Super-short Rider In A Panic..

Folks,

I reckon that you've had plenty of these questions in the past, but I do hope you will humor me. I've signed up for CSS at Miller Motorsports in June and am super excited about it. I have a whole bunch of questions though, and I hope someone here can answer them and put me at ease.

Here goes nothing:

1. As mentioned in the title, I am super-short - meaning all of 5 feet, with an inseam of 28". I wear the Frey-Daytona Ladystar boots that have an inset of about 2". I've been riding a slightly lowered 2001 SV for about a year now - stock seat, it had lowering links put in at some point to lower it about an inch, and then it was raised back again, but it is still lower than a stock SV.

I went to the Kawasaki store to try the ZX-6R, but it was really tall for me. I couldn't even touch the ground with my toes. If it were lowered an inch, I might just *barely* touch the first mm of my toes to the ground.

I know that everyone says that being able to flatfoot isn't important, but I'm very nervous about getting adjusted to riding such a tall bike in a matter of hours. I don't do well under pressure. :( I've also never ridden a sportsbike before and am not used to the positioning of the handlebars and the rearsets. [i do have a lot of touring/commuting miles under my belt on a cruiser/standard.]

I've heard that your mechanic can do wonders, but what exactly can he do for someone like me?

(Riding my own bike to the track is not an option, as I live in WA state.)

2. Will I be able to ride the other instructional bikes inspite of my height? I mean the various stationary bikes that are supposed to teach leaning/counter-steering etc.

3. You guys came to Pacific Raceways last year. Why aren't you doing it this year, and do you anticipate coming here anytime in the future?

Thanks in advance!

Folks,

I reckon that you've had plenty of these questions in the past, but I do hope you will humor me. I've signed up for CSS at Miller Motorsports in June and am super excited about it. I have a whole bunch of questions though, and I hope someone here can answer them and put me at ease.

Here goes nothing:

1. As mentioned in the title, I am super-short - meaning all of 5 feet, with an inseam of 28".

Schmi, didn't you see the video on the site addressing this issue? From what I could see, at the start of the camp, they hook a ZX-6R up to your arms, and another to your legs, both via one hundred foot long stout bungee chords, and that two highly skilled CSS instructors then ride away from each other at full throttle.

The mechanic is the guy with the calculator who works out how many runs they need to make before you are tall enough to fit the equipment, and without actually pulling you in half.

I hope this helps... :D :D :D

Edit: Err... I'm not a school instructor either, but a little humour never hurt. And also, it just might work... :D

Guest Guest

Hi schmi,

I am not a school instructor so technically I shouldn't really be replying here, but...

When I first switched from a cruiser style bike to a Ninja 600, the biggest adjustment for me was the forward riding position that felt like riding a "ten-speed" bicycle. So, I might suggest spending time on a *short* "ten-speed" style bicycle or mountain bike (with front shocks?) that closely emulates the forward biased riding position of a sport bike as much as possible to try and get used to it.

Good luck,

Racer

I don't know exactly what Will could do for you, but at my last couple outings with CSS I saw a few vertically challenged ladies find ways around it. If you can at least hang off a little bit to one side and stand it up with one foot, when you come in from the track the instructors or other students are quick to take the bike from you and park it. I'm not sure how they worked lining up at Hot Pit prior to the session starts, but other than that I don't see any other places where touching the ground is any issue at all. A little prior coordination with the instructors and you might be OK. If you can reach the controls, you should be good. I'm sure the staff will be along shortly with a much better answer.

When I first switched from a cruiser style bike to a Ninja 600, the biggest adjustment for me was the forward riding position that felt like riding a "ten-speed" bicycle. So, I might suggest spending time on a *short* "ten-speed" style bicycle or mountain bike (with front shocks?) that closely emulates the forward biased riding position of a sport bike as much as possible to try and get used to it.

Hi there,

I agree that it was a big challenge switching from my first cruiser to the SV650. I am assured that the switch from the SV to a sportsbike would not be nearly that big. I'll try the mountain bike suggestion though, as I've actually got one laying around gathering dust.

Hi schmi,

Oh, an SV650... that's great! You should have no trouble then.

I think the school has several ways to customize the bike for you and only recommends contacting them directly ahead of time so that they can have everything ready for you when you arrive.

Nothing to worry about! Enjoy!

Racer

Hi schmi,

Oh, an SV650... that's great! You should have no trouble then.

I think the school has several ways to customize the bike for you and only recommends contacting them directly ahead of time so that they can have everything ready for you when you arrive.

Nothing to worry about! Enjoy!

