Cobie Fair

Hand Position

7 posts in this topic

This foot position thread got me thinking about hand position.  For a long time didn't seem to be a big issue, but as we've delved into it, there more pieces to that puzzle too.  Often we see the front brake lever in a position that is not easy to reach, either too high, or too low.  Then we hear about riders not being able to roll the throttle all the way (one guy told me in the middle of a roll on he had to re-grip!).

So to start out, I'd like to ask a few survey questions:

1.  How many pay any attention to your had position, or is this a virtual non-issue?

2.  How many have had any issues with control actions of their hands: hard to reach brake, use throttle effectively/easily (or even clutch).

Let's start with that, see what we get.

CF

There's are a few videos on YouTube about changing hand control position to better suit the rider. By all indications, riders are largely reluctant to make ergonomic adjustments to their bikes, believing the factory knows best.

I will be able to finish this thought later, as I'm in my driveway home now, typing on my iPhone.

Fascinating...I think we adjust a lot of levers.

It's the first thing I notice*, the throw of the throttle, and then the angle of the levers. So changing and adjusting the components are vital to my comfort, especially grips. I find that soft thin grip, like the pale grey renthals are the best.

*seat and pegs too, I recovered every seat on every bike I ever had

What were you going for when re-covering the seat? More grip, or less? Or were you reshaping them? 

Both reshaping to a flatter, more horizontal shape, and more grip. Both helps me stay in place and be less likely to put unwanted weight on the bars. I used suede on my seats on top of closed cell foam, which was sanded to shape.

1 person likes this

I think about my hand positions a lot. On my track bike, the position of the brake lever vs clutch lever are very different. I don' t know what's good what's bad, but I played a lot with that to find what works for me. Then when leaning to the right, I actually do think a lot about moving my hand so that it is in continuity with the throttle for better control. Also I changed the throttle so have less angle when WOT. Like this, I don't need to turn my hand so much and I feel I have more control.