Photos Of Ourselves...

Good job on handling that slide!

I had a look at your photos, wondered if we'd gotten you to Level 2 and 3 yet? If not, consider that, we have some stuff we can do there that will help you on the bike. If you have done level 2, let me know.

Best,

Cobie

Thanks, Cobie.

I did Levels I & II on the same weekend. It was my understanding that Level III gets more into body position, so decided to keep working with my basics another year. I did learn how quicly reference points need to change. My fastest lap with you guys was around 2:15. My fastest lap this weekend was 1:56. NO WHERE NEAR THE SAME TURN IN POINTS! I found that I can go faster if I am being towed, but that doesn't count in my book.

I got another day @ Barber in September to do some more work.

Look for me in Level III next summer, though!

For sure let me know when you set a date, I'll be ready for you.

Regarding your photo, now that you have done Level 2, did you get on the Lean Bike?

C

I did. That is where I am least comfortable. Sometimes it feels like I am waaaay off of the bike...but the pictures tell the true story. I really need to work on the comfort factor. I realized that I wasn't getting off of the bike far enough toward the end of the day when I took a fairly fast lap and heard metal scraping in Turn 5, the sharp left hander. I had a feeling and confirmed it in the pits...it was my darned kickstand. That was pretty much the point where I said I need to get off of the bike.

But the other side of the story is...hey wow...man do the tires stick! My stand is not loose by any means...needless to say...I was dragging my knee when I heard that...very disconcerting. LOL

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did. That is where I am least comfortable. Sometimes it feels like I am waaaay off of the bike...but the pictures tell the true story. I really need to work on the comfort factor. I realized that I wasn't getting off of the bike far enough toward the end of the day when I took a fairly fast lap and heard metal scraping in Turn 5, the sharp left hander. I had a feeling and confirmed it in the pits...it was my darned kickstand. That was pretty much the point where I said I need to get off of the bike.

But the other side of the story is...hey wow...man do the tires stick! My stand is not loose by any means...needless to say...I was dragging my knee when I heard that...very disconcerting. LOL

OK, do you remember what you coach went over when you rode the lean bike? What were the main points he went over on your body position, and getting solid on the bike?

If you recall that, and can put that to use, it's going to help for sure. If not, let me know, I'll remind you :)

C

OK, do you remember what you coach went over when you rode the lean bike? What were the main points he went over on your body position, and getting solid on the bike?

If you recall that, and can put that to use, it's going to help for sure. If not, let me know, I'll remind you :)

C

I remember for the most part. I remember enough, that looking back this weekend, I wasn't doing it!

Thanks for the help and guidance.

Here's a couple of shots from my first track day at Pacific Raceways post camp / school in vegas last month -

The first pic is in a corner that was constantly giving me problems, exiting the second half of a reverse chicane, I'm standing the bike up and getting on the gas, my elbows are down but I think they could be down more and I could be lower on the tank.

281219138_A3smd-L.jpg

This turn has more speed on it and was feeling pretty good most of the day once it warmed up. I think I'm in 4th gear entering the first left hander of a left-right-left combination.

281219683_t3sHS-L.jpg

edit: Yea! I figured out how to post images! :-)

thx,

Marty

[

I remember for the most part. I remember enough, that looking back this weekend, I wasn't doing it!

Thanks for the help and guidance.

Grease,

Remember how the coach showed you to lock on, and the minus of being too close or hung off too far? When I reviewed your photos, didn't look like you had the best lock on. Make sense?

C

Yea! I figured it out :-)

OK, can see them. The tanks on the Ducs are not quite the same as the modern Jap bikes, and not as easy to hold on and lock on with that outside leg (like you worked on in the Lean Bike. If you are racing that thing, you might consider some Stomp Grip, or Tech Spec.

C

OK, can see them. The tanks on the Ducs are not quite the same as the modern Jap bikes, and not as easy to hold on and lock on with that outside leg (like you worked on in the Lean Bike. If you are racing that thing, you might consider some Stomp Grip, or Tech Spec.

C

refresh my memory on the high side knee placement please. you tuck the high side knee into the tank as the low side knee comes out. And do you press on the outside toe to drive the knee into the tank? thanks.

272182864hdwwrofu1nl1.th.jpg

This is a typical Pacific Northwest late March Adrenaline Freaks trackday. Gotta love playin in the snow!

Niiiiiice!!!

I've run practice in the snow at Grattan and Loudon a couple of times myself. One time at Grattan, practice was called when it began to stick and we (the WERA officials) spent an hour or so running laps in our vans and cars the next morning in an attempt to clear an inch of snow and ice from the surface. When it became obvious that our efforts were in vain and we wouldn't be able to race our motorcycles, the track clearing effort devolved into an impromptu open class van race. We (Rich Graver, Jim Sublet, myself and others) found it hysterically funny when Evelyn tried to black flag us after about fifty laps and nobody came in. One way or another, we were going racing and nobody was going to stop us! LOL!

Thanks for the snow photo! I'd forgotten how much fun WERA racing can be!

C

refresh my memory on the high side knee placement please. you tuck the high side knee into the tank as the low side knee comes out. And do you press on the outside toe to drive the knee into the tank? thanks.

Hey Martys,

Yep, you got it right. Drive your high side knee into the tank by pressing your toes on the peg for leverage. And, like Cobie said, Stompgrip pads will help you to lock on better.

Going off-topic... that is a beeeautiful Duck you have there! Can you tell us a little more about it, please?

Thanks,

BH

• 3 weeks later...

Second track day since camp, the instincs are starting to come together now.

294137938_yZAXp-L.jpg

while the right knee is not tucked into the tank, it is pushed up against it. looking ahead to the next turn, I think my head is in the right position?

