Brake Lever Protector And Balance Of Handlebars?

I got a new Braking Lever Protector on my S1000RR and it has a different weight than the original handlebar weight on the left handlebar now. Needs the handlebar weight be replaced with the same weight or does it make a difference in riding the bike? Balance?

something like this: http://s1161.photobucket.com/user/Ry6rr/media/P1040002_zps7d49a574.jpg.html

Thanks for Information

It's unlikely that you need to change the handlebar weights as the weights are there to dampen vibrations. Consider that the handlebars are not symmetrically weighted from the begining (e.g. no throttle on the left side), and would assume that it's only the rotation around the steering stem that matters.

Just an observation. An active ABS system on an S1000RR makes a lever guard a bit less useful. One other thing worth thinking about. Lever guards can have unintended consequences in crashes as a member of our forum found out the hard way.

Just like frame sliders however some people won't ride without them. Personal choice is a wonderful thing!

I agree with the bar weight sentiment. A few pounds extra on either bar is not going to make much of a difference when it comes to overcoming the gyroscopic effect of the front wheel. The bike itself by design will keep that front wheel aligned with the rear unless you actively input force to change that. Gravity is pulling the extra weight straight down rather in the direction needed to affect steering. Of course theory and actual practice can be quite different. I'm curious like Cobie is. :)

Very cool,

Please do report back and let us know how you like them. While ABS helps a bit with locked wheels there's still the "extra thrill" caused by unintended braking which is not helpful if someone gets too close. I have thought about them myself for my track bike but I'm still on the fence about them.

FWIW, my husband bought the BMW lever guard for his S1000rr. He had the same concern, but his logic was that BMW designed the lever guard FOR that bike FOR racing, and therefore (being BMW) they presumably engineered and tested it for that purpose. Ergo, either it is the right weight that it won't cause any problem OR the difference doesn't matter, since there was no recommendation to change the other bar end.

I don't know if that logic is correct but it sounded good and it made him feel better. :)

It's on my list to get one, I think it's a good idea to have one, especially for racing.

Ok. You learn something new every day. :)

I did not realize there was a BMW HP lever guard. I could only find the one for the 2015+ bikes. Is there one for the older bikes?

Lever guards are swell and all but I have this strange obsession to collect ALL of the HP parts regardless if I need them or not. Sold. To the crazy guy in the BMW Motorsport Shirt. :)

So have you found out that BMW car oil filters are interchangeable with those for bikes.

The difference being the bike filter is about 18mm shorter to allow for the nut welded onto the end of the filter for easy filter replacement. Thus the replacement period for the BMW motorcycle filters is a third less than the car version. Over here riders of BMWs often just buy the car filter - not only does it have a longer service life, it is half the cost. To remove a used car filter from the motorcycle one need only apply a screw driver at an angle sufficient to unscrew the filter. Yes it is slightly messier.

• 2 weeks later...

Have tested it now, I feel like the bike is very very slightly pulling to the right side (leaning to the right side) when leaving the handlebars alone and going with the cruise control or letting the bike roll. Didn't notice it without the Lever guard. Will test the difference putting back the original handlebar weight.

There is no difference between the protector leaver and the handlebar weight. It's a common production thing that the BMW S1000RR is leaning bit to one side.

Either that or you're just feeling the crowning of the road.