Coolest Sounding Bike?

OK, horsepower junkies out there, what is the coolest sounding bike you have heard?

The LOUDEST track bike I've heard is my little Moriwaki 250 - Keith once told me he could evaluate the quality of my throttle control from INSIDE the classroom at Streets of Willow when I was riding that one. :)

The coolest-sounding racebike I have heard so far is my husband's 2010 S1000rr with Power Commander and Graves exhaust. But the 2015 S1000RR school bikes were fun to listen to while riding them because they had a great grumbling, popping sound on deceleration. I haven't ridden one of the new 2016s yet, I don't know if the newest ones still do that!

What bikes sound great to you?

I love the RR's. Nothing beats their high pitched scream as they are going through the gears on the quick shifter. Especially if they are equipped with an exhaust.

An interesting video. Nate Kern on one of the original pre-production RR's at Roebling. Pretty amazing sound as at the time no additional exhaust options existed for the bike. :)

Second to the amazing sound of the RR would be the MV Agusta F4. The F4's engine was co developed by Ferrari and originally based off one of their F1 V8's that got cut in half. They make that distinctive Ferrari sound and are a sheer pleasure to listen to.

Here's a video of a special edition Senna F4 (a tribute to Aryton Senna the "greatest driver that ever lived") without exhaust baffles.

OK, I love my s1000, it's a great bike etc...etc...but...when it comes down to sound, for me...s1000rr ? No...Ducati ? No... The sound I wish my s1000 would be reproducing is that of the Aprilia RSV4...it is just so raw. Love it...I even think that if the RSV4 was not so small (and I did try it), and getting spare parts here so painful...I may have bought it over the s1000rr. Oh well...my 2 cents

And of course. It's a cold day and I can't ride. So now I'm looking up sound clips on youtube. Troy Corser's BMW Race bike on the Monza straight.

One of the things I love about the distinctive BMW sound is the Doppler effect as it approaches and starts going away from you. It's a very distinctive sound to the bike.

I have to agree the RSV4 has a great sound as well. A friend of mine has one and it's quite amazing to listen to. Here's a video of that sound as well. Although I can't say that I recommend going those speeds on a public road. :/

Robert, all bikes and cars have that dobbler-effect going on them. Listen to the horns of a police car or ambulance as they pass.

I prefer a deeper more "growling" sound over the high-pitched sound of a high-revving race engine. The sound of the MotoGP bikes at "low" rpms is awesome.

Robert, all bikes and cars have that dobbler-effect going on them. Listen to the horns of a police car or ambulance as they pass.

I prefer a deeper more "growling" sound over the high-pitched sound of a high-revving race engine. The sound of the MotoGP bikes at "low" rpms is awesome.

Absolutely. It's physics. As the wave is compressed and as the wave is no longer compressed in regards to the listener.

The thing is that most bikes the Doppler effect seem less pronounced than it does on the BMW. It's subtle but it's quite distinctive to the RR. Some bikes do sound "similar" but the speed and the quickshifter of the RR make it a very distinctive sound. I know when an RR is on the straight due to the distinctive sound as it passes. Maybe It's just me. :)

The growling bikes certainly do have their charms but my preference is the bikes screaming at high pitch. Another bike that sounds very interesting. The Honda 250RR. A little 4cyl 250 that revs all the way to 20K RPM!

My preference for high revving engines comes from the amazing sound that F1 cars make. Here's a Renault V10 on an engine test bed. I love that strange harmonic you get with V10's.

Great thread idea and clips, but the sound recording quality leaves me a bit disappointed. There is so much echo, wind and mic distance from the engine that it's hard to appreciate the clips. Also isn't the sound in the clips mainly an exhaust sound? Running a lavalier mic low on the bike close the engine, wouldn't the sound be a lot different?

I'm planning to use external mics for my cameras next season. I'm still not sure what could be a good combination of mount and mic quality. I will start with one of those omni mics for voice and a sticky cable clip...

Spaghetti,

I have to agree with you there. Some bikes have an intake noise that is often just as lovely as the exhaust noise. A good example of that is the MV Agusta F4. If you look at the front of the bike you notice the fuel tank is two pieces. The front half is a gigantic air box and the black trim on the side are actually hidden intake ducts that feed from intakes under the nose of the bike. Under all the covers is a set of air intake trumpets for the engine that point right at the riders head as they ride. I have tried to record the sound as you hear it riding but I have not had much luck.

MV%252520Agusta%252520%2525281%252529.jp

33219_full.jpg

I'm with Kevin - I was going to post the same thing. An old RC51 with the right pipes sounds positively bad ass.

I'm also kind of partial to the 675. Other triples might sound just as raunchy, I don't know - the Triumph is the only one I've heard.