Took 5 seconds off my PB - still kinda flawed/slow

I'm another 20 seconds off a good time which is fine. But I'd really like to perfect my form even if I never have the courage to flirt with great lap times.

Currently, I cannot get my butt as far left as I can to the right. I mean I don't get as far over with my flick. With a more clumsy effort, I can force my way off and then I feel a lot of tightness in my hips and back getting into the correct form. For the life of me I cannot figure out where the tightness is coming from and what kind of stretches would fix this.

When I'm in a corner, I am limited by how low I can get my head by visibility through the visor. Here's a pic which shows how limited I am - this is as low as I can go. Note the nerd-like refusal to quit covering the brake. :) In this pic I'm actually doing a decent job of hanging off but it required so much more effort than going to the right and I felt tightness in my back getting into that position which I never feel to the right. I think I'd have more good pix if Thunderhill had more rights. :)

IMG 2017-07-05 at 9.11.28 AM.png

Thanks. :)

Yeah, ironically it's the opposite for me. Judging by Gs and lean angle, I'm way more confident in lefts. 1.14g left to .98g right (peak for each). And 43 degrees peak left to 38 peak to the right. This pattern plays out session after session, day after day. It's not a one-off. The reason I say it's opposite is that left is the side I have trouble hanging off correctly. I tend to get over way less to the side that I'm significantly faster on. When I work really hard at flicking over and actually do get over "enough", I feel tightness in my hips and back making me far less comfortable getting down and pointed in the right direction. I can still keep my elbows bent, inside elbow down, hands light on the bars, and not crossed up. But there's so much tension throughout my back and hips that I just notice that I have physical imbalances to work on.

How far back from the tank are you? It's very hard to tell from the photo, but I am wondering if you have enough distance from the tank to allow you to rotate your hips into the turn, so you can get your chest down without having to twist your lower back to do it. Sometimes scooting back in the seat a little can make it a lot easier to rotate your pelvis into the turn so your back is more in alignment, plus is helps push your outside knee more into the tank.

I see the problem! Back pain is the penance for being on a TRIUMPH! If you look closely you'll see that the Brits even put the axle in the wrong way.

LoL

just kidding with you. It's a cool bike, in fact, I was going to get a Daytona as my 1st but I wasn't cool enough, so the salesman wouldn't sell me one. I ended up getting a 3rd hand Honda a couple years after earning more cool points.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hotfoot said:

How far back from the tank are you? It's very hard to tell from the photo, but I am wondering if you have enough distance from the tank to allow you to rotate your hips into the turn, so you can get your chest down without having to twist your lower back to do it. Sometimes scooting back in the seat a little can make it a lot easier to rotate your pelvis into the turn so your back is more in alignment, plus is helps push your outside knee more into the tank.

To be honest it varies. Sometimes I locked on to the back of the tank with my thigh and others I'm farther back with knee into the side of the tank. I can say that I can do either position in right turns without any trouble.

I've been working on stretching off the bike and practicing on the road. One thing I've noticed is that I've had different mechanics with my inside foot R/L. I'm now trying to focus on replicating every detail of my right turns on my left turns. I hope it's sorted by the time I come back to CSS so I can spend my time working on fun stuff. :)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BikeSpeedman said:

To be honest it varies. Sometimes I locked on to the back of the tank with my thigh and others I'm farther back with knee into the side of the tank. I can say that I can do either position in right turns without any trouble.

I've been working on stretching off the bike and practicing on the road. One thing I've noticed is that I've had different mechanics with my inside foot R/L. I'm now trying to focus on replicating every detail of my right turns on my left turns. I hope it's sorted by the time I come back to CSS so I can spend my time working on fun stuff. :)

I could have written the exact same post. So as you fix your problems (or at least get suggestions), I'll be following along to address mine too.

• Like 1

I've been doing some introspection and I realize I actually do prefer right turns. There's some pre-turn stress probably linked to the fact my body doesn't bend that way as easily. So why am I faster in lefts? Possibly bc Thunderhill is almost entirely lefts and I get to practice them a lot more. There are 10 lefts and 5 rights by the official count. However, 2 of the rights are kinda straights so you don't lean much at all and another 2 are off camber so you're naturally going to lean less on those. There's only one level right turn where you're not straight-lining it and that one is a very late apex where you're trying to stand the bike up asap bc it essentially leads on to the front straight (you're pretty straight through the next corner).

It'd be interesting to look at the data on a track with some fast right hand sweepers.