Goin to Cota

I've been to 2 MotoGPs, one after son was born and one before. I've been to 2 or 3 WSBKs but the difference is night and day. MotoGP brings a show. I can't imagine how nice it's going to be at a world class venue like COTA. Laguna was close and easy but certainly not world class. Part of why they no longer come here.

That said, Ducati Island is awesome. Also the music, the vendor stands, watching a dude have his gf take a pic of him with his arms around 2 grid girls, the Yamaha guys giving little kids (including my 3yo) rides on 50cc bikes doing wheelies and stuff, and kart racing on an infield area.

Since I've only seen MotoGP and WSBK on TV in what way is "the show" of MotoGP better?

Maybe I've got it backwards, but I like being able to see all the action on track from my couch.  Maybe I need better seating???

No I mean the whole package. The off track, between races kind of thing. It's a much bigger event. Much more grandiose.

I agree with you about getting a better view on the TV tho. In fact, when it was local, I'd go to the track for Saturday when it wasn't crowded and then watch the Sunday action from home. Made getting out of town easier too.

Have you noticed how concerts are less and less fun the older you get? I think in-person races are the same.

My kid can't sit in front of a race on TV for 5 minutes but he had such a good time at the race 3 or 4 years ago that he's never stopped asking to go back. I really hope we get to do a VIP experience one day. Comfort, good food and drink, and access to the racers.

To get the best experience of the racing (throughout the field), watch it on the screen.

But going to the track gives you an entirely different experience - the 'ambience' thing.

And finally ... there's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing!

• Like 1

I am working COTA MotoGP/MotoAmerica this year in flagging/communications.  Arrive on Wednesday night and full schedule Thurs-Sun but lot's of fun.  Then I have most of the east coast MotoAmerica races set.

Being on track (well off to side of track) is definitely best seat in house.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jaybird180 said:

I was a bit confused when I saw my DVR schedule but DLHamblin's post cleared up something for me.  MotoAmerica is running the same weekend as MotoGP at COTA!!!

Yes, same thing in July when they (MotoAmerica) run with World Superbike a Laguna.  Makes for long track days, but again its a lot of racing and a lot of fun.  Regular MotoAmerica events are not nearly as hectic and cramped.