Video & Data

What would be the easiest way to capture video and overlay with data (looking for speed, throttle, and brakes). Looking for advice on specific camera, data logger, and if needed software for the overlay. The BMW data logger provides a lot of info - likely more than I am looking for right now.

Basically am looking to achieve the video you get from the camera bike at Superbike School - minus the whole camera boom frame that holds the camera.

There are a couple of software packages out there that can overlay video and data. I've used Dashware to do this (it's free). Unfortunately, development has stopped, as the team has been aquired by GoPro.

There is also a new device called Push that is really worth a look:

https://www.pushthelimit.net/

It's easy to mount, relatively inexpensive and pushes data right to your phone, very quickly. It also generates drone views of your ride which are the best thing I've seen for showing friends, especially non-riders, it's entertaining to watch the drone views and you get useful info, too. The Push device gets lean angle, speed, acceleration/deceleration and line, can compare to a pro rider on the same track, and probably does more things that I don't even know about. It cannot pull the vast amount of data you could get from the BMW data logger - which tracks practically everything except the rider's heart rate (and that's probably next!) - but for the cost, ease of use and fun factor it's worth checking out. You don't have to add any sensors on the bike, just mount the Push device.

Push looks interesting. There is a similar product called SpeedAngle. All these systems were released in the last 2 years, maybe a sign that the track days business is growing.

Data download and displaying is fast and can be done in the garage after each session, but video synchronization from an action camera still takes a long time (I know AIM has a proprietary integrated camera solution that might be faster to use but it's more expensive).