Ecu Reflash And Rider Preprogramming

I'm reading a site discussing what they are calling a common characteristic of most modern sportbikes to have a jerky off throttle response due to many manufacturers turning the fuel off at the injectors when off throttle. According to them, this is not only potentially harmful to the engine (which I buy) but also upsets the chassis during mid-corner throttle corrections. Having very minimal experience with carbureted bikes, I'd imagine that this wasn't a problem when riding one of those machines.

They also state that this can help with corner entries and just overall rideability of the bike.

From a bike tuning standpoint, do you think this is a good investment in financial resources? Are there any situations where this is valuable or outweighs a good understanding and application of TC Rule #1?

I know on the BMW S1000rr, the Slick mode changes throttle response and significantly reduces engine braking, which can help carry more speed into corners and reduce the effect of a jerky roll-off, I like riding in that mode as it definitely helps me roll into corners with more entry speed. It takes some getting used to, though, it feels a lot different. Or, the Race ECU package allows you to get in and set ALL KINDS of parameters on throttle response and engine braking, tuning it exactly how you want it.

I think it would be a nice thing to add on to a sportbike, if it is affordable and can be done - did you check to see if it voids the warranty to re-flash the ECU? What does it cost? Doesn't a Power Commander with dyno tuning address the throttle response for both on roll on and roll off, or is it only for roll-on?

As far as the throttle control rules go... do you remember Throttle Control Rule #2? :)

On the S10000RR the Race ECU completely transforms the bike. The base maps for the Race ECU are pulled straight out of World Superbike. You get full power in all modes and the mode selection no longer affects the engine map.

The Race Calibration kit is an extra add on. This gives you the adjust ability and as Hotfoot said you can adjust just about anything you want on the bike. Most people go with the ECU and the RCK and the TI Akrapovic exhaust comes with the ECU. The RCK allows adjustment on DTC, DDC, ABS, ECU and pretty much any other system on the bike. It's pretty amazing. Tuning is accomplished with a Laptop connected via a cable to a port in the tail of the bike.

The difference in DTC tuning alone is amazing. I own a 2013 RR with the HP ECU and RCK2. I can easily leave 2015+ models in the dust if I want to.

Teamed with the HP Datalogger you have all the data you need to make adjustments that will get the bike to do what you want.

Here's a video that covers all the HP options for the RR

On the carbs vs injected bikes. Carbs are a little slower to respond but pretty close to the same situation as the injected bikes.

One thing I have noticed with professional riders. If you watch a video of them especially of their hands they never allow the throttle to snap shut. They roll off. Much like the brakes the throttle is not an on off switch. If it were not for the safety issues of a throttle that retained it's position likely throttles would not have return springs. While the return spring does close the throttle when you want to roll off that's not what it's there for. It's there so that if the rider and the bike part company the bike does not keep going. :)

You can use whatever kind of fuel you like if you have the RCK2. The Race ECU by itself is designed to use standard premium fuel.

Mine runs on standard premium but I will occasionally use T4 in it. Not for speed or anything like that. It's an oxygenated no ethanol fuel that stores well in a sealed metal container in my trailer and saves me a trip to the gas station when I'm running low on fuel. Yes I'm lazy enough to use race fuel just to save a trip to the gas station. :)

I know on the BMW S1000rr, the Slick mode changes throttle response and significantly reduces engine braking, which can help carry more speed into corners and reduce the effect of a jerky roll-off, I like riding in that mode as it definitely helps me roll into corners with more entry speed. It takes some getting used to, though, it feels a lot different. Or, the Race ECU package allows you to get in and set ALL KINDS of parameters on throttle response and engine braking, tuning it exactly how you want it.

I think it would be a nice thing to add on to a sportbike, if it is affordable and can be done - did you check to see if it voids the warranty to re-flash the ECU? What does it cost? Doesn't a Power Commander with dyno tuning address the throttle response for both on roll on and roll off, or is it only for roll-on?

As far as the throttle control rules go... do you remember Throttle Control Rule #2? :)

No, I don't remember TC #2. I do n't see how it would void the warranty as you can put the software back to stock if you wanted to. I am not sure if the PC-V will do roll-off.

There was a one lap shown before a motoGP race recently (maybe France?) where the rider used the bmw rr with lean angle overlay. The lean angle number was all over the place and often didn't seem to match the horizon. Wonder how traction control among other things is done without some sort of magic to compensate for the sensors live rapid scattered firing.

I had the ECU on my 2015 GSX-R1000 reflashed by Don Guhl motors. Don and I spent some time discussing what he could and could not do with my GSX-R1000 and what he recommended. He closed that if I didn’t like it, he would change it for free and if I really didn’t like it he would put back to stock. He also stated he offers that if anyone brings the bike in, he will flash it and they can go ride it with same offer. He said no one has ever asked to go back. He is located in Pennsylvania so on my side of the country.

It made a very noticeable and positive change. It really livened up the bike, smoothed out the power especially down low. All restrictions were removed as well.

Made it feel like a 1000 should!

So my reflashing was a very positive experience.

No, I don't remember TC #2. I do n't see how it would void the warranty as you can put the software back to stock if you wanted to. I am not sure if the PC-V will do roll-off.

The Race ECU and RCK kit allows you to fiddle with practically everything which is why the warranty becomes an issue. Potentially you could damage the engine by messing around with timing of internal operations and understandably the factory might not want to replace an engine someone damaged by discarding the reliable factory tested values and substituting their own creative experiments using the RCK. :)

I'm surprised nobody has offered up TC Rule #2, haul out your copies of Twist of the Wrist II and take a look! Here's a hint, it is in Chapter 6...

The warranty thing. It depends on your relationship with your dealer. An HP race ECU or an RCK being present does not automatically invalidate the warranty on the bike. It does make certain warranty claims more challenging of course but that's where the relationship with the dealer comes in to play. The ECU and RCK only affect the engine so all other warranty areas on the bike are normally not an issue at all. Personally the warranty issues don't bother me at all. I'm pretty confident BMW would do the right thing for me.

Word of caution though. Non BMW HP dealers often don't have correct information about what the warranty actually covers and does not cover and often deny claims because they don't know any better. But then again why would you be having an HP equipped bike serviced at a dealership not qualified to do it? :)

Some other things to consider. The HP Race ECU has a few minor rough edges. For example when my bike was in it's street bodywork I needed to have the rate flash delay changed for my HP LED turn signals. The Race ECU did not have a setting for this at all. On the street you will find it's a bit of a handful and gets a lot hotter than a stock bike does. The DTC system is re-tuned completely for performance rather than rider safety with the assumption that you know what you are doing. It can and will bite you if you don't respect it.

I eventually took my HP ECU equipped bike off the street. It makes a much better track bike anyway. :)