R.a.c.e Or Classes 3 And 4

I just completed the LVL 1 & 2 at Las Vegas this last weekend and feel like I did pretty well. My track coaches were Chris - LVL 1 and James LVL 2. I called the office today hoping to book LVL's 3 & 4 at either Sonoma or Laguna then continue on to R.A.C.E. Ultimately, I'd like to do a little club racing, not because I think I'll be competitive (too old and fat!) but because it's something I have always wanted to do. When I called the office today, the nice lady said that I didn't necessarily have to complete levels 3 and 4 to enroll in R.A.C.E. I'd like some feedback on this please.

Thank you very much.

Tracy Bullard

What kind of lap times were you doing out at Las Vegas ? Which group do you normally ride in at a normal track day ? Have you ridden Streets of Willow and if so whats your normal lap time there ?

The pace at a Code R.A.C.E. school is a good bit faster than a normal school day, and there are basically no ontrack rules, no 6 ft passing rule , no blue flags for "creative riding technique". I haven't personally attended the R.A.C.E. school, but I've watched quite a few from my post as a corner worker. From what I've seen the weekend is pretty much like signing up for a 2 day race weekend, with some personal coaching and specific drills between practice and qualifying sessions.

Tyler

Thanks Tyler, I'm definitely getting ahead of myself. I appreciate you helping me to get some perspective. As you know from working the corners, there's a lot of traffic and rules for passing. With that said my best lap at vegas was 00:02:11. I was only passed by coaches and one of the corner workers but he freakin blew my doors off. I was working on technic more than trying to get around the track the fastest. Truth is, I only took it out of rain mode on the last session of the second day. Regardless, I get your point and see that I don't have near the experience necessary at this time.

I'm not a regular at the Vegas Schools, so I'm not as familiar with what the lap times are like there, but I think a 2:11 is pretty good, my best is a 2:10 for Counter Clockwise which I'm guessing that was. IMO it comes down to if you're comfortable with more "intense" environment that racing is going to provide. I'd recommend at least doing level 3 first , cause theres a lot of good technique in level 3 that will come in handy as your speeds increase, and you can always ask your on track coach if they think you're ready for the R.A.C.E. school, I'm sure they can oblige you a few close passes to see if your going to flinch :D

They do need the rabbit to send out in front for the wolves/greyhounds to go catch. . .. .

They have one, His name is Joe ..... but no one really catches him

Thanks again. I've decided to take 3 & 4. I'm on the wait list for laguna and booked Sonoma in the fall as a fall back. The 2:11 was clockwise at Vegas. In the meantime I'll get some track days in and keep working on my skills. I freakin love going fast on motorcycles! Anyone know of any track days at thunder hill, Sonoma or laguna seca anyt time soon? I can comfortably hit any of these tracks from my location.

If I were you I would ask the coaches you worked with in level 1 & 2. You can PM Cobie and ask if they are comfortable with you emailng them directly. In my experience, the coaches have been very open to sharing some additional feedback following working with a student. I havent worked with Chris but I have had James as a coach and I'd be surprised if he wouldnt be able to tell you if you were right for Code RACE.

Best,

Carey