One Or Two Piece Leathers

I'd appreciate some of your thoughts on whether I would be better off with a one piece leather suit or a two-piece.

Background. I have been riding BMWs on the street for many years.

Currently ride an RnineT.

I currently wear Aerostitch textile gear.

Went to some track days this year.

Heard about the S1000RR and was intrigued - I admire sophisticated machinery.

Went to the CSS school and felt the S1000RR would be my next bike.

I expect to go to maybe 4 track-day weekends next year.

However, most of my riding will be on the road.

Typically a two-day weekend on back roads to an interesting city where my wife meets me, and then return.

Country twisties in MA, VT, NH and ME. I usually ride for 90 minutes and take a 10 or 15 minute break.

The rides often have some cool temperatures - I use the heated grips - but also a heated vest.

I expect to go back to CSS for one or two more class weekends, but I would rent their gear - much easier than schelping my stuff through the airports.

So - on the one hand - I think the one-piece suits are well arranged and work well.

However, some people have told me the two piece can be more convenient if I need to stop along the way.

Also - I don't think I would need perforated leather in either case - it would make the cold weather harder to handle, and if it is hot at a track day, the sessions are only 15 or 20 minutes.

That said - I would welcome any of your wisdom to guid my choice.

Traceyz;

Welcome to the Forum!

You have thought this out pretty thoroughly IMHO. I have both but only use the one-piece at the track if I am only riding. If I am corner working, I wear the two piece so I can shed the top when manning a corner station. Perforated suits are nice in July and August but otherwise, let in too much cooler air in the spring and the fall. Just make sure your two piece suit has at least a 300 degree zipper connecting your jacket to your pants. I have a Joe Rocket two-piece set and the zipper starts close to the vertical zipper on one side of the jacket and ends near the opposite side of the same zipper. I have also crashed twice in the Joe Rocket suit and the zipper held both times.

Rainman

Two piece suits certainly do offer some advantages. I tend to prefer 1pc suits myself. They generally offer more flex panels and make it easier to move around on the bike. Where the gear is being used is probably the most important aspect of what to choose. On the street 1pc leathers are slightly cumbersome and often attract more attention than you want. On the track 1pc leathers make more sense.

Some things to think about when it comes to perforation. Unless you do a lot of riding in the cold I would avoid a non perforated suit. You can always add layers under a perforated suit but you can never add perforation and air flow to a non perforated suit. That one warm day with no air flow is pretty miserable. When I do cold track days I wear an insulated under layer. It's pretty good at blocking the air flow and providing warmth. All of my suits are perforated. Keep in mind too that track riding is a lot more physically exerting than street riding. It might only be 20 minutes for a session but every single bit of comfort you can provide yourself makes a huge difference on a hot day. I also live in the deep south and it's humid here so take my suggestion with a grain of salt and base your preference on your climate.

Removing the top is the main advantage of a 2pc suit for cooling on a warm day. 1pc suit people have a few tricks up our sleeves when it comes to that. Several places make a "belt" that you can use around your waist over the suit to hold it up while you have the top section off. It just hangs there and the belt holds it up. I'll admit this is less than ideal but it certainly beats sweating it out in the heat. That also would get you some weird looks in public though with your arms hanging around your waist. A lot of the "old timers" at the track don't even bother with a belt. I have seen people using bungee cords and tie down straps as belts to hold up their suits on hot days.

Trying on lots of different types of gear is really helpful. Years and years ago when I knew absolutely nothing of riding gear I bought my first 1pc suit. I ended up with well known maker's bottom of the line cowhide suit. I wore it for a while and then one day tried on a higher quality suit. I was astonished at how much lighter, flexible and more ventilated the higher quality suit was. When I bought the first suit I did not understand the value you get for the money on the higher quality suits. They seemed like they were the same but in reality they were VERY different. I was happy with the higher quality suit for quite some time until a friend of mine asked me to get his suit out of his car. I picked it up and was astonished at how light it was and how much more ventilation it had. I made a quick mental note of the brand and eventually found one in my size I could try on. It was like wearing Pajamas in comparison to mine. It was also close to double the price too but you often get what you pay for.

Regardless if you go one piece or two piece, perforated or non perforated. Don't neglect the under layer. A good under layer can make ANY suit 100x more comfortable. Under layers can provide warmth and block wind but they can also wick away sweat and eliminate pressure points that can distract you while you are riding. Good socks are important as well to keep your feet cool and dry.

BTW. Welcome to the forum! :)

Thanks to you both for the replies.

More material to consider - although there isn't a clear cut answer.

I note the difference in replies about perforation - maybe depends on your home :-)

Atlanta - perforated.

Syracuse - no perforated.

Sorry I hadn't replied sooner - I initially saw my post had to go through the 'moderator' - so I was sort of waiting for that approval.

But de factor - here I am!

I do look forward to the forum - a good source of information.

And look forward to meeting ore of you at school sessions in the future.

My bike should arrive later this week - and I hope the weather will be warm enough for a few rides before winter really settles in.

• 6 months later...

Well, I normally wear (besides helmet, gloves of course) my Dainese jacket and Garne boots when going somewhere (I also have Dainese leather pants if needed), but if going for a fun ride I wear 1 piece just for added protection as I will just be heading back home so don't need the convenience of the 2 piece.

Along that line, I'd like to plug the CSS AGV Sport offer to students. You can get an extremely good price as a student on leathers by AGV Sport. Since the schools AGV Podium actually fit me, I ordered my own from AGV.

Along that line, I'd like to plug the CSS AGV Sport offer to students. You can get an extremely good price as a student on leathers by AGV Sport. Since the schools AGV Podium actually fit me, I ordered my own from AGV.

Oh wow good to know. How does that work? You ordered at the 2-Day camp?

Got the offer details and called AGV when I got back home. Very helpful people. Very happy with my AGV Phantom 1 piece (same as schools student leathers) but obviously new and worn just by me :rolleyes: ) Same is true on the discount students can get on Dunlop Q3's, as soon as I can burn up my Bridgestones, Lara will be getting a call from me to get a set of Q3's.

So beyond the initial training benefits of CSS there are other great perks!!!!!

Got the offer details and called AGV when I got back home. Very helpful people. Very happy with my AGV Phantom 1 piece (same as schools student leathers) but obviously new and worn just by me :rolleyes: ) Same is true on the discount students can get on Dunlop Q3's, as soon as I can burn up my Bridgestones, Lara will be getting a call from me to get a set of Q3's.

Oh cool ! Damn just bought a new suit as well. Bought a 2-piece suit but of course zips up nicely because I didn't want to wear a rental. I mean if I had to I would but decided on just buying one. Are those Dunlaps the ones they call 'Gumbo', super sticky ones? Currently have the Michelin PP 2CT but interested in Dunlops.

Oh cool ! Damn just bought a new suit as well. Bought a 2-piece suit but of course zips up nicely because I didn't want to wear a rental. I mean if I had to I would but decided on just buying one. Are those Dunlaps the ones they call 'Gumbo', super sticky ones? Currently have the Michelin PP 2CT but interested in Dunlops.

Its the Q3 Qualifiers, which are the same as they run on the school bikes. They are a track/street tire. If you Google them they are always at the top of peoples tire shoot outs.

Its the Q3 Qualifiers, which are the same as they run on the school bikes. They are a track/street tire. If you Google them they are always at the top of peoples tire shoot outs.

The Q3's a GREAT tires, tons of grip for track, last a pretty long time and good initial price. The performance of the tires is awesome.

Thank you both, planning to purchase these after these PPs' wear out. I've only heard great things about those Q3s'.