Follow Up - Level 2

I attended Level 2 at Laguna on March 13, 2006. Unlike my experience at Level 1 at Street of Willow Springs in 2005, I left this school with a smile but a sense that I had not gained nearly as much from the day. Specifically, it felt as if the individual sessions and skills overlapped and that I had not learned much beyond what I had already gleaned from TOTW2 and the Level 1 class.

No biggie, I figured, the track was a blast, the weather cleared up nicely and hell even the lunch was better. It was a great day of safe and fun riding and that's always a good thing. :)

Surprisingly, my rides since then have actually revealed a few things. One - I find myself regularly focusing on the "wide angle" perspective and benefitting from it. I had always thought (and expressed in the sessions) that this was a habit I already had...but yet I find that my previously unnoticed "tunnel vision" moments are becoming less frequent and more importantly, far shorter. I've also made a point of riding the various lines on some favorite (and "familiar" roads) just as we did on the track. Despite thinking that I knew these roads well, I found some new approaches to some corners and thanks to all debris created by the recent rains I'm less inclined to assume conditions have remained constant since my last ride.

Can the class be improved? Of course - that's part of the mentality that I've taken away from the CSS. You can always improve as long as you remain receptive to new knowledge.

Thanks Stuman and Cobie...I'll keep presurring the wife for my next CSS budget allowance!

I'm glad you had a good time at the school. Sometimes it takes a little while for this stuff to sink in a bit, and for you to really make it your own.

Pur- The level two skills are all about the way you use your eyes, visual skills. The stuff is a bit more conceptual, but just as important as what you learned in level one.

• 1 month later...

I quite enjoyed level two..

It helped GREATLY with riding at speed... If you can't see faster.. you can't ride faster...

NOW.. all that being said.. Once you get Level two drill down (better) you REALLY benefit from LEVEL III~

IT was great.. and it worked fine for me in Level 2, but I have to tell you... Once you learn to incorporate your level two visual skills with your Level Three Body Positioning... Wow ... it really all comes together... I noticed a HUGE difference in the three days I was just at Reno/Fernly Raceway.

Good luck, and remember... WORK on the Drills... not the speed. The boys and girls at CSS will be behind you all the way, and hey.. they don't miss much in terms of "errors"

Good luck, and have a blast...

ShinySide up...

Aaron :D

• 1 month later...

I noticed very similar, I started club racing and qickly decided i needed training. Level 1 I feel I learned so much but on the track there was little improvment.

This year i did level2, to be honest the training didnt seem as relivant. Although i enjoyed the day I questioned spending the money.

However the only track time I had planned was racing, Its then very hard to try things like the changing lines drill but i tried my best. With racing I was faster and the 2 step from level 1 ll came together :-) andworking on wide angle and target fixation allowed me to gain 6 secs a lap at donington (uk).

Crashed at the next meeting but in practise i again took 6 secs off at Cadwell without trying for a hot lap.

Anyway level 2 has made a big diff on my riding and i still havent managed to realy practise the changing lines, would need to book in a trackday before racing but sure that is the one that will make the biggest diff for me.

Anyway as soon as i can ride a bike again will be booking lever 3

I noticed very similar, I started club racing and qickly decided i needed training. Level 1 I feel I learned so much but on the track there was little improvment.

This year i did level2, to be honest the training didnt seem as relivant. Although i enjoyed the day I questioned spending the money.

However the only track time I had planned was racing, Its then very hard to try things like the changing lines drill but i tried my best. With racing I was faster and the 2 step from level 1 ll came together :-) andworking on wide angle and target fixation allowed me to gain 6 secs a lap at donington (uk).

Crashed at the next meeting but in practise i again took 6 secs off at Cadwell without trying for a hot lap.

Anyway level 2 has made a big diff on my riding and i still havent managed to realy practise the changing lines, would need to book in a trackday before racing but sure that is the one that will make the biggest diff for me.

Anyway as soon as i can ride a bike again will be booking lever 3

I've always thought that the Level II drills and skills are the most diffucult to take "on board" because it requires so much retraining of our visual system. There isn't anything natural about our eyes except that they create most of our problems because of their archaic programming to search out danger--not to find a good line through a corner or get us out of a panic situation.

Trained, they are superb instruments that aid us in riding. Untrained, they get us into trouble.

Great onyour successes with the drills, the more you use them the more breakthroughs you will continue to have with your riding.

Keith

• 1 month later...
Guest Mike Coon

I almost wish the school had waited a few weeks before calling for the follow up. I enjoyed the class but also had the feeling that it was a bit light on new stuff. Then my riding just magically started improving because of the Level II drills. I am seeing alot better, way more confident at greater lean angles, steering quicker, paying attention to the vanishing point (this seems like common sense but it has helped me on unfamiliar roads) picking the bike up earlier, and generally riding with more comfort and confidence. It has improved my driving too - I may go out to the Solo II just o show off one Sunday. Anyway, I am looking forward to Level III - maybe at the Streets on a school bike if I can scrape up the dough.

Mike

Green Speed Triple at Barber