Which Css Track Would You Choose?

So I am thinking that I might do a CSS Level 1 day this year (assuming there are still any openings - if not it could be next year). My question: I have enough air miles to get to any of the US school locations. All things considered, which would be the ideal track? I am leaning towards Willow but that is based on nothing at all.

You shouldn't have an issue finding an opening, especially if you are open to most any location. I've been to LVMS, Willow Springs and NJMP. I like all 3 for slightly different reasons. Fun factor though, probably Willow Springs. There are some nice elevation changes with quite a bit of technicality to it. NJMP felt like a faster track so it was fun but not my favorite. I've been to LVMS with them many many times. One of the reasons for this is that it is so easy to get in and out of Vegas without any loooong drives from the airport. The lack of elevation change may be a good thing if you have not been on the track much. You can pretty much see where you need to go almost anywhere on the track. Traveling to/from Willow Springs was a trek from the airport and NJMP was just a little further than LVMS. To sum it up, Willow if you don't mind the inconvenience of driving.

Hey, thanks for that reply. I got kind of excited about the Vegas option after reading your post, but checking the schedule I see that there are only 2-day camps there this year. I can't shell out that kind of cash - money's a little tight this year, plus I am paying in 75-cent Canadian dollars which really doesn't help.

Willow might be the right option. Actually I have enough air miles to get myself there plus my two racing team mates...this could be fun.

I'm pretty partial to Barber myself. Obviously a bit of location bias because it's in my back yard. Barber has a nice mix of slow technical stuff with areas where you can get moving pretty well. There's also lots of elevation changes which keeps things fun.

Barber has amazingly manicured landscaping and a jaw dropping museum on site. There's a great hotel right across the street too.

Some shots at Barber from my last few times at the school.

12G_0763.JPG

12W_0891.JPG

12W_0871.JPG

12Y_25781.JPG

12A_99211.JPG

IMG_4167.JPG

IMG_5621.JPG

overhead_view.jpg

Barber sure looks interesting.

I've heard/seen great things about the Sonoma/Sears Point/Infineon Raceway as well.

Hugh

I LOVE Sears Point; of all the tracks I've been to (Streets, Laguna Seca, Mid-Ohio, VIR, Pocono, Watkins Glen, Mosport, Shannonville, Nelson Ledges, Beaver Run, NJMP, NHIS, NY Safety Track), Sears was my favorite. The School doesn't go to Mid-Ohio anymore as that would be my second choice.

Regardless...go dogs!

Kevin

Barber is my favorite, too, you can make the whole trip more of a motorcycling experience by going there and taking in the museum, too, it is AMAZING. The track is gorgeous, it's a great facility and the nearby food and lodging is pretty good, too, for a racetrack. :) VIR is beautiful, too, and has a nice long straightaway but it's pretty far from an airport.

Miller could be a good choice - not too difficult to travel too and it might be cooler than some of the other tracks mentioned.

Streets of Willow has good availability, it almost never rains there, and that track is one of the best for coaching (more flexibility on time and more ways for a coach to catch up to a student due to many track cutoffs, etc.) and it is a good technical track for learning... but it isn't the most scenic place, it's a little far from an airport, there is not a good nearby hotel (20-30 minutes away at best) and the classroom facility is pretty basic.

A starting point to narrow down the choices might be to call the office first and found out which dates and tracks still have availability, then go from there.

If there's any chance you can pull it off, a 2-day camp is a GREAT way to go, especially for you since you are already racing. Some less experienced riders actually get more ride time than they really want in a two day camp but for you I think it would be fantastic and something you really should consider; that would open up the choice of Vegas, which is an easy one for travel and a nice track for the BMW since it gives you a little more room to open it up (compared to Streets of Willow). Plus with a 2-day camp your coach can spend more time with you both on and off the track.

I agree with Hotfoot on the 2 day camp. Just bring plenty of energy. You WILL be tired afterwards with all the extra riding. Barely enough time to go to the bathroom between on track and classroom sessions. I'm doing two of the one day's this year. I'll probably do a camp again next year.

If you do end up at Barber let me know. I have a small group of friends that I do the school with every year and we have this tradition when it comes to taking Canadian racers out to dinner. I'm just making the tradition part up but it would be great to meet you and take you to dinner. I suppose we could make it a tradition. :)

One thing is for sure. You are going to have a tough time choosing. There are a lot of amazing race tracks here in the states.

P.S. If you have not experienced an S1000RR on a long straight you are missing out. Barber is a great track but one of the things I really miss is distorting time and space above 150mph on a super long straight. Trust me though. The corners and elevation changes make up for it. :)

Thanks everyone for the input.

This is developing quickly. I actually realized that I have enough air miles to fly the entire Prairie Dog Racing team to any of the locations, so there is a good chance that all three of us will be coming. How cool is that?

Barber looks awesome, both the track and the museum, but unfortunately those dates conflict with one of our race weekends. VIR in August is a possibility. Watched some video of the track and the surface looks wonderful...maybe a bit guard-raily in places...

I really don't think a 2-day camp can happen this year. I am sure it would be ideal but it is just too expensive in Canuckistan currency.

Thanks everyone for the input.

This is developing quickly. I actually realized that I have enough air miles to fly the entire Prairie Dog Racing team to any of the locations, so there is a good chance that all three of us will be coming. How cool is that?

Barber looks awesome, both the track and the museum, but unfortunately those dates conflict with one of our race weekends. VIR in August is a possibility. Watched some video of the track and the surface looks wonderful...maybe a bit guard-raily in places...

I really don't think a 2-day camp can happen this year. I am sure it would be ideal but it is just too expensive in Canuckistan currency.

OK, money ideas to help fund 2 day camp:

Got any sponsors you can talk to about helping out with this fantastic training opportunity?

Any insurance benefits you can utilize as a result of taking a rider safety training course?

Tax write-offs as result of investing in training for your race team?

Did you try calling the office to see if bringing two extra people and talking them up into a 2 day camp could get you a referral discount? (I don't know if this is possible, but you could ask!)

Bake sale?

Trackside swapmeet at your next race to sell off all your extra motorcycle parts, accessories, fairings, race tire takeoffs, etc.?

Cut out Starbucks for 3 months?

Ok I am mostly joking with these but the first three are all ones I have used to fund or justify training. :) And I think Cobie could buy himself a brand new Shelby Mustang Cobra with what he'd save if he cut out Starbucks.

It will really be awesome if you can all go together, and I really do hope I get to meet you all!!!