• Laguna
    • Thunderhill
    • Sears
    • Blackhawk
    • Watkins
    • VIR
    • North Florida
    • Mid Ohio

In the USA it's Laguna so far but the Barber track looks very cool. In Europe it's Catalunya.

:)

Andy Ibbott :D

Laguna is fun, but for sure the tires have to be warm there. I'd like to try some of the Euro tracks, or Brands Hatch long circuit looks like fun.

:)

I ride an underpowered bike, and as such prefer real technical tracks. There is where one seperates the real riders from those with a penchant for point, squirt and park it antics.

A few years back I woudn't have picked Sears Point (don't you DARE call it Infineon) but these days, and especially after the repaving last August it is as challenging and fun a track as any I've ridden.

Sure, there are still some rough patches, and the carousel still gives me the willies come race day but us small displacement riders can run circles around hooligans on big bikes there, and that always puts a smile on my face.

Right now they're in the process of moving yet more mountains, and with the decent runoff in 1 and 6 soon to be completed it really will be a true riders track, with not too much solid and unmoving to slow a rider down except for his or her own fears.

-jim

What??? No Road America?

So I'm in the midwest and haven't been to many coastal tracks (other than summit pt), so in the midwest, here's my pics...

1. Road America

2. Gingerman

3. Blackhawk Farms

Then it would go into Gateway, Summit, etc...

Blackhawk is my home track, and I only live about an hour away from it (well, that puts me an hour from Road A too). Since they repaved it, it has DEFINITELY went up HIGH on the list. But Gingerman is just so damned fun, and 2 years in a row now, I've placed top 5 in EVERY race I enter there.

If I could ride *any* track in the world? I don't know... Probably Monza. I like the layout...

I personally enjoy Mid-Ohio the most. But, unfortunately I've only been able to ride 3 tracks so far. Many fellow riders have become overwhelmed at Mid-Ohio because of the asphault/concrete joints in the turns. I've watched many of them run parallel with the joints in turns, and a few low side by getting hung-up/rolled-out somehow? Novist-ingly, I enjoy the extra challenge of narrowing my window of where to place my bike.

What I'd like to hear is what the favorite tracks of the CSS staff are. With their vast exposures to tracks, what are their favorites?

I'm sure there's a link between the amount of time one spends on a track and how much they like it. I envision running one track over and over until I get it right..., then obviously that'll be my favorite.

Better yet, is there such thing as a track that someone doesn't like when we're out there having the time of our lives?

Well, I've only rode on 2 tracks - Watkins and Pocono east. Both are a lot of fun. Watkins is nice because it isn't flat. Pocono is a lot of fun because of the tight corners. I look forward to riding more tracks next summer.

BTW, I'm moving to Missouri. Does anyone know of any tracks near the southern part of Missouri?

Favorite race track? All except one.

- Phillip Island (Australia)

- Eastern Creek (Australia)

- Sepang (Malaysia)

- Laguna (USA)

- VIR (USA)

- Broadford (Australia) - Favorite instructing track

- Putnam Park (USA)

- Wakefield (Australia)

- Mid Ohio (USA)

- Winton (Australia)

- Batungas (Philippines)

- Mallala (Australia)

- Oran Park (Australia)

- Sandown (Australia)

- Pikes Peak (USA)

- Subic (Philippines) * The only track I don't like for safety reasons.

(Yes - I am an Aussie :D )

• 2 weeks later...

Favorite race track? All except one.

- Phillip Island (Australia)

- Eastern Creek (Australia)

- Sepang (Malaysia)

- Laguna (USA)

- VIR (USA)

- Broadford (Australia) - Favorite instructing track

- Putnam Park (USA)

- Wakefield (Australia)

- Mid Ohio (USA)

- Winton (Australia)

- Batungas (Philippines)

- Mallala (Australia)

- Oran Park (Australia)

- Sandown (Australia)

- Pikes Peak (USA)

- Subic (Philippines) * The only track I don't like for safety reasons.

