Watching Races - How Are You Doing It?

Hotfoot

OK, help me out here. It seems to have gotten a lot more difficult to watch racing, especially MotoAmerica. How are you doing it? Are you streaming it from somewhere, and if so, is it working well? Post up links and instructions, please, if you can!

Or, do you have cable/satellite channels that are showing MotoGP and other events? Which networks and what cable/satellite provider? Did you have to get a special package to get the right channel(s)?

Hottie;

We have SBK and MotoGP on beINSports via Time Warner cable in Central New York State. It didn't have the Daytona 200 and I am not sure it will be carrying any USA racing but I have watched the first two rounds of SBK (yawn) on their channel 417.

Kevin

BeIN Sports should be on Dish too.

www.fanschoice.tv was broadcasting most MotoAmerica races last year. I don't even begin to understand how it is possible to put together an effort like MotoAmerica without insuring the races have free TV broadcasting first.

BeIN Sports should be on Dish too.

www.fanschoice.tv was broadcasting most MotoAmerica races last year. I don't even begin to understand how it is possible to put together an effort like MotoAmerica without insuring the races have free TV broadcasting first.

Yeah, right there with you on that. I'm sure they are trying; I really hope they get something put together soon!

Were you able to successfully watch races on the fanschoice website? I tried watching some streaming video of Joe Roberts' races last year but found it difficult to locate the schedule and when there were delays it got really confusing because there were no updates to tell you what was happening.

I'd really like to find a good way to know the MotoAmerica broadcasting schedule and links for where & when to watch.

Hottie;

I was trying to watch the Daytona 200 Saturday (on fanschoice I think) and the streaming froze at lap 23 or so. I tried rebooting a couple of times and finally just turned it off. I was happy to read at Road Racing World.com who won - but I won't spoil it for anyone who has this copied to view later.

Kevin

Hottie;

I was trying to watch the Daytona 200 Saturday (on fanschoice I think) and the streaming froze at lap 23 or so. I tried rebooting a couple of times and finally just turned it off. I was happy to read at Road Racing World.com who won - but I won't spoil it for anyone who has this copied to view later.

Kevin

OMG isn't that infuriating? And of course you don't know if it will come back so you just keep waiting, or checking back in, and there really isn't any other place to look for info, except maybe at live timing for laptimes and position, but THAT'S a far cry from watching the action... ugh.

I stream both MotoGP and WSBK using the videopass. I used to watch them on Fox and BeIN Sports respectively but without a DVR it was difficult getting up early/staying up late to watch them. For Moto2/3, they only had them in standard definition sometime later in the day. Obviously, motorcycle racing doesn't have quite the same following in the states so programming isn't that important.

The MotoAmerica PR guy on ZX6R forums says there should be an improvement with streaming this year. He mentioned that last year they were pretty lucky to get all the stuff they were able to in that amount of time. It looks like the website is still a work in progress for detailed, easy to access information though.

Personally, I thought last weeks WSBK races were pretty good. If you are not a fan of Kawasaki, maybe not so much but still some pretty good racing. I usually find the 600 classes to be a bit more exciting.

I just changed my DirecTV account yesterday to get BeIN for this year's MotoGP but even then you have to dig into the searches to find it. At least that was my experience. Velocity has carried BSB but last year the season was pretty far in before they start showing the races. It is surprisingly easy to find the Motocross stuff on DirecTV. With DirecTV I have found the best bet is to search "Motorcycle Racing." You get a bunch of individual listings under that category and you can go in and pick individually. FIM, M****er E****y Motocross, AMSOIL and MotoGP. Just searching for MotoGP can be, um...frustrating.

I don't remember having major technical issues with fanschoice.tv but it's true that they don't have a broadcast schedule so you have to guess from the racing schedule or listen from the commentators. By the way, I forgot their names but I find them very good. They manage to stay on the top of the race with the limited camera visuals they have and are plenty knowledgeable about the riders stories and paddocks development.

A good tip with fanschoice.tv or the WSBK/MotoGP passes is to use a web tv to stream the contents on your living room big screen. I have an AppleTV and run Airplay from an ipad. It works amazingly well and I enjoy the race like any other hd TV channel.

Here in Cincinnati, we also have MotoAmerica and WSB and MotoGP on beINSports. Have watched first two World Superbike races and looking forward to MotoGP this weekend. Coverage seems decent.

BEIN Sports, One stop shopping for all you Road-Racing Needs,

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/motogp-world-superbike-and-motoamerica-will-all-be-televised-on-bein-sports-network-in-north-america/

Coverage is quite good with very limited commercial interruptions during the actual race

Yeah, I noticed that. Once race is on I think there was maybe one break if that.

