Women In Wsbk Racing

Jaybird180

I'll definitely be watching this year as I've long held some theories that women may have some physical advantages in motorbike racing.

http://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/2017/Carrasco+and+Biddle+lead+the+way+for+women+in+WorldSBK

The most recent thing I heard was that she was having trouble raising the funding to race in 2016. It's tough to make a living as a racer.

Melissa Paris is another one to watch, not sure what she has lined up for 2017.

I'd really hoped that she's show out more in the American National series.

I'd thought Elena had retired...might be in an old RW news piece...never tried to search that, wonder if one can.

The article is easy to find, here is a link:

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/elena-myers-unable-to-secure-funding-to-go-racing-in-2016/

She doesn't say she is retiring but does say she needs to find a way to make a living. :)

Here is a quote from the article:

“I’m going to try to pursue a career in the industry, but it’s certainly not the end of my racing career. It’s just, I guess a little break to pay bills.” .

I think it was the next article that lead me to believe she had basically retired...doesn't say that specifically:

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/elena-myers-accepts-sales-position-with-mcgraw-powersports/

It is not like in the distant past, the industry really has changed for aspiring young racers...not so easy.

The sentiment I've gathered from multiple sources is that the money isn't flowing like it was prior to 2007/8 in the motorcycle industry.

FWIW- Cobie, you can give her a ring and see if she wants a job. If it works out I'll accept a 0.05% finders fee :-)

The sentiment I've gathered from multiple sources is that the money isn't flowing like it was prior to 2007/8 in the motorcycle industry.

FWIW- Cobie, you can give her a ring and see if she wants a job. If it works out I'll accept a 0.05% finders fee :-)

Giving her a RING seems like a drastic step, don't you think? :D

Giving her a RING seems like a drastic step, don't you think? :D

Ha ha ha ha....you're right! Not sure if she'd want to work UNDER Cobie. And besides, I think Mrs. Fair might take exception to that.

• 2 weeks later...

My whole mission is to well, of course race. But I'm building a support team for up and coming riders/racer (female). Unless, of course if you want, anyone male can help support with any advice, gear, hotel and paddock sharing etc. My RV is open on track and race days. Website almost running. Trying to focus on finishing my racebike. AFM is right around the corner.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

What about Maria Herrera and her bid to set a mark in MotoGP?  I always find myself watching the race to see her result.  Last year she had a position for points and then crashed on the last, or second to last lap.  That has to be a huge bummer. aghh.

OOps; just checked the MotoGP website and I see she had 7 points in 2016, and 9 in 2015, and she already has a point earned for placing 15th in Argentina.  Humpf.  Guess she is doing better than I thought.  Of course all the racers are like alien riders when compared to all us non-elbow-draggers.

4 hours ago, Jaybird180 said:

Wow! I didn't know that there was a woman in MotoGP. Is this the big class?

No. Maria Herrera is competing in the Moto3 class (the smallest). In 2015, Ana Carrasco competed in Moto3 as well.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:12 AM, Jaybird180 said:

Speaking of which....whatever happened to Eleana Myers? I'd imagine she would be a contender by now.

Sadly, According to this article - this is what happened to Elena Myers

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2017/02/17/elena-myers-loews-hotel-sexual-assault/

Regardless of some of the questions I have about that article, I hope that she gets the counseling that she needs and moves forward in her life, whatever she decides that may be.

• 1 year later...

Seems like I’m breaking the news on the CSS Forum

Ana Carasco is the World’s first Roadracing World Champion. 2018 Supersport 300

http://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/2018/Ride+like+a+girl+Carrasco+makes+history+to+become+WorldSSP300+Champion

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2017 at 7:07 PM, Jaybird180 said:

I'll definitely be watching this year as I've long held some theories that women may have some physical advantages in motorbike racing.

http://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/2017/Carrasco+and+Biddle+lead+the+way+for+women+in+WorldSBK

My entire mission is to well, obviously race. Be that as it may, I'm fabricating a help group for best in class riders/racer (female). Except if, obviously on the off chance that you need, anybody male can assist bolster with any counsel, rigging, lodging and enclosure sharing and so forth. My RV is open on track and race days. Site relatively running. Endeavoring to center around completing my racebike. AFM is ideal around the bend.

• 4 months later...

The only reason there are no female racers in the MotoGP class is that too few enter at the bottom as youth racers. It probably takes between 3,000 and 5,000 youth racers to eventually end up with one who is capable of racing at the highest level. This includes having the family with the means and support and Olympic-level dedication to the child to make it past all the barriers to succeed.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 2/18/2019 at 11:17 PM, Dylan Code said:

The only reason there are no female racers in the MotoGP class is that too few enter at the bottom as youth racers. It probably takes between 3,000 and 5,000 youth racers to eventually end up with one who is capable of racing at the highest level. This includes having the family with the means and support and Olympic-level dedication to the child to make it past all the barriers to succeed.

Not that I had hopes, but my daughter decided that she wanted to put her attention on something other than racing this year. As a result and a cumulative effect, my son didn’t race much this year either and it looks like some of his peers have advanced beyond where they were last year.

On 2/2/2017 at 6:07 AM, Jaybird180 said:

Hey JB,

So what do you think some of the advantages are?  

Based on my observations in Billiards, women have more accuracy in hand-eye coordination and planning of angles. Also women have an advantage with Wide-View. Furthermore, I believe that CoG and weight distribution may help contribute to better cornering clearance when hanging off.

What do you think @Hotfoot?