Best Riding Experience/moment

Cobie Fair

OK, let's see who will post what here. What is for you, your top riding moment (or a very good one). It doesn't have to be spectacular, just something you experienced riding that was memorable, and maybe a reason you keep riding. I have some things in mind, but I'll put up a very minor one:

Haven't done a ton of street riding lately. My street bike was just getting dirty in the garage, I got tired of rebuilding the carbs on it (cleaning them from lack of use).

So a few days ago, I did a career day at my daughter's school--it has K-12, she's a freshman.

I took off from the shop, and within 2 blocks I just burst out chuckling (men don't giggle).

Rode from there to her school, totally cruising, low throttle application, low rpm--and still going from 50-90, effortlessly (the whole freeway was doing 80+, I was even passed by 2 cars).

Arrived at the school with a big grin.

Started thinking about a street bike...

I like the occasional commute to work. I also have good memories of socializing at "The Boulevard". Made a lot of friends there.

My best moment was riding ViR Patriot a few years ago. It was a good day for me and I still compare everything else to that day. I was taking a riding class, Gregg White was my instructor (not THAT GW) and I "got" what he was saying. He turned me and another student loose after 3 sessions to work with the rest of the class. I had full control of myself and my bike and time seemed to stand still. I had mental space to plan ahead what I wanted to try next when I came around to Corner X. I was able to check that I was relaxed on the bike by flapping my elbows like a bird; yep still relaxed. I was conscious of my relaxed breathing; for the first time, I didn't feel hypoxic. I could then play with how aggressive I can get on the throttle coming out of my chosen corner, lap after lap until I had it WOT at the apex; then I started playing with how far before the apex I could start my roll-on. Yep....that's the day I felt what it was like to hear the sweet scrape of a knee puck.

I went home a complete rider that day.

I have several moments that have stuck to mind that differ quite a bit.

The ride home after picking up my brand new CB100 back in 1980. The sound, the look, the pride.

Sliding the rear wheel of my CB1100F all the way around a loooong 100 mph sweeper.

Riding a gnarly, hairpin-infested unfamiliar backroad on my VT500FT, raised for much more cornering clearance, and still touching down stands/exhaust in every corner.

Touring on a beautiful day, no wind and not a cloud in sight, standing on the pegs, arms punching the sky, screaming from the top of my lungs inside my helmet from pure excitement of being alive, riding the XS500.

Passing cars virtually every morning on snow and slick ice on my Z400G, riding on the normal tyres.

Cruising on my VN800A and for the first time really enjoying the straights and seeing how nice the landscape was instead of thinking about when a corner would pop up.

Trundling along on my VS1400, finding the road blocked by a huge tractor and being able to stop in time, knowing it would have been an accident with a sportier bike.

When finally cracking the code of riding the way I've been told through this forum and by reading TOTT2 on my Z650B, and again being able to ride relaxed and intuitively.

Yet the best moment of all came at the start of the 2015-season, when I finally lost all my urge to push and take risks on the road. Luckily, this coincided with a year when we experienced a huge amount of near-misses; roads blocked by vehicles, oncoming cars using our side of the road, cars not stopping for us at intersections - you name it, we got it. Due to the reduced speeds, we had no issues. But had this been some years earlier it would have ended with fatality at least 5 times and in hospital a dozen more times.

Looking forward to many more safe and fun riding seasons.

I like the occasional commute to work. I also have good memories of socializing at "The Boulevard". Made a lot of friends there.

My best moment was riding ViR Patriot a few years ago. It was a good day for me and I still compare everything else to that day. I was taking a riding class, Gregg White was my instructor (not THAT GW) and I "got" what he was saying. He turned me and another student loose after 3 sessions to work with the rest of the class. I had full control of myself and my bike and time seemed to stand still. I had mental space to plan ahead what I wanted to try next when I came around to Corner X. I was able to check that I was relaxed on the bike by flapping my elbows like a bird; yep still relaxed. I was conscious of my relaxed breathing; for the first time, I didn't feel hypoxic. I could then play with how aggressive I can get on the throttle coming out of my chosen corner, lap after lap until I had it WOT at the apex; then I started playing with how far before the apex I could start my roll-on. Yep....that's the day I felt what it was like to hear the sweet scrape of a knee puck.

I went home a complete rider that day.

It is very easy to understand that must have been a fantastic experience - good for you B)

Eirik, very nice list!

OK, I'll add one that comes to mind. Once on a slippery turn at the track, I turned it in, and I was reaching a little with my right leg (it was a bit stiffer than I'd like to normally be). Then the front end just went, tucked. I had enough mental "time" to think to myself, "Ah _____, I've just crashed." I didn't do anything, but keep the knee a little stiff. I didn't roll on or off, didn't do anything with the bars. And the front came back! I think I must have been laughing and yelling at the same time.

