Top Handling Bike

It's been a while since I've been on one, but 125 GP bikes are another world in terms of handling. The ones we had at the school (for any that don't know, we had a 125 GP school for a while), were '94-'96 RS-125's. One had to re-learn what really precise and light handling was all about, nothing I had ridden really prepared me for that. And the brakes--honest to god 1 finger at any speed.

You didn't hang off the things much and when getting used to the steering had to put WAY less effort into it.

Then, when you got back on a nice, light 600, all you could think of was, "What a freaking pig this thing is!"

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then, when you got back on a nice, light 600, all you could think of was, "What a freaking pig this thing is!"

ROFL :lol:

So sad but so true!

I have so little desire to ride or race a 600 after racing my 125's for so long and have yet to fulfill my dream of racing a 250. And now it seems two strokes are going away for good again. HRC and Yamaha stopped making new models several years ago and only build a few machines to order every year and this is the last year to get on a waiting list for a new one as the FIM is giving them up after 2010. It makes me want to cry.

• 3 months later...

ROFL :lol:

Hey, what's ROFL?

C

Hey, what's ROFL?

C

ROFL = Rolling On Floor Laughing

LMAO = Laughing My A$$ Off

ROFLMAO = Rolling On Floor Laughing My A$$ Off

:)

Hey, what's ROFL?

C

ROFL = Rolling On Floor Laughing

LMAO = Laughing My A$$ Off

ROFLMAO = Rolling On Floor Laughing My A$$ Off

:)

That's funny!

• 1 month later...
OK, here's the question: What's the best handling bike you have ever ridden (we'll stick to road bikes for this), and then why? I'm interested to see what you come up with.

Cobie

Of course this is a very subjective question. I had a chance to ride the new Buells at a Buell sponsored track day at Sear Point a few weeks ago. Other then the bad suspension and under powered motors they are great bikes.........I'll not be selling my Ducati 749r anytime soon. Set up in the 23.5 degree rake with the 97mm trail front end set up, it is by far the best handling bike I have ever been on, even better then the 999s Ducati I used to ride.

My '05 636 is king. I've only ridden '05 and older, but nothing comes close. Most of the bikes I've ridden were either before or when I was just starting track, so I might feel different if I rode them again. The GSXR's feel like ZZR's compared to my bike, and the R-6 and R-1's I've ridden were smooth, but didn't handle like my bike. More than likely due to familiarity.

I do miss my Triumph. It wasn't a track bike, just a '99 Legend, but it was boss. Smooth as all get out.

My '05 636 is king. I've only ridden '05 and older, but nothing comes close. Most of the bikes I've ridden were either before or when I was just starting track, so I might feel different if I rode them again. The GSXR's feel like ZZR's compared to my bike, and the R-6 and R-1's I've ridden were smooth, but didn't handle like my bike. More than likely due to familiarity.

I do miss my Triumph. It wasn't a track bike, just a '99 Legend, but it was boss. Smooth as all get out.

I loved the extra torque of the 636's too. And the '05 model was a better riding position than the '03. That was about one of my favorite al-round bikes.

C

how about the latest ducati 1098/s or the bmw hp2 sport? those ones are very top of the line and since non Japanese they are more pricely and less wide spread to the regular riders?

Havne't yet ridden a 1098. What did surprise me was the high dollar bike Stuman rode, the Desmosedici (probably spelled that wrong, the Italians can give me :)).

Stuman--what did you think of that bike?

'08 CBR600RR

I'd like to ride a modern 600 that had been worked on by a top mechanic: let's say a nice supersport bike (but not restricted by those rules), but maybe also light wheels, nice rearsets, and any other weight savings that could be done, along with nice suspension bits. Our old Chief Mechanic (Dave M.) used to work for Muzzy when Muzzy had the Kawi roadrace team, and said he knew lots of ways to trim weight.