BeIN doesn't broadcast all categories and races though. I prefer Supersport than Superbike, but could only watch one race on BeIN last weekend. Also I remember Superbike races delayed until Sunday night?

• 7 months later...

My local cable provider doesn't provide Bein Sports HD so I started with a season pass from motogp.com. The price didn't bother me but the picture isn't great and you have to watch it on a computer or stream it from your computer/phone to the TV.

Recently, I dropped Comcast and signed up with Playstation Vue. The overall experience is better with Comcast/Tivo but at least I get the channels I want now.

In case you're interested, the downsides of Vue (compared to cable/Tivo) are:

• no 30-sec skip - takes much longer to get past commercials.
  • can't fast forward, rewind, or even pause for more than a few seconds when watching anything live.
  • you can still save favorites which are held in the cloud and updated when a new one airs, but there's no ability to mark one watched or to delete it from your list when you're done with it. "Did I watch that yet?" Also when you finish playing back a show, instead of going back to a menu to pick the next one, it immediately starts playing the oldest one of that show. Why would I want to watch episode 1 immediately after finishing episode 7? How is this a good thing? I just want it to shut up while I look for something else.
  • ordered 2 Fire Sticks from Amazon and both arrived defective. They'd overheat and stop working 30 minutes after signing up. Amazon Fire TV support is awful. I'm now using a PS4. Would be okay if I liked video games but I don't.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm watching via BeIN on Verizon FIOS. Setting the DVR can be tricky as I missed the early part of the 2016 MotoGP season and thought they didn't have it at all but I got a show called MotoGP Highlights. I have to remember to check my DVR setting every year because the broadcasters will change something and my racing won't record.

I like to watch:

• MotoGP (Premiere class only)
  • WSBK (Love the 2 race format)
  • World Supersport (though it's getting boring with Kenan, though he's my may- always at the front)
  • MotoAmerica (everything I can get - GO! HOME TEAM!)

• 6 months later...
On 3/15/2016 at 8:48 PM, JS818 said:

I just changed my DirecTV account yesterday to get BeIN for this year's MotoGP but even then you have to dig into the searches to find it. At least that was my experience. Velocity has carried BSB but last year the season was pretty far in before they start showing the races. It is surprisingly easy to find the Motocross stuff on DirecTV. With DirecTV I have found the best bet is to search "Motorcycle Racing." You get a bunch of individual listings under that category and you can go in and pick individually. FIM, M****er E****y Motocross, AMSOIL and MotoGP. Just searching for MotoGP can be, um...frustrating.

I have DirectTV too.  I ordered the least expensive package with a Whole House DVR and one remote TV with a minimal sports package that had BEin Sports.  I used the SEARCH function and searched for "GP", and MotoGP shows up.  I set up the DVR to record all MotoGP, and MotoAmerica Events and I get them all, and can watch them whenever I want. You do need to go into the "Series Options" and check "Record ALL" (or it stops at 5) and add a 1 hour extension to the recordings (or you will be watching a race after a red flag delay and it will stop with 3 laps to go...aghhh).

I watched the MotoGP Qualifications this morning (all three classes) in the garage (aka Man Cave) while I cleaned the bike and checked tire pressures before heading out to canyon run this morning.  Yea...it was an excuse to go to the Man Cave.  I won't spoil anything but Zarco's race position surprised me.

JB, how can you not watch the MotoGP2 and MotoGP3 events?  I find I learn more about bike control watching the 2s and 3s.  The bikes are so close the only difference are the riders and their techniques.  How can you appreciate Zarco in the Premier if you never saw his strategies in the 2s?  I will admit that I don't watch the races as close as the Premier, especially while maintaining the RR, but it is still great to hear the event unfold and watch whenever the broadcasters voices raise a few octaves.

Spaget, I get all the MA events, you may have to check your settings.  Of course I watch nothing live so as long as the races end up on the DVR for my weekday evening viewing I am happy.

I can't watch Moto2/3 because it's too much content- I'm behind as it is. I like to listen to/ watch post race interviews and I like the story behind the story, but with a busy life I don't have enough leftover; it would feel like starting over with learning the personalities and is the same reason I don't go looking for CCS or WERA.

The "cord cutting" discussion came up again at a weekend cookout, right on the heels of the "paying for college" conversation. I would be fine with cutting if I could get MotoGP, WSBK and MotoAmerica. What streaming service offers that? BeIN has a stream, but only if you have a CableTV subscription....I might be able to cancel my DVR, but there's just not enough value in doing so.