• Like 1

Yes he did. How about that one with Max Biaggi (I don't like him on based on what he did to Rossi in that one race) but his recovery from that wheelie...wow! You guys know which one I mean, or should we find that link?

Yes he did. How about that one with Max Biaggi (I don't like him on based on what he did to Rossi in that one race) but his recovery from that wheelie...wow! You guys know which one I mean, or should we find that link?

You know that Rossi gave as good as he get. He passed it on to Gibernau, Stoner and Marquez. IIRC race direction penalized him for the one with Marquez while all others were deemed competitive racing.

Did you see the one where Biaggi rode him off the track--just stuck his elbow out and then lifted the bike and pushed him right off.

Rossi caught and passed him, and gave him the one finger salute. Classic.

Did you see the one where Biaggi rode him off the track--just stuck his elbow out and then lifted the bike and pushed him right off.

Rossi caught and passed him, and gave him the one finger salute. Classic.

Everybody saw that one! As they say (in NASCAR I think) "rubbin' is racin'".

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a few:

First time turning a wheel on a race track with WMRRA "taste of racing".  I just KNEW I had to race after that.

First time coaching with CSS, I thought "I can't believe I got my dream job!"

First AMA race sitting on the grid after making qualifying- the most exhilarating feeling ever.

Recently riding through the Alps and seeing some of the most spectacular scenery in the world.

The first few corners at Sachsenring circuit in Germany.

Riding with a group of CSS coaches and students at a dirt bike school in the mud and bashing bars and laughing out loud with mud in my eye.  

AND, the first time I was able to ride with my 6 year old son on track and give him a few pointers and lead him around.  So proud :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Misti said:

I have a few:

First time turning a wheel on a race track with WMRRA "taste of racing".  I just KNEW I had to race after that.

First time coaching with CSS, I thought "I can't believe I got my dream job!"

First AMA race sitting on the grid after making qualifying- the most exhilarating feeling ever.

Recently riding through the Alps and seeing some of the most spectacular scenery in the world.

The first few corners at Sachsenring circuit in Germany.

Riding with a group of CSS coaches and students at a dirt bike school in the mud and bashing bars and laughing out loud with mud in my eye.  

AND, the first time I was able to ride with my 6 year old son on track and give him a few pointers and lead him around.  So proud :)

I want to be you when I grow up!

(minus the required sex change -LoL)

• Like 1

On 1/16/2017 at 4:06 PM, Cobie Fair said:

Eirik, very nice list!

OK, I'll add one that comes to mind. Once on a slippery turn at the track, I turned it in, and I was reaching a little with my right leg (it was a bit stiffer than I'd like to normally be). Then the front end just went, tucked. I had enough mental "time" to think to myself, "Ah _____, I've just crashed." I didn't do anything, but keep the knee a little stiff. I didn't roll on or off, didn't do anything with the bars. And the front came back! I think I must have been laughing and yelling at the same time.

Anything close to this?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty dang good list from Misti, hard to top.

My kids don't ride!

Kids in the city these days, things are changing.  I did a career day, took one of the School S1000rr's and went to my daughter's school, rode the bike right up to the classroom, and rode it down the (exterior) hallway when I left, daughter on back.

The point is, aside from entertaining myself at her school, when I asked how many rode bicycles, the majority said no...wow, blew me away.

CF

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Riding moments and motorcycle moments?  I'll have to save the motorcycle moments for a different thread (maybe a comedy thread):

Recent to past...

- watching my brides eyes sparkle when she said "I did it!".  This was after she followed me on a blocked off street for endless laps practicing her throttle control on her first ever motorcycle until she could turn around without brakes...3 hours after riding her first motorcycle in her life at age 40+.  Don't tell I said this.

- coming around a corner in Couser Canyon and realizing pivot steering, weight on the outside peg, absolutely settled my bike.  This was contrary to how I had raced mountain bikes.  Very a-ha.

- flying around the bowl at streets (flying is relative of course) and Spidy appears next to me with a thumbs up.  I finally released the death-grip on my bars without having to be told to with chicken arms flapping.   It was my "I did it" moment.  Maybe low on the excitement list, but memorable when I realize what this allowed downstream.   

- the first time I tried emergency braking with my new S1000RR.  Quite a pucker factor, followed closely by an OMG!

- the first time I accelerated with a new rear tire on my GSXR, slid, mild highside, and then remembered the mechanics advice about how slippery new tires are.  You don't have to tell me that one anymore.

- the first time I went off a 3" wood block ramp on my Honda 50 and knew I never wanted to do that again...then I cried, and my Brother laughed.

Too much?