Phobia On Going Low On Corners

This could happen to some of us sometime in our riding life, but i guess its becoming a big issue for me.

i once was able to go low till e edge of my tires with no problem at all, but that was quite awhile back. After getting a brand new bike and seeing countless people crashing right infront of me got me into this phobia including some near miss for myself. Now i keep getting about 5mm of chicken strip on both side sometime the left is even worst. Don't get me wrong, i don't do extreme riding on street. i tried many ways to get over it but fail.

anyone who experience it before and manage to get over it have the answer to solve this phobia?

i miss the days when i can get so low to the ground at the limit and i love to have it back.

This could happen to some of us sometime in our riding life, but i guess its becoming a big issue for me.

i once was able to go low till e edge of my tires with no problem at all, but that was quite awhile back. After getting a brand new bike and seeing countless people crashing right infront of me got me into this phobia including some near miss for myself. Now i keep getting about 5mm of chicken strip on both side sometime the left is even worst. Don't get me wrong, i don't do extreme riding on street. i tried many ways to get over it but fail.

anyone who experience it before and manage to get over it have the answer to solve this phobia?

i miss the days when i can get so low to the ground at the limit and i love to have it back.

It sounds like your brain is battling you and messing with your focus and concentration. This can be dangerous when a decision needs to be made quickly.

I've had this happen a few times over the years, and the first thing to do is SLOW DOWN. It's going to take a little while to convince yourself that everything will work out right. It also gives you more time and less fear to deal with.

What I like to do is purposely move my body into position well before the turn. I use this as the "focus" position. I move my head over by the mirror and look deep into the turn. This reminds me to focus on the things I know about riding and execute them without being distracted by the static in my head. I may not need to lean that far (I seldomly hang off on the street, and I don't here.)

I like to set my speed for a set of turns and not change it by accelerating hard on the straights. Just smooth, even throttle with no chopping getting into the turn. It may be a little scary getting into a turn like that right now, but if your speed is slow enough you will soon start realize that you will be just fine.

I find that riding like this on familiar roads for a little while shakes the noise out and gets rid of the static.

My only other thought is that if riders are binning in front of you on a regular basis, you are riding too fast for the street.

• 2 weeks later...

Stop focusing on judging your abilities by how much rubber is left on the tire. That is a dangerous game and can get you in trouble.

You're on a new bike. You are obviously not as comfortable/confident as you were on your old bike. This could be due to setup, tires or just survival reactions and mental barriers.

Concentrate on being smooth and having fun.

Who of these pics do you think is the faster rider on the same corner, of the same track:

PIC 1 - GREG on a 1000, damned near dragging elbow

IMG_1478.JPG

PIC 2 - JEFF (me) on my 600, not even dragging knee

IMG_0204_1.JPG

PIC2 takes it. I'm a solid 4 seconds faster than Greg, and I'm talking 1:13 for me vice 1:17 for Greg, so 4 seconds is significant.

Focus on finding your own comfortable cornering posture. With the correct posture, your bike will not be over-leaning beyond its ability as it uses lessl lean angle. Work on your anchor points on the bike like locking your outer knee against the tank or resting your outer forearm against the side of the tank and weighting the outside peg.

With these anchor points keeping you firm on the bike, you will feel more stable and will be able to focus on the line and getting the right (knee scrapping?) speed through the corners.

• 4 weeks later...

Jef4y said it best I am not even that fast on the track yet but I have noticed when I come up on slower riders they are trying their hardest to drag a knee. Because you are low to the ground doesn't necessarily mean you are traveling fast. I personally think your trying to hard if you live by a mountain I would try the no brakes coasting down the mountain that Keith Code talks about it really helps you with smooth corner entrance.