Contact Lenses Flying Off

I've been wearing contact lenses for a decade and never had problems wearing them while riding. Lately though, ever since increasing my pace on track (amateur racing level) I keep losing them. It's become such a problem that I'm considering undergoing lasik surgery. I make sure to close all the helmet intakes, it seems like above a certain speed it's easier for the lenses to fly off.

What's been your experience?

I wear contacts when I ride. Never had a problem even at 180mph+ speeds.

What kind of helmet do you wear? I have an Arai that has a drop down chin air deflector. I also close my eye vents on the Arai because otherwise you would be amazed at how fast your lenses will dry out. You may be dealing with some weird way that your helmet makes your air flow. You should not be getting air around your eyes no matter how fast you ride.

If you are wearing glasses try contacts. You would be amazed at how much better the view is and how much easier it is not dealing with an extra step when it comes around to 3rd call. :)

What lens are you using?

I am only running an intermediate group pace, but have had this issue. The specific type of lens does seem to have an effect on the severity. My Acuvue two week lenses rarely have this issue. However, my Acuvue daily lenses, which are softer and more flexible, will occasionally have this happen (maybe twice in a day). Mine seem to unseat more easily when my eyes are dry. I haven't had it enough of a problem to really look for a solution, but artificial tears before each session might help?

I can tell you part numbers on my bike but I can't tell you the brand of contact lenses that I wear. Try to guess my priorities in life. :) It's one of the name brands that my eye doctor offered when I got my exam. I have never had troubles with any contacts and can wear pretty much anything.

One thing I do is keep a bottle of eye drops with me and if I'm not in a rush I put some in before I go out. In the southeast where I ride we have pretty decent humidity so they don't dry out until the point of falling out. They do however occasionally get dry and distracting.

Some things to consider....

Are you hydrated enough? I'm not a physician but my guess would be when you are low on fluids tears would likely be one of the first things the body cuts back on to conserve resources.

Is your helmet leaking air? All of my helmets all have rubber air seals around the visors and retractable chin wind deflectors. If your helmet has a chin wind deflector you should use it.

Are you taking advantage of your windshield as much as you can? All helmets leak air of course otherwise we would not be able to breathe. If you aren't getting down under the windshield in the faster parts you could be getting a lot more wind than you want. And of course going slower due to increased wind drag. A taller windshield can make life a little easier in this regard.

I'm wearing 1-day CooperVision lenses (had the Acuvue 1-day before). It does seem to happen when my eyes are dryer but I'm not sure. I feel like it's when I'm driving above my comfort zone and thus I keep my eyes wide open longer, with less blinking? Also it's not the high speed in the straights that's causing it but rather leaning and looking upwards towards the apex, as I get some light airflow from the top of the helmet into the eyes.

I will try the 2-weeks lenses and more hydration. I have a Skorpion helmets with all front air intakes closed, but the same thing happened with a Shoei last year.

SofToric 66 lenses here. I've never had the issue of my lenses falling off. I used my glasses on a street ride earlier this year and it drove home why I use contacts on the track (I'd be looking over the glasses all the time due to the tuck).