How Agressive Can The Throttle Be Rolled On?

Jaybird180

2 hours ago, Jaybird180 said:

So if Throttle Control Rule #1 were to be updated for the modern era, would it say that 'it should be rolled on to the limits of rear traction as moderated by TC'?

You'd have to add the caveat "...but only if you think your throttle control is smarter than you."  :)

Personally I still like to have the control to choose my own acceleration (riding at the limit of traction is not always the ideal scene) and besides, you still need to know how to ride if your electronics fail, right? Or if your buddy offers you a chance to ride on a cool vintage bike, or a kick-ass 2 stroke GP bike.

Here's a question: what sort of conditions could a novice rider CREATE that would prevent a traction-control enabled bike from performing well?

It does pose an interesting question about electronics, doesn't it?  And modern electronics can be very, very good.

One plus is is can give the rider an idea of what the bike wants.

And it can always be turned off.  I've had a number of coaches do just that.  In fact, we have some good racers coming to our race school this next week, I'm going to see where he puts the settings.

1 hour ago, Cobie Fair said:

It does pose an interesting question about electronics, doesn't it?  And modern electronics can be very, very good.

One plus is is can give the rider an idea of what the bike wants.

And it can always be turned off.  I've had a number of coaches do just that.  In fact, we have some good racers coming to our race school this next week, I'm going to see where he puts the settings.

There are videos on YouTube of Mat Mladin talking about Yoshimura Suzuki (cheating) installing TC before it was race legal; they never got busted.  When it became legal they understood that having more TC isn't always a good thing, yet the rest of the field didn't and Mat talked about his need to finish the corner with power.  I think Keith calls this "steer(ing) for (with) the rear".

• 1 month later...