Brake Pads

tmckeen

What brand / level of brake pads do you guys use for your track / race bike ???

This past weekend my R6 was experiencing pretty massive amounts of brake fade , so in addition to new fluid ( Motul 600 RBF ), I think its time for some upgraded brake pads. I'm torn between full on superbike race spec pads, say EBC GPFAX or Galfer G1300, or the less aggressive EPFA / G1375 options

Thoughts ??

Tyler

I have practically no technical knowledge about brake pads, but I love the Ferodo XRACs. I am running 4-pot / 4-pad Brembos (not radially mounted) and a conventional master cylinder, which is probably lower spec than what you have on the R6. My brake fluid is nothing special (regular old DOT 4, Pennzoil I think). I have never noticed the slightest bit of fade with this setup. Initial bite is adequate and modulation is excellent. These pads do need a bit of heat in them to work properly, so corner 1 on the warmup lap is not where you want to test them.

Make sure you are 100% certain of a good bleed before you blame the pads. Sometimes air works its way through the system so bleeding several times at 1-d intervals can be useful. Another trick (don't ask me why it works) is to keep the lever strapped tight so the system is under pressure over night, then bleed.

I went with the Carbone Lorraines frankly because they were recommended by the guys at Sportbiketrackgear.com for the s1000rr. I replaced a set of EBCs but it is hard to compare them because I also upgraded to the Brembo RCS MC pretty much at the same time. I did have one track day on the new MC with EBCs before swapping but its probably unfair to compare the last day of one to the first day on the other. That said I have been happy with the CLs. They bite well and are not so agressive that turn 1 scare me :). I also use the Motul RBF 600 fluid but I honestly couldn't tell the difference on that and regular DOT.

I use the Verah SJL's for my road bike , full metal sintered GG rated , havn't had brake fade for the past 7500 miles
still have 1/2 of the pad material left when i did bleed the system at the 7000 miles ; I bleed my brake system every 6-9 months
But I dont track/race atm.

Vesrah's are pricy thou .

Go for big brands + price advantage if necessary , the brands menthoned above are pretty strong contenders imho. (EBC , CL, BREMBO, Fedoro)

I use SBS Dual Carbon on the R6 '08 racer. Carbon pads are supposed to require heat-up time, but I haven't noticed that. However, I do run HS organic pads in the wet.

Tyler, I believe that you have already replaced the stock rubber lines with steel braided lines, right? Otherwise this is an excellent and quite inexpensive upgrade that reduces fading and improves brake feel.

Kai

Kai,

yes braided steel lines is the first upgrade I add to any bike.

I've decided to go with Vesrah "SRJL-17" pads for now, I've also got seals for the pistons so I can rebuild both calipers, and purchased a "Flex Hone" to clean and resurface the rotors which have a fair amount of pad material and some slight glazing on them. I'll be sure and post some before and after pics of the rotors.

Kai,

yes braided steel lines is the first upgrade I add to any bike.

I've decided to go with Vesrah "SRJL-17" pads for now, I've also got seals for the pistons so I can rebuild both calipers, and purchased a "Flex Hone" to clean and resurface the rotors which have a fair amount of pad material and some slight glazing on them. I'll be sure and post some before and after pics of the rotors.

Thats alot of (and very good) preparation for brake pads! Care to share on what brake fluid you are going to use? :D

meanwhile you can have a look on the characteristics of the SRJL-17's compared to the other pad material here

(looks like quite alot of initial bite to me ; better make sure the tires are warm and grippy) :

http://www.vesrah.com/new_page_56.htm

• 2 weeks later...

I had SBS dual carbon on mine for a while. They do need a few pulls of the lever to get the first bit of hear ito them, but that's enough and after that they just get better the harder you use them. No use for the street though, the bite when really cold is maybe half or less of what you normally get, so just dangerous. Personally I avoid EBC.