Rent Or Byob Opinions?

Guest JPtak

Hey everybody,

I'm thinking about signing my dad up for the L1 class as a Christmas present. I raced from 2000-2005, and my dad was my primary crew chief, where he loved every minute of it. He's never been *on* the track - but he's hinted that he'd like to try it some time. I figure this is a perfect opportunity.

He's got ~12 years riding experience (Harleys), and his most recent 3 years on a touring sportbike ('98 CBR1100XX.)

Question is: do you think he'd be better off learning the techniques in your school using his own bike that he's familiar with? Or would he learn faster/more quickly with a machine that's a little more track-ready and use one of your ZX-6s? I ultimately figure cost will be the same either way - the $200 difference will go to new tires on his bike if he uses his own, so it's really all about what's going to be the best and most useful experience for him.

Thanks!

I think that unless you're trying to use the school as a venue to set up your race bike as well, renting one of their bikes the best bet. For an extra 300 bucks (the price of a set of good tires), you don't have to worry about anything on your bike breaking and ending your day early. Their bikes are set up beautifully, and just knowing that will give incredible confidence which helps alot. And even little things like not having to trailer your bike, or even so much as refuel or tinker between sessions are great. You get more time to talk to instructors, benchrace with the other studetns, or just rest. And if you crash you're only out your damage deposit at most. Sure if you're bike is worth less than the damage deposit plus rental fee it may be financially sound. But I don't see that being the case very often. I love my bike, but I think I'll probably always do the rental. just my two cents.

I agree with using one of the school's Ninjas. I enjoyed learning on a track-ready bike that was set up perfectly, and then I was able to feel where my own bike could use some adjusting.

Good points both of you. I often suggest that after a few days on ours, can be a good idea to then bring your own, even just to have Will have a look at it, maybe get some suspension advice on in.

Cobie

Thanks guys.

I went ahead and signed him up using the school's ZX-6 at Blackhawk a few minutes ago. If anything I think it'll be fun to see his reaction to riding a sportier bike. Just hearing his comments about how much better things felt when he took his first ride on the CBR (vs. his Harley) were comical.

Now my fingers are crossed they email me and don't call for confirmation - I used my email address, but left his phone number. I'd hate to spoil the surprise.

Thanks again for the opinions. Happy holidays everybody!

jptak,

If there is any possibility, call the office and take his phone number off (for now at least). Truthfully, if the office hasn't called yet, and it's for x-mas, not likely to be a problem.

He'll have fun at Blackhawk, it's a neat track, demanding too.

Cobie

jptak,

If there is any possibility, call the office and take his phone number off (for now at least). Truthfully, if the office hasn't called yet, and it's for x-mas, not likely to be a problem.

He'll have fun at Blackhawk, it's a neat track, demanding too.

Cobie