Tank Traction Pads

I was wondering if it's a good idea to install tank traction pads (i.e. StompGrip, TechSpec, etc.) on the tank? what are pros and cons?

Pros: More stability when cornering and especially under braking, traction provide essential weight transfer point from rider to center mass of bike, and frees the rider's arms/hand to "control" the bike and not using it as a brace.

Cons: It cost money. Probably the best $40 I ever spent.

I was wondering if it's a good idea to install tank traction pads (i.e. StompGrip, TechSpec, etc.) on the tank? what are pros and cons?

Pros: More stability when cornering and especially under braking, traction provide essential weight transfer point from rider to center mass of bike, and frees the rider's arms/hand to "control" the bike and not using it as a brace.

Cons: It cost money. Probably the best $40 I ever spent.

RocketPunch makes good points...something else to consider is the application. if you are primarily riding on the street the StompGrips could be a little irritating if you are wearing jeans and doing a lot of riding. The TechSpecs might be better. If you are doing track days or racing and wearing leathers, the Stomp Grips are much better, in my opinion. I have used both and have StompGrips on the CBR1000 and TechSpecs on the 999R.

Yep Fossil, heard the same from a few, Stomp is bit much for street riding, but works well at the track. Tech Spec is a pretty decent alternative, and way better for the street.

CF

Its great to know the difference between those two.

Since I almost always wear racing boots and knee protectors while riding on the street, I would go with StompGrip.

I have another question. Should I replace my OEM seat? It is kind of sticky. I used to have Corbin Seat on my first bike (I bought the bike with that seat already on). Corbin was very slippery. What kind of seat do you racers prefer, and why?

There is no negative about StompGrip in my opinion. Think of it as an investment in comfort and confidence. I ride with StompGrip on my street and track bikes, and don't see how it can be irritating. I understand that it does, but I ride with jeans, leathers, and scrubs using StompGrip, and wouldn't ride without it. Whatever they use at the school I really didn't like. Had no confidence in it after using StompGrip so long. It doesn't compare. I had a friend who uses griptape from skateboards and it's slowly eating through his leathers. It's what he likes though. If you have a friend willing to let you try out the traction pads on their bike I guarantee you'll head to your local distributor and grab some after trying it.

Without Tank Pad, you will miss a lot of fun. I believe it should be the first upgrade to bike if not the slider. I have tried the old school bikes but (by mistake?) I use eGrip because it is relatively clear and not hiding the graphics on the tank. It is silicone rubber and so even it is smoother (good for jean or bare skin), still has very good grip; but silicone is not as durable as other pads when rubbed by leather. ( I shall avoid graphics in next bike; but if there is graphics to show, I shall use eGrip again ). EGrip offers free sample kit too.

About a year ago(?) there was a thread about this and everyone seemed to like the tech-spec better...

...but in either case, what do you guys recommend for getting them to stick? i put tried stomp grips but they came off. I (thought I) cleaned the surface well, used isopropyl alcohol to clean, but still they wouldn't stay. My tank has a Pringle Potato Chip curve in that part of the tank, so the adhesive has to work hard. I have since bought some tech spec pads but haven't put them on until I'm sure I've got a good formula to make them stay.

We use Tech Spec on all of the bikes, both coach and student, at the school here in NZ and I would highly recommend it.

The adhesive on the Tech Spec is super sticky and yet removable and reusable. It will not come off without you wanting to take it off.

Awesome product for road or track.

Its great to know the difference between those two.

Since I almost always wear racing boots and knee protectors while riding on the street, I would go with StompGrip.

I have another question. Should I replace my OEM seat? It is kind of sticky. I used to have Corbin Seat on my first bike (I bought the bike with that seat already on). Corbin was very slippery. What kind of seat do you racers prefer, and why?

I want a seat that is not slippery. The reason being is that for me a slippery seat means less friction to hold on with. This is a personal preference and others may have a valid reason for a slppery seat. When I set my position in the turns or for hard braking the extra grip on the seat helps me to hold that position. This situation really comes into play on my Ducati which has a stock seat. It is hell trying to hold on under hard braking. The slippery seat is like a slip and slide and the force of the heavy braking drives me right into the tank...It hurts :blink: . To prevent this means extra effort using my legs to grip the tank and after a while wears me out.

