New Here

OK, I'm new here. Considering a class, and wanting to look around. Been riding for several decades now--I was a riding instructor in the 80s (similar to MSF)--but I figure it's time to up my game a bit. As I'm from Canada, I'd need to travel a fair ways for the class, so probably fly somewhere, maybe Las Vegas--any pros/cons to particular tracks?

Welcome to the forums, Kootenanny!

The CSS "home" track - Streets of Willow Springs - is a very compact track with a lot of turn combinations, while makes it excellent for practicing the techniques. Large fast GP-circuits, like the Mazda Laguna Seca, will give you less laps per sessions and more time spent on straigths, waiting for the turns.

In the US, I have only ridden the Streets of Willows and "Big" Willow Springs tracks, so I cannot comment on the other tracks.

Kai

Welcome,

The school goes to "The Ridge" up in Washington once a year ( in the past, no idea on next years schedule ) , which would be much closer for you, it is a rather long track but its really quite amazing. I'm not a huge fan of Vegas as its VERY flat but its not a horrible layout aside from that, and they run it both directions so you may get to switch up on day 2. Streets of Willow however is one of the best tracks they run from a instructional point of view, and if you can ride fast there, you can ride fast anywhere :D

Tyler

Welcome to the Forums. Any of the tracks the school runs at are a great learning environment. I agree with KHP about the Streets of Willow Springs being a good track because it's the school's home track.

"Large fast GP-circuits, like the Mazda Laguna Seca, will give you less laps per sessions and more time spent on straigths, waiting for the turns."

I can't say I agree with that. I don't do much "waiting for the turns" myself on a big track. I do a lot of hard braking and being amazed at how quickly the turns come up. Small or big track they both have their challenges. :)

Thanks, guys. Good info.

And yeah, Seattle is closer to me in terms of direct distance, but unless I'm gonna ride there (which is not a bad idea--some very nice roads between here and there), it's probably easier to get to Vegas or even California, as there's a good-size airport in Spokane, which is just south of me. I was thinking Vegas because it's a cheap, direct flight (from pretty much anywhere :) ).