Replace Leathers After Low Side?

So I finally experienced a low side this past weekend. T8 at COTA, a guy tried to stuff it in the corner and took me out in the process. I banged my head so I know I need a new helmet but am curious about the leathers. There are no holes worn in them though some of the stretchy material on the inside forearm popped at the seems. 3 or 4 quarter inch spots. Looks like they could be stitched by someone who knows what they are doing. My inclination is to replace them since they are the only thing between me and the tarmac if this ever happens again. Anyone have thoughts on this?

post-24245-0-48703900-1458844598_thumb.jpgpost-24245-0-51793700-1458844606_thumb.jpg

This kind of suit damage can be repaired by a specialized shop. Mine was fixed after a couple of slides by checking the seems, recoloring and adding a coating product to let the leathers slide again. I didn't realize this last problem before the fixing, but a scratched suit won't slide on the asphalt as well. It costed me $300 all together, it was in a similar state than yours.

I was COTA last weekend also. Those leathers don't look too bad. I had a standard leather worker add a patch to mine after a low side just to reinforce an area. It wasn't pretty or anything but it did the job.

There was a guy at COTA in 2A who's suit looked like a patchwork of accidents. I don't think any part of that suit was untouched. There were some seams zip tied and I think others that looked like yarn holding it together. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Thanks! I went ahead and ordered a new suit. I figure I can repair the old suit and keep as a spare for when someone wants to try a track day but has "no suit". :) I lost 20lbs since I bought the A-stars suit so it was fitting a bit loose now anyway. I figured that plus the low side was justification for new leathers. Besides, it's kind of like a new paint job. :) So to take my own thread just a tad off topic I'll ask a fitment question. Seeing as how my A-stars suit was definitely fitting loose, this new suit looks and feels like it was painted on. Not uncomfortable or anything, just tight and to the point that I need help getting out of it at the moment (with under suit). I suspect it will stretch enough that it won't be a problem for long, but I also find that the sleeves are just a tad short for my loooong arms. About 1.5" to be exact. The gap, however; is covered by the gauntlet of the glove. If I go up a size, the suit will fit too loose but the sleeves would likely fall at the base of palm. Anyone else with long arms/legs that has any thoughts? Sacrifice tightness for length or vice versa?

"Putting up a long arm here"

Yeah, plenty of experience. My old Dainese was ~ 2inches too short in the arms a couple of inches too wide, and 4" too short in the legs. I ended up having a suit custom fitted for me. Fits like the proverbial glove :)

Dainese used to do this, but it would take months to get it delivered. Not sure about Alpinestars. In the US, Z Custom Leathers might still be around.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I sent the new suit back and custom ordered as KHP and Hotfoot suggested. Should be another 3-4 weeks until arrival. I went with a custom Spidi suit since I had been looking at those for a few years now. I guess I finally had reason to pull the trigger. I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome. it may see its inaugural use at the Code RACE in June. :)

Awesome! Spidi suits look nice. Did you do any custom design stuff or just sizing? Where are the Spidi suits made?

I really like the Track Wind Pro Dovizioso suit that they make so I had them do that in a custom size. There are lots of cool combos you can create on their website and order. You can upload logos and such as well. They are made in Italy.

Here's a link to their site http://custom.spidi.com

Here's an image of what mine should look like. Maybe a little obnoxious, but hey it looks fast so maybe it'll add some HP to my bike and decrease my lap times! :)

spidi-track-wind-replicay-130-348-.jpg

Wow, you are a very handsome fella! And that LOOK - is that "Blue Steel"? :D

OK I jest but those do look cool, and yep, they look fast. You definitely need some carbon fiber bling on the bike, too. :) Talk to rchase, he's got the market cornered on go-fast and look-fast accessories, right Robert?