Of course this doesn't mean a thing to someone who is riding street, this becomes more of a comfort thing and personal preference for everyday riding. B)

About a year ago(?) there was a thread about this and everyone seemed to like the tech-spec better...

...but in either case, what do you guys recommend for getting them to stick? i put tried stomp grips but they came off. I (thought I) cleaned the surface well, used isopropyl alcohol to clean, but still they wouldn't stay. My tank has a Pringle Potato Chip curve in that part of the tank, so the adhesive has to work hard. I have since bought some tech spec pads but haven't put them on until I'm sure I've got a good formula to make them stay.

I don't want to sound like a commercial for StompGrip. I am not compensated in any way. I have used StompGrip on three different bikes in the last 6 years. I have never had one come off or begin to come off. The technic I use and that is on the instructions is to 1.) CLEAN the surface and 2.) Use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat the surface and pad before applying. Remember that nothing sticks to a bad paint job.

I put the pads in the position I want them then mark a few small lines to keep me in the correct position when I permanently apply the pad. Ok, you have the surface hot and the pad hot now start with one corner and peal away in small amounts the backing as you put the pad on the tank. I keep applying heat while doing this as it makes the stompGrip easier to apply. TAKE YOUR TIME! Also remember to push between the studs to adhere surfaces.

I am old. I should probably be in a nursing home. I look for every edge I can to keep weight off the bars and a way to save energy while riding on the track. StompGrip if nothing else makes me confident I can do this. Is it the best? For me it is and that's all that really matters. TechSpec may make you or someone else feel the same way.

Stevo,

I talked with the Stomp guys recently, they had had a bad batch of adhesive a while back, we'd heard of some guys having problems. But what Fossil says worked well in terms of applying it (heat gun/hair dryer). I did one recently, and it worked well.

Some guys think the Stomp is too much through the jeans, but Jason doesn't mind obviously.

CF

Stevo,

I talked with the Stomp guys recently, they had had a bad batch of adhesive a while back, we'd heard of some guys having problems. But what Fossil says worked well in terms of applying it (heat gun/hair dryer). I did one recently, and it worked well.

Some guys think the Stomp is too much through the jeans, but Jason doesn't mind obviously.

CF

Thanks for the insight, maybe that was the problem with mine. My track day buddy has stomp grip and has had no problems. But for now I'll try the tech spec since I have them and see how it goes.

(By the way, Kiwi's avatar a few entries above is probably one of the best pictures showing how leaning off keep the bike's position more upright while the composite center of gravity is moved down... need to post that over in "Body Position Evolution"...)

Stevo,

CF

Thanks for the insight, maybe that was the problem with mine. My track day buddy has stomp grip and has had no problems. But for now I'll try the tech spec since I have them and see how it goes.

(By the way, Kiwi's avatar a few entries above is probably one of the best pictures showing how leaning off keep the bike's position more upright while the composite center of gravity is moved down... need to post that over in "Body Position Evolution"...)

Stevo.

I used the TechSpec on my bike and it worked fine with my street pants until I used my leather pants. Since I use my knees alot when cornering and breaking to hold my position on the seat, I noticed that it was chewing my leather not only the parts of the knees( side against the tank) but also my leather jacket since I had also the belly buttom tank protector. I am using now the Stomp grip and It feels much better and it is not destroying my leathers. Also the TechSpec wears out with use and the Stomp grip does not. For the belly part of the tank I bought a Carbon Fiber piece.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm grateful to you guys for very helpful information you provide here. Well, I installed StompGrip on my bike and felt the difference RIGHT AWAY. somehow strange feeling have developed -- the bike feels kinda lighter now. not sure if it's good or not, but it gives me more confidence. after a couple of minutes of riding i found out that my front brake lever can be squeezed to a point where it stops (before i was thinking it could touch my fingers if squeezed more). Guess what, i intentionally did a stoppie. Can anyone tell me what else should I install on my bike so I can learn to pop wheelies? laugh.gif

after a couple of minutes of riding i found out that my front brake lever can be squeezed to a point where it stops (before i was thinking it could touch my fingers if squeezed more). Guess what, i intentionally did a stoppie.

Well done Amid!!! You're braking harder now! Want to know why? Just as Rocketpunch stated in the 2nd post, Think about prior to the stompgrip when you were braking - since you had no grip onto the tank would it be fair to say a lot of the braking weight of your upper body went through your arms into the bike? Now with the grip you have on the tank using the stompgrip - the weight is being transferred into the tank... way closer to the bikes centre of mass.

