Tires For '02 Zx6r....

I'm shopping around for new tires for my '02 Ninja ZX6R, as I'll need them for the upcoming riding season. I've only used the OEM Dunlop 207's, and though I'm very happy with the wear, I'd like to try something different. My riding consists mainly of mountain and country back roads, no track riding, no interstate riding, and the occasional short commute to work. I'm an average street rider, not overly aggressive, but do have occasional "spirited" moments. The Ninja runs that odd 65 series front tire, and not too many manufacturers make that size. Can I run a 70, or will major adjustments need to be made to run that size? With that said, I've been considering the Metzeler Sportec M-1's. The only thing that concerns me is I've read that they wear out quickly. Would they be that bad for someone like me with an average riding style? What tires would you consider? Thanks for your input.

I'm shopping around for new tires for my '02 Ninja ZX6R, as I'll need them for the upcoming riding season. I've only used the OEM Dunlop 207's, and though I'm very happy with the wear, I'd like to try something different. My riding consists mainly of mountain and country back roads, no track riding, no interstate riding, and the occasional short commute to work. I'm an average street rider, not overly aggressive, but do have occasional "spirited" moments. The Ninja runs that odd 65 series front tire, and not too many manufacturers make that size. Can I run a 70, or will major adjustments need to be made to run that size? With that said, I've been considering the Metzeler Sportec M-1's. The only thing that concerns me is I've read that they wear out quickly. Would they be that bad for someone like me with an average riding style? What tires would you consider? Thanks for your input.

I went through 2 sets of the Dunlop 208's last year and got about 5k out of each set. I try to ride the twisties as much as possible. They stick like glue until they get around 5k then I can feel the back getting a bit loose as you get out the the flat spot. I just mounted up a set of the M1's, now to get a nice day so I can try 'em out.

• 2 weeks later...

three brands i've noticed with exceptional wear characteristics are michelin, bridgstone and maxxis.

the tires they offer for your flavor of riding are the pilot power, bt-014 and supermaxx m6029, respectively.

it won't be "necessary" to make adjustments going from a 65 to a 70 but, you'll notice a change in handling...it will be a little lazy going into turns and your "effort" may have to be increased. this does have the benefit of making the bike "more stable".

additionally, the taller tire might not fit under the fender. you may be able to alleviate that by elongating the mounting holes in the fender. check the feasibility of that before you buy. it's an easy fix with a uni-bit.