Your Fave Riding Sox And Why.....go!

There are lots of new yarns out there and tons of sock for riding. What are you favorites and why?

Yarn content?

Fit?

Thick or thin?

Venting in certain areas?

Padding in certain areas?

........................GO!!!!!!!

My AlpineStar roadrace boots are very comfortable. Therefore regular thin regular everyday cotton socks are fine for me most days, and thicker wool blend socks in cold weather for warmth.

Dirt bike boots are a different story - my heavy Fox boots require tall socks that are thick and cushioned all over. My lighter weight boots (I bought a pair of boys youth boots - they are Sidis and really nice, much lighter weight than my old Fox boots) fit more comfortably so for those I wear CoolMax socks that are tall enough to cover the scratchy Velcro on my knee pads.

On really cold days I like to put those chemical warmer packs in the soles of my boots, up near my toes, keeps my feet toasty warm all day. :)

• 2 weeks later...

There are lots of new yarns out there and tons of sock for riding. What are you favorites and why?

Yarn content?

Fit?

Thick or thin?

Venting in certain areas?

Padding in certain areas?

........................GO!!!!!!!

With my 1-piece leathers and longer hotter rides Moto-D socks. Shorter rides (with jacket boots and jeans) I just use high top athletic.

The Moto-D work very well for sweat. Athletic typically are soaked (yuck) after a longer ride in hotter weather.

My husband swears by the Moto-Ds. He had a day where he came to CSS and forgot to bring boot socks so he bought some Moto-Ds from the school. He really liked them and has since bought 2 more pairs and that is all he uses with riding boots now.

I was skeptical as they are thin and similar material to undersuit but they really keep feet comfortable and dry.

• 3 weeks later...

I just discovered "tencel" yarn. I usually wear bamboo socks and they do a great job of keeping my feet cool and they are also naturally antibacterial. This tencel yarn (made of Eucalyptus bark) is just as good if not better. Wool/bamboo socks exist too, I have yet to try them out. I'm not much of a big fan of polyester yarns on my feet. 

Ha ok.

Well the socks I'm currently wearing are samples from a manufacturer that were sent to me for testing. I have been a huge fan of bamboo and my favorite socks are no longer available. So out of sheer "being totally desparate" I'm testing out as many yarns as I can as I'd like to make my own socks specifically for riding.

So far I'm on day 3 of wearing them and they still smell like roses. They are unbelievably soft as well, pretty much like walking on clouds. I'm going to wash them a number of times to see how they wear, but I've been told they stay soft just like my bamboo socks did. Another bonus, they are supposed to be extremely durable.

I can show you the fabric end of this month when I'm at CSS but they will be well worn by then so beware hahah. 

I looked up "tencel socks" and there are a few companies that use the yarns so I think in the mean time I'll find a good company and buy my daily wearers from them. I truly don't think I can go back to pure cotton, poly, or nylon. Especially cotton. 

• Like 1

Sounds good. Would love your intel and anyone else's for that matter. If anyone wants to see a certain feature I'm all ears. 

Aliki-

Once you get them perfected you should offer your socks to Military Ground forces.  It's a huge morale booster having good, clean socks AND if they contribute to health, that keeps that ground-pounder out in the field, increasing unit effectiveness.  Initial training is where a lot of foot injuries are seen, so if your product can help reduce that you'll make several Billion, many times over.

Now, go make some money and thank me later.

Or, call me if you need a lead.

I'm a 20 year Veteran so I know exactly what you mean! Great point. I never wore the socks issued to me. I wish I knew about bamboo then!

I cannot count the amount of blisters and nerve damage from deep blisters I've had. My feet were so tiny for the boots. Apparently army doesn't make tiny feet size boots hahah. 

Also, I work at a charity called Vet2track.org and am making them their own branded socks (if we can get someone to donate funds). Selling THOSE socks to troops for charity did not occur to me so thank you for the reminder. My mind is moto-focused 

The name of the charity is self explanatory and the man behind the charity is a stand up guy!

15 hours ago, Aliki said:

It doesn't does it. It's actually so frigging soft. 

Yeah, especially from a marketing standpoint.  Would be like advertising burlap underwear... :-)

21 hours ago, Aliki said:

It doesn't does it. It's actually so frigging soft. 

I have some bamboo running socks. Really nice & comfy

6 hours ago, DLHamblin said:

Yeah, especially from a marketing standpoint.  Would be like advertising burlap underwear... :-)

What's wrong with burlap underwear?! Hahah :P

23 hours ago, Aliki said:

What's wrong with burlap underwear?! Hahah :P

True, might make you faster so you can hurry up and get them off!!!

• Like 1