Noticed yet with this new technique how your front suspension is not as loaded under braking... giving it free range to soak up bumps and ruts, handling better?

Now the hard part is just to remember to squeeze those knees in together whenever you have decent braking to do, and enjoy the benefits of a better handling bike :D

• 2 weeks later...
after a couple of minutes of riding i found out that my front brake lever can be squeezed to a point where it stops (before i was thinking it could touch my fingers if squeezed more). Guess what, i intentionally did a stoppie.

Well done Amid!!! You're braking harder now! Want to know why? Just as Rocketpunch stated in the 2nd post, Think about prior to the stompgrip when you were braking - since you had no grip onto the tank would it be fair to say a lot of the braking weight of your upper body went through your arms into the bike? Now with the grip you have on the tank using the stompgrip - the weight is being transferred into the tank... way closer to the bikes centre of mass.

Noticed yet with this new technique how your front suspension is not as loaded under braking... giving it free range to soak up bumps and ruts, handling better?

Now the hard part is just to remember to squeeze those knees in together whenever you have decent braking to do, and enjoy the benefits of a better handling bike :D

Yes Jason, that's what was happening. Before I had a stomp grip I was trying hard not to put any unnecessary pressure to the bars, but it seemed like it was impossible. I liked how you explained it. Also I noticed my right wrist doesn't hurt anymore :) Do all professional racers use them?

You can see a good mix of technology out there. Look at the inside part of the knee on Stoner's suit, it's got the grip part build into the suit!

I'll have a look at some AMA races, see if I can pick out a trend, good question!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I will be attending a few Superbike School days coming up at Infineon in Oct. and Nov.

I currently use the TechSpec SS tank pads and they work very well for me as long as I use my everyday riding pants (leather). I recently bought a one-piece leather racing suit for the track, but it's extremely slippery. Maybe it's the type of leather, or the location of the stretch panels, but I'm constantly sliding into my tank now and I'm having to work a lot harder. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there some way to treat the leather to get it to grip better against the traction pads?

Hi,

I will be attending a few Superbike School days coming up at Infineon in Oct. and Nov.

I currently use the TechSpec SS tank pads and they work very well for me as long as I use my everyday riding pants (leather). I recently bought a one-piece leather racing suit for the track, but it's extremely slippery. Maybe it's the type of leather, or the location of the stretch panels, but I'm constantly sliding into my tank now and I'm having to work a lot harder. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there some way to treat the leather to get it to grip better against the traction pads?

Hi Yogatriathlete,

New suits can be extremely slippery due to the oils in the skin from the manufacturer! It's like putting armour-all on a seat!!!!

If you can use the one piece for a weeks worth of daily rides that should be enough to work the oils out of the surface and deeper into the leather.

If you need a quick fix for a particular trackday/race etc then use a small amount of fabric softener on the leather that would be in contact with the seat. This will remove some of the good oils from the skin without damaging the stitching, but that is a 'last resort' option, it's a good idea that once you've finished with the suit put some good quality leather oil onto that same area and allow it to soak back in.

We have Tech Spec on our school bikes, works well.

A few of the coach bikes have Stomp, and using a heat gun or hair drying, warming both the tank and the pad worked really well.

Saw a lot of this tuff on AMA bikes at VIR and NJMP.

CF

Hi,

I've noticed the same thing. I have an Alpinestars 1 pc suit for the track, and their "bat pants" for twisty road days. Both materials are the same color and same 1.4mm spec leather, the the suit has little grip and the pants stick like rubber, but to the hand they feel similar. Whatever treatment they have on the riding pants I wish was on the suit!

Hi,

I've noticed the same thing. I have an Alpinestars 1 pc suit for the track, and their "bat pants" for twisty road days. Both materials are the same color and same 1.4mm spec leather, the the suit has little grip and the pants stick like rubber, but to the hand they feel similar. Whatever treatment they have on the riding pants I wish was on the suit!

Cheers Stevo, So the bat pants have stayed sticky even after the initial use?

If that's the case then my experience of the suits that have bedded due to oil soak might not be the only reason for slippery leather. Any leather experts out here who could chime in with the 'good oil' on the subject (pardon the pun)?