294137338_TEeG5-L.jpg

this one I need to get down on the tank more so my arms will bend, push my chin out over where the mirror should be. this shot was setup for the photographer as the kid on the red bike is my son, so this is a father and son shot.

294138065_ZTK53-L.jpg

next track day is 5/22.

C

Hey Martys,

Yep, you got it right. Drive your high side knee into the tank by pressing your toes on the peg for leverage. And, like Cobie said, Stompgrip pads will help you to lock on better.

Going off-topic... that is a beeeautiful Duck you have there! Can you tell us a little more about it, please?

My bike is a 2006 Ducati Paul Smart 1000 Limited Edition Sports Classic. I've made a few mods for performance and handling vs bling. I replaced the stock steel spoke wheels that require tubes with a set of OEM 999 wheels allowing tubeless tires, had spacers custom fabbed to make the wheels fit, upgrade brakes, lightened flywheel, race cams, Arrow exhaust, upgraded steering damper (Ohlins), upgraded the fork springs and rear shock spring for my weight, suspension tuned by GP Suspension North, PC-III, custom map dyno'd by Ducati Seattle, and a Flexi-Glass race fairing. Currently running Dunlop Qualifiers for the first time and I think I like them. Ran Pilot Power 2CTs up until a month ago. The Dunlops are pretty nice. One more thing that I've noticed makes a nice difference is using tire warmers. The tires are in much better shape at the end of the day then last year without the warmers.

It's not as fast as the superbikes, but it sure is fun for a guy like me.

It's a really sweet ride, Marty. Very classic lines from an era I miss. Thanks for sharing that.

So, is the upside down fork stock, then? Are the upper tubes anodized?

It's a really sweet ride, Marty. Very classic lines from an era I miss. Thanks for sharing that.

So, is the upside down fork stock, then? Are the upper tubes anodized?

yes, the Ohlins R&T forks are standard on the Paul Smart bike.

• 1 month later...

My first Track Day, LOL

IMG_0546.jpg

Something happened at Level 3, Mike Isbill said "keep doing that"

thunderhill6-8134.jpg

Lots of stuff to work on, I think I have trouble relaxing my inside shoulder

thunderhill6-8116-1.jpg

Posting pics? I used photobucket and the img code wrap

How do you post pics? As I have a couple that I would like some feedback on. Thanks for your help.

Check out the BBCode help link in the bottom right corner of the reply/post field.

• 2 months later...
Here are the 2 pictures I got from Mid Ohio this past year on August 7

I took the school as my first (and only so far) track day and I don't regret the decision at all

post-1815-1164260035_thumb.jpg

post-1815-1164260049_thumb.jpg

THAT is what I call "going with the bike"!!! Awesome shot man!

My first Track Day, LOL

IMG_0546.jpg

thunderhill6-8134.jpg

thunderhill6-8116-1.jpg

The ONLY thing I can see that needs work on is your head tilting away from the corner. Point the OUTSIDE shoulder into the turn...see how that affects your vision/body position =D

My first Track Day, LOL

IMG_0546.jpg

thunderhill6-8134.jpg

thunderhill6-8116-1.jpg

those pictures are great, I hope I can get to that level after level 3, I have a question though, you look quite tall, I am 6ft 1 and was wondering about where your right arm is resting in pic 2, it looks like its resting on your knee, I only ask as I seem to have problems with my elbow clashing with my knee mid turn preventing me from leaning my forearm on the tank. Hope that makes sence.

My first Track Day, LOL

IMG_0546.jpg

thunderhill6-8134.jpg

thunderhill6-8116-1.jpg

those pictures are great, I hope I can get to that level after level 3, I have a question though, you look quite tall, I am 6ft 1 and was wondering about where your right arm is resting in pic 2, it looks like its resting on your knee, I only ask as I seem to have problems with my elbow clashing with my knee mid turn preventing me from leaning my forearm on the tank. Hope that makes sence.

Yeah level 3 was so awesome, KC himself adjusting your position on the bike, priceless. The first pic was taken 10/07 at level 1. I am almost 6'4", my elbow rests on my knee, gives my arm a broken look. I cant really get my arm down on the tank on my gixxer. I also ride an f4i with rearsets, the tank is higher somehow, but still, the arm is on the knee. My legs are really long too, brings my knee higher off the ground but also further away from the bike on the inside. I had problems with the elbows at first, do they go inside the knee, outside? But level 3, with the emphasis on locking the outside knee into the tank made the position on top of the knee comfy, and barring some ultra custom set-up on some exotic bike I dont yet own, that's where they'll stay. I know I'll never look like Danni Pedrosa or Josh Galster stylishly dragging a knee, hopefully I look like a tall guy on a small bike going kinda quick. I think the purpose of leaning off is to try to lower the center of gravity of my body as much as possible, I can still do that with some success. Good Luck, level 3 was the best one to me.

Me before ToW

Picture088-1.jpg

I am the number 88 in the lead

Coming to grip with coming on the gas as quickly as possbile

poncho1.jpg

Last Race (last weekend)

DSC_8127.jpg

Decent Result finished second

DSC_0396.jpg

Lap time difference 2 seconds...

DSC_8127.jpg

Man, you live in such a beautiful country. I grew up in Nepal and visited India many times during those 5 years.

I can still remember the noisy streets, the busy people, and the beautiful scenery.. Too bad you have to pay an

arm and a leg to travel all the way from Norway and back. :(

I stayed in Vietnam for about three weeks earlier this year, but it was quite different from what I remember of

Nepal, India, Tibet and Bangladesh back when I was a young boy..

Sorry for being so OT!!! Won't happen again!

Namasté and cheers! :)