(Yes - I am an Aussie )

Bones,

You need to come to Europe mate where there are some REAL tracks! LOL (only kidding having done P Island and Creek and found them to be fun!)

If we start to get bored, we go reverse course. :D

Actually at Sepang, the back course was being used for testing, so we did a sighting lap from the pit lane to turn 7, and then went reverse course back to the pits :blink: Scary is a <G> rated word I could use to describe the experience.

Does anyone know of a circuit that is designed to be run in both directions?

Winton was able to be run in both directions, many moons ago. But is now strictly clockwise for safety reasons.

Cheers

BTW, I'm moving to Missouri. Does anyone know of any tracks near the southern part of Missouri?

not much in/near missouri i'm afraid...gateway international is in e stl, but it is not set up well for cycles at all (too many walls, sub-par layout, and awkward transition to the banked section. putnam park is a great track and is only 3.5 hrs east of st louis, IRP is half an hour farther (but nowhere near as fun). Blackhawk is up past chicago, so around 5.5 hours from stl. But i have absolutely no problem with taking the longer 8 hour drive to get to Barber. Of the 8 or so tracks i have ridden on, Barber Motorsports just outside of Birmingham is far and away the most fun (and smoothest) tracks i have been on.

I did Road Atlanta, nice fast track!! Keeps the heart beats up, especially in turn 12 after the hill... :o Didn't like CMP the 2 times I've been there, you go too fast and have to slow down too hard in several of the corners. Ya, with a 500lb+ bike, I don' like it. I've done Roebling Road 3 times and I like it pretty much. Fast with some good corners and nice straightaway.

But RA I guess is the best. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

QUOTE (YZFR1Freak @ Nov 22 2003, 06:38 AM)

QUOTE (Motorthings @ Dec 17 2003, 04:34 PM)

not much in/near missouri i'm afraid...gateway international is in e stl, but it is not set up well for cycles at all (too many walls, sub-par layout, and awkward transition to the banked section. putnam park is a great track and is only 3.5 hrs east of st louis, IRP is half an hour farther (but nowhere near as fun). Blackhawk is up past chicago, so around 5.5 hours from stl. But i have absolutely no problem with taking the longer 8 hour drive to get to Barber. Of the 8 or so tracks i have ridden on, Barber Motorsports just outside of Birmingham is far and away the most fun (and smoothest) tracks i have been on.

Sorry, couldn't use the buttons, had to do it the old fashioned way, copy and paste. I am responding due to a narrow response from Motorthings. Depending on where in southern Missori, there are a couple that are moderately close, but you will have to figure your own driving time since I don't believe in assuming Missouri means close to St. Louis.

Heartland Park In Topeka,KS

Hallet, which is just outside Tulsa, OK

Mid-America Motorplex, 15 miles south of Omaha,NE

Motorsports Ranch, 30 min west of Ft. Worth

Another in College Station, Tx, but can't remember the name.

Hope this helps

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Went to Mosport (east of Toronto) two weeks ago...WOW!

First time on a six gear WFO track...WOW!

Last weekend, Canadian Superbike riders Steve Crevier and Jeff Williams both got off when their rear tires let go in sixth gear at 170...WOW!

Kevin Kane

• 2 months later...

Teretonga in Invercargill NZ. It is fast with a grippy surface. Turn 1 is the highlight, its a 4th gear corner (on a 250GP bike) that just goes on and on, you just about come round in a full circle, and there is so much grip you are leaned all the way over right around. If they made a track with 2 straights and that corner both ends you'd have to call it heaven.

• 2 weeks later...

Normally, until yesterday I'd say my favorite track was Laguna Seca...but, yesterday, after many years of trying I repeatedly touched down my knee puck in four different corners at Firebird Raceway West Track with Travis' help!

Thank you Keith and Cobie and Stu! Level 4 Rocks! After nine classes I finally got it! :unsure:

I'm a happy boy (well, actually a 44 year old boy) and Firebird West is my new favorite track! :D