Racer

Hope to hear from one of them soon! :)

Actually, the 'short rider who can't touch the ground" question gets asked and answered a lot here. In fact I think if you look just a few threads down or use the search function you will see the answer. Anyway, be sure to call ahead in person on the phone with your measurements or concerns.

Actually, the 'short rider who can't touch the ground" question gets asked and answered a lot here. In fact I think if you look just a few threads down or use the search function you will see the answer. Anyway, be sure to call ahead in person on the phone with your measurements or concerns.

Hi there,

Thanks for your response. I did indeed look at older posts before making this one. They all stated that folks were pleased with the bike they got, but they either didn't mention details of the rider's height and inseam, or the rider was taller than I am. I should probably call the school and talk to the mechanic. I just posted here because I thought that the boards are actively monitored by the school and it would be the same thing to discuss it here as to talk on the phone. Also, this way the knowledge could be archived for future short riders.

Hi there,

Thanks for your response. I did indeed look at older posts before making this one. They all stated that folks were pleased with the bike they got, but they either didn't mention details of the rider's height and inseam, or the rider was taller than I am. I should probably call the school and talk to the mechanic. I just posted here because I thought that the boards are actively monitored by the school and it would be the same thing to discuss it here as to talk on the phone. Also, this way the knowledge could be archived for future short riders.

Actually, a quick look at the schedule suggests that they were probably all busy on track at Willow Springs earlier this week, and are currently driving halfway across the country to Las Vegas where they will be busy for another couple of days. I'd say they probably haven't been in front of a computer for a few days and may not even be in a position to see your questions until after the weekend...

Actually, a quick look at the schedule suggests that they were probably all busy on track at Willow Springs earlier this week, and are currently driving halfway across the country to Las Vegas where they will be busy for another couple of days. I'd say they probably haven't been in front of a computer for a few days and may not even be in a position to see your questions until after the weekend...

Well that explains it. :) Oh well, I have plenty of time until June in any case.

Do you know how long it takes before they send you the "welcome packet" in the mail? I signed up 2-3 weeks ago, but I haven't received it yet.

Hi schmi,

Try this thread: http://forums.superbikeschool.com/index.ph...56&hl=short

Racer

Hi schmi,

Try this thread: http://forums.superbikeschool.com/index.ph...56&hl=short

Racer

Thanks, Racer! I did see that thread, however the rider in question has a full 2 inches on me. I am way shorter. :(

Hi schmi,

I think the critical info was Cobie's final post:

"If you let us know...we can help at the school. Let the office know in advance."

The school used to have a toll free telephone number but: (323) 224-2734.

In the meantime, leave a PM for Cobie here:

http://forums.superbikeschool.com/index.php?showuser=1349

and I am sure he will get back to you ASAP or certainly in time for your school.

No worries!

Cheers,

Racer

I don't know exactly what Will could do for you, but at my last couple outings with CSS I saw a few vertically challenged ladies find ways around it. If you can at least hang off a little bit to one side and stand it up with one foot, when you come in from the track the instructors or other students are quick to take the bike from you and park it. I'm not sure how they worked lining up at Hot Pit prior to the session starts, but other than that I don't see any other places where touching the ground is any issue at all. A little prior coordination with the instructors and you might be OK. If you can reach the controls, you should be good. I'm sure the staff will be along shortly with a much better answer.

Thanks, Mike! It would certainly help is someone was around to help in case I start teetering over. I'm probably worried about nothing, and should start getting in shape for the class. :)

Schmi;

Consider that the only time that you need to touch your foot down is when you are in line on the hot pit or are getting off the bike, you will adapt. If you are really feeling awkward, just wait to be the last rider in line; then you can make your approach to pit out as a short ride, drop your foot just once when you get to Course Control and you'll be fine. By the time you go out for your second session, you will have figured out how to do this - and I can say that because I'm not a lot taller than you.

Kevin

Hi Schmi,

Sorry for the tardy response, been away doing schools a lot over the last few weeks.

5'2 and 5'3 is common, but your size is a bit shorter. We have helped with some riders by being their when they start or stop, those are the critical times. We do have one bike that is a little bit shorter, and we could get you on that, but not sure it will be enough so. Brining your own bike, I see the problems with that and the distance, but maybe one of our closer schools could be possible, like Inifineon?

Riding the other training bikes might not work, like the lean bike, it is for sure a bit taller.

We don't have any plans to go back to Pacific Raceway, we weren't totally happy with some of the safety features.

We could talk about this further, feel free to call any time: 800-530-3350

Best,

Cobie