New Schuberth lid

We've gotten some of the shipment, and one thing that I noticed immediately was how amazingly light the new helmet is.  I've not pulled out a scale yet, but just picking the thing up...wow.

Not ridden with it, so next point I want to find out is how it compares with the SR1 for ventilation.  I'd never used something that flowed so much air across the top of my head.  I remember opening the vents, riding the first time and feeling my hair move!  Astonishing.  

I've not ridden with a bunch of the other top brands, but was impressed with that, and have high hopes for the SR2.

Not sure how many of these are out yet, anyone else get their hands on one?

If we get you out, you can certainly try ours.  They for sure did take some break in period.  The rep had to talk me into a lid I thought was too tight, but he was right in the end, took me a day or so to get used to it.

CF

• 5 months later...

Hi Cobie,

I am using an SR1 that I bought through CSS a few years ago. I like it a lot, but to me, it has one major drawback. Without a few extra pieces of foam at the top of the helmet (inside), I find the "vision" area to be too low. When I am riding at full lean angle and trying to look at my next reference point, the top for the vision area gets in the way. It is too low. Not sure what I say is clear... This is something that, I believe, has always been a problem with the SR1 for track riding, as the coaches at CSS already suggested us during a 2-day camp to use a piece of foam inside. Did they correct that in the SR2 ? I am on the market for a replacement of my SR1, and for me, that would be a reason not to get the SR2, despite all the advantages that the SR1, and SR2 I guess, have. I tried an AGV Pista and regarding the field of view, it is really superior to the SR1. I would have gotten one if it was not ridiculously expensive.

So what is your experience and that of your students regarding the vision area with the SR2 ? Do you still suggest students to use a piece of foam ?

Thank you !

Unfortunately, I'm also in the market for a replacement lid. It seems the RPHA11 is too big and accounts for the vision blur I was getting that sometimes happens at high speed, typically on straightaways. I might go back to a Scorpion.

12 hours ago, DamienC said:

Hi Cobie,

I am using an SR1 that I bought through CSS a few years ago. I like it a lot, but to me, it has one major drawback. Without a few extra pieces of foam at the top of the helmet (inside), I find the "vision" area to be too low. When I am riding at full lean angle and trying to look at my next reference point, the top for the vision area gets in the way. It is too low.

Did they correct that in the SR2 ?

YES!! The SR2 is MUCH better in that regard, for certain head shapes. Mine, for example. :) I have a small head and had the same issue with the SR1 sitting too low on my head but I rode 2 days last week in the new SR2 model and I could see out of it just fine. Really well, actually, because the field of view is very wide. The ventilation was good, too. The Schuberth folks told me a while ago that they thought the SR2 would fit me better and it definitely does, it's definitely worth a try. You probably know from your SR1 that these helmets break in as you wear them, so it is best to get one that feels a bit tight when brand new.

On 3/8/2017 at 9:28 PM, Cobie Fair said:

If we get you out, you can certainly try ours.  They for sure did take some break in period.  The rep had to talk me into a lid I thought was too tight, but he was right in the end, took me a day or so to get used to it.

CF

I wish that I'd taken advantage of this. CSS already "sold" me on the Alpinestars SuperTechR boots. I was trying to save my pockets...didn't work - LoL

• 2 weeks later...

I call BS on that link. Schuberth has been in the head protection business for 70 years. Practically, there is no effective way to test a helmet for all types of impacts. What's good for a light impact is bad for a heavy one and vice versa. Anyone's testing system is going to be seriously flawed regardless of how you do it. Current SNELL and DOT regulations are also criticized heavily on their outdated testing criteria. The same could be said for ECE or this UK government site.

Schuberth makes helmets for bomb defusal, cars, motorcycles, police, firemen, etc. and has been doing so for decades.

Here's some serious criticism on their methods:

A LEADING safety engineer from Birmingham University* has spoken out against the SHARP helmet rating scheme, believing the system should be scrapped following the results of a recent scientific study.

Dr Nigel Mills, who has worked on helmet testing and design for 30 years, believes the European helmet testing system is flawed. During an intensive six-month study, Dr Mills found areas of concern, which has prompted the scientist to ask for SHARP ratings to be scrapped.

Dr Mills has pointed out three major factors within SHARP that are of serious concern. Speaking exclusively to Visordown earlier today, Dr Mills said:

"First, the impact velocities in oblique impact tests must be realistic; gentle impacts used to determine helmet friction coefficients differ from more severe impacts in which the helmet starts to roll on the road.

"Second, the test headform must simulate the human scalp and hair which allow significant helmet rotation. A test headform without scalp or hair responds differently and may overemphasise the friction of the helmet shell. The rotational acceleration of the test headform must be measured.

"Third, the pass/fail criterion must be set. Only ballpark figures for human tolerance to rotational acceleration are known. You might imagine that independent researchers had agreed on the details, and the industry was convinced of the benefits of these radical new tests. However the SHARP scheme was developed by the government Transport Research Lab for the DfT without public debate."

Dr. Mills criticises the oblique impacts in the SHARP scheme, as they don’t measure rotational head acceleration. Presumably to save money, they use a mechanics model, a friction coefficient and a direct impact test result to estimate the oblique impact performance.

Mills’ study shows the model is too simple, so the estimated performance parameter (a linear head acceleration multiplied by a function of the friction coefficient) is meaningless. They weight test results from different sites in a complex way to estimate how many lives would be saved by a particular helmet design. This overemphasises test ‘results’ at the sides of the helmet, and totally ignores impacts on the chin bar region. Hence he concludes that the estimates are meaningless.

Dr Mills feels that the British and European helmet standards could be amended to include tests for oblique impact protection, based on scientific consensus, with the design consequences considered.

The fit for me is better than the SR1.  It sits higher on the head, works better for performance (down low on the bike) riding.  And it's fantastically light, with a lot of air flow inside.  As with previous model, it took a break-in period...it was almost too tight to start, but has broken in nicely.

On 8/10/2017 at 2:19 PM, Jaybird180 said:

Unfortunately, I'm also in the market for a replacement lid. It seems the RPHA11 is too big and accounts for the vision blur I was getting that sometimes happens at high speed, typically on straightaways. I might go back to a Scorpion.

Cobie- I nearly have my helmet fit issues (noted in quote) resolved and I'll be happy to share with you because I know that you've been a strong advocate of helmet foam at the top. I might have a solution that works a little better, but I'm working on refinement before I say. I've at least gotten the vibration to a lower intensity and happens at a higher speed (about 139MPH+) and I thought I had it resolved...until my cheek pads broke in more.

• 5 weeks later...

I found some helmet pads on Amazon puportedly made for military helmets in a kit for a few dollars and have not had chance to ride a few times with it. They're of high density and 3/4" thick. Comes with a top pad secured by adhesive tabs with Velcro on the other side as well as several smaller square and rectangular pads for customization. Its lifted my helmet and snugged it up quite well with my flat crown. I put mine between the liner and EPS.