Maverick's riding style disected

khp

What is really noticeable on many pics is that when leaning, his outer knee is right up in the air...not locking is body...So I guess he has enough strength on his inner leg to still lock his position although his knee is not touching the tank. Wondering what the CSS coaches think about his body position when leaned.

From Lance Armstrong's instagram:

Check this out - was speaking to Cal the other day and he told me that he once wore a heart rate monitor in one his races. His HR averaged 192 for 45 mins! These dudes are true athletes. Not to mention doing 200 mph + on back straights..

192bpm average over 45min??? OMFG. Definitely lots of core strength and stamina like no other.

If Lance had missed a dash so should have been read as "192bpm average over 4-5min" I would still be floored in awe.

1 hour ago, khp said:

If Lance had missed a dash so should have been read as "192bpm average over 4-5min" I would still be floored in awe.

Yes exactly. Motorcycle racing is not a sprint sport. It requires constant focus over a full 40 minutes race. In facts you want to avoid excessive fatigue, a lot of work goes into that.

It's my understanding that a high heart rate isn't a good sign for anyone especially an athlete. It is good that he can sustain it, but as you get in better shape the circulatory efficiency goes up and the heart doesn't have to work as hard.

Thats what made this confusing for me.

The cause of the high bpm rate is that they are scared silly. Senna had a similar high bpm during races. F1 drivers, and probably riders as well, only breathe on the straights, never under braking and cornering. The brain constantly scream "you are going to die if you continue like this", hence the high bpm simply out of pure fear. They are that close to the limit.

Mika Hakkinen once said that when he braked for the chicane at Monza at the 130 metre mark, going from 353 to 80 kph in that short distance, he had to fight his survival instincts every single lap all weekend. Because the brain refused to accept that it was possible, even after doing it repeatedly. Senna said that every time he got back in his F1 car after the winter break, he got petrified because everything happened so quickly that no matter how hard he had driven his Ferrari on the streets, he was in no way prepared for the shock of the speed of the F1 car.

I also remember they said Rossi was special because his bpm stayed around 150 whereas the rest sat in the 180-190 range. Not because he was in a better shape, but because he had more in reserve. Hence he had more brain power and awareness to cope with the unexpected. Whether or not that's still the case, I cannot tell - this was commented on cirka 2003.

BTW, a high bpm rate doesn't mean you are out of shape - max bpm is genetics more than anything. But even you could sit at max bpm for an hour of you were convinced you were going to get killed if your concentration lapsed for just a fraction of a second and you were already basically operating beyond your abilities. 

Interesting piece of prose. I remember that part about Rossi's heart rate but not the actual numbers as quoted on the DocuMovie, Faster.

I think however the OP is referring to bicycles which doesn't line up with the fear of death, unless Cal has trained himself to fear all single tracked vehicles-LoL.

Ah, my mistake - I thought this was about motorcycles :D

Even at my age (53) and not too great a shape, I can do 45-60 min at 178 bpm on a stepping machine. Max bpm for me is 190. I cannot reach the heart rate on a bicycle because my legs gets full of lactic acid well before my heart rate gets up there.

Again, though, max heart rate can vary a lot between individuals and doesn't really say anything about the shape you are in.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_rate

Maximum heart rate[edit]

The maximum heart rate (HRmax) is the highest heart rate an individual can achieve without severe problems through exercise stress,[16][17] and generally decreases with age. Since HRmax varies by individual, the most accurate way of measuring any single person's HRmax is via a cardiac stress test. In this test, a person is subjected to controlled physiologic stress (generally by treadmill) while being monitored by an ECG. The intensity of exercise is periodically increased until certain changes in heart function are detected on the ECG monitor, at which point the subject is directed to stop. Typical duration of the test ranges ten to twenty minutes.

7 minutes ago, JohnCBoukis said:

Crutchlow recently indicated that he is physically struggling with the RC213V, and provided the metric that his heart rate is 16 bpm higher than while riding a Yamaha:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128431

You have to consider the man in the engineering loop. Honda has been known in the past to lightly weigh subjective human data in favor of bike mounted sensors. IMO this is shortsighted on their part. One day, engineers will consider the human as just as important in the equation. Until then...all we get are gel hand grips (metaphorically speaking, of course).

17 hours ago, JohnCBoukis said:

Crutchlow recently indicated that he is physically struggling with the RC213V, and provided the metric that his heart rate is 16 bpm higher than while riding a Yamaha:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128431

17 hours ago, Jaybird180 said:

You have to consider the man in the engineering loop. Honda has been known in the past to lightly weigh subjective human data in favor of bike mounted sensors. IMO this is shortsighted on their part. One day, engineers will consider the human as just as important in the equation. Until then...all we get are gel hand grips (metaphorically speaking, of course).

Too true! By my comment is in context of the discussion regarding Crutchlow's peak heart rate of 192 bpm and points such as Spaghetti's about avoiding excess fatigue. If this rate was measured since 2015 while on his Honda, CC may be desperately trying to get that rate down as he unwillingly fights his current bike.

On 24/4/2017 at 11:46 PM, Jaybird180 said:

Interesting piece of prose. I remember that part about Rossi's heart rate but not the actual numbers as quoted on the DocuMovie, Faster.

I think however the OP is referring to bicycles which doesn't line up with the fear of death, unless Cal has trained himself to fear all single tracked vehicles-LoL.

I went back and found the scene in Faster - Scene 15, "Rossi & Biaggi Pt 2". Doctor Costa says that Rossi's max HR is 125bpm and the max for Biaggi is 170bpm.