Body Protection Recommendation

My AGVSport 1-PC is long in the tooth, but still functional. I'd thought about upgrading the padding to something offering better impact protection. I'd also thought about getting one of the airbag vests that fit over the suit. My hard-shell back protector (I think it's a Taichi) I bought when I got the leathers; probably also due for replacement.

I'm thinking about ergonomics with my steering. I found that when I slide back on the seat and even lay my chest on the tank, steering is much more effective, except I can't do it long term, because of where it presses into my thorax. So my potential solution would be a chest protector.

Looking into this, I'm finding a few manufacturers are offering under armored suits that protect chest (thorax), back, kidneys, neck and shoulders (and elbows in some cases). This is good. This is very good as many of them are touting CE ratings on the armor.

In theory, I should be able to remove the padding in my leathers, wear one of these vests and basically up the ante on my injury resistance AND improve my steering to boot!

Can anyone recommend something that I should take a look at? I'm just now finding out that this stuff even exists! I've seen street riders wearing armor and I thought it was foolhardy (no abrasion protection) but underneath a set of leathers, it makes sense. I'm also wondering if it would make an airbag superfluous.

FWIW I bought one of those mesh armored undershirts for my son to wear for dirt riding. He finds it very comfortable and a whole lot less work to put on compared to various regular pads, and it includes shoulder, chest, back and elbow protection. It breathes well and most of the pads are removable so the thing can be washed in a machine.

• 3 weeks later...

I too have a forcefield back protector, but have little to no protection in the chest. I see the MotoGP guys slipping in some kind of one-piece loose chest protector inot their leathers before zipping up. Any ideas who makes such a product? The forcefield shirt seems a little overkill and bulky when my leathers already have elbow and shoulder protection.

2 hours ago, Raider said:

I too have a forcefield back protector, but have little to no protection in the chest. I see the MotoGP guys slipping in some kind of one-piece loose chest protector inot their leathers before zipping up. Any ideas who makes such a product? The forcefield shirt seems a little overkill and bulky when my leathers already have elbow and shoulder protection.

Alpinestars, Spidi, and Dainese make them, maybe other manufacturers as well. Revzill is a good site for stuff like that and they often have helpful reviews too.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-chest-protectors

On 2/24/2017 at 2:37 PM, Cobie Fair said:

One of my friends wore one under his MX jersey on a dirt ride too...could be the way to go.

+1 on the vest style body armor for Off-Roading,  I prefer it over individual pads as the mesh vest doesn't cut circulation to your hands nearly as much,  although it does keep a lot of extra body heat in,  bonus when its cold  not so much in the summer.   There is also a very direct correlation to the amount of protection / body armor you have on and your acceptable risk level,  in my full dirtbike kit I am WAY more aggressive than when I have just a helmet and tee shirt on.  

Mine is the Fox Racing Titan Sport Jacket, though several brands offer them and I imagine the protection level is all comparable 

Not really ideal for use under modern name brand leathers that have all the padding built in already, perhaps if you had a lower end or custom leathers without built in elbow and shoulder padding, although unless they were already a little oversized the fit would be SUPER tight with that vest on

Also +1 on Revzilla for gear, they sell just about everything so its easy to compare and browse,  good reviews and lots of useful questions about the products as well