Corner Names

It seems like any Track more than a few years of age has some of its corners named, especially road courses in Europe. In the US Laguna Seca has the Corkscrew, Rainey Curve, Andretti Hairpin (although I never hear that reference anymore); Mid-Ohio has the Keyhole, The Carousel, Thunder Valley, The Esses; Road America has Canada Corner, Barber has some corners named but when I think of New Jersey Motor Sports Park, I can't think of a single name. Am I missing something here? Did some (any?) of NJMP corner's ever pick up any nicknames?

Good point Rainman...the Brits are expert at this. At Brands Hatch, and Cadwell Pk, I don't recall any numbers, just names.

I ride a few tracks that are primarily car tracks. The car people have one way of numbering the turns and us bike people have another. In a lot of cases it gets so confusing with the official track map having one number and the unofficial one having another one that we end up using descriptive language to describe the corner. Often times this is the way a nickname gets started. None of ours are that interesting beyond "the second left hander" but I'm sure if we got more creative the names would stick better. :)

Barber is much like this with "The Museum complex", "Charlotte's Web" and "The back straight" even though it's official track map keeps bikes in mind with it's turn numbering.

These names can be a moving target as a track evolves. Road Atlanta is a good example of this with "Gravity Cavity" which is no longer as wild as it was in the past.

RChase;

You're right about the numbering confusion. I found it is a challenge even at CSS Events because numbers are so abstract when you're attacking a corner and want to fully digest it with your coach. If you say Turns 8A and 8B, you are correct but it doesn't create the instant recognition that saying "The Corkscrew" does. Even TV announcers sound more knowledgable when they identify corners by name (the names at Phillips Island come to mind)

I initiated this thread because NJMP in particular has two events on the Moto America calendar and is open to bikes and cars probably 9 months of the year; but still no corner names as far as I know.

I can't tell you how many times I would talk to Cobie about a linked series of corners there and would start the conversation with "you know, where that sweeping right turns into a diminishing radius right turn only to turn left and into a tight carousel"

Anyway for a track that is pushing it's 10th birthday the lack of nick names is puzzling.

Kevin

It seems like any Track more than a few years of age has some of its corners named, especially road courses in Europe. In the US Laguna Seca has the Corkscrew, Rainey Curve, Andretti Hairpin (although I never hear that reference anymore); Mid-Ohio has the Keyhole, The Carousel, Thunder Valley, The Esses; Road America has Canada Corner, Barber has some corners named but when I think of New Jersey Motor Sports Park, I can't think of a single name. Am I missing something here? Did some (any?) of NJMP corner's ever pick up any nicknames?

Turn 8 at @ mid-o is called Madness for good reason. :P

Palmer in Mass is still in the throws of naming it's corners. That track has two downhill sections like Laguna. I sent in a suggestion for the first corner at the bottom of the first hill. Turn 7, at the bottom of "whiskey hill" should be called "shot glass". :) We will see if they take my suggestion. lol You used to be able to scrape you shoulder on the wall there before they moved the wall back. #Crazyloco!!!!

Maybe see you at Mid-O Kevin? If so, look for me in garages 1-6, black and yellow r6 with a big C sticker on it.

Csmith;

I'd love to get back to Mid-Ohio; my all time favorite track. I have retired from the track however over a medical issue but did ride for the first time in two years last Thursday. It was so great to get out after such a long layoff that maybe I'll ignore my malady and throw caution to the wind. If I do head out there I will definitely let you know.

Kevin

• 1 month later...

As some of you did, I watched the Moto America races from New Jersey Motor Sports Park and marveled at how different the track looks on TV than in person. I have been on that track dozens of times and so I was very curious how it would look on TV and my first reaction was wow! Maybe it's the lack of landscape or elevation changes but having been on other "TV" tracks like Laguna Seca, Sears Point (Sonoma), VIR or Mid Ohio, watching those races I can connect immediately with where bikes are on track and what it feels like at almost every point. NJMP, not so much. It's probably camera angles or positions but I was constantly needing a long view to get perspective.

I know others here have ridden the circuits where the MotoGP or SBK races are scheduled, tracks that are televised internationally so it would be interesting to hear your perceptions about how you view it from a bike (or car) and how it looks on TV.

Kevin