Pol Espargaro Talks Elbow Down.

It's the tires. Pol's hit the nail on the head. I was talking with a guy I met last night about his '70 Triumph Bonneville. The bikes of that day had a solid steel bar that was welded to the bottom of the bike for footpegs. I showed him that, even on my EX-650, my pegs collapse up in case I get that far over (which I don't on my EX). I told him about the tire advances and how that's the reason for the progression in leaning. The guys standing around were amazed when I told them they're dragging elbows now-a-days. I also showed them what a friend of mine does (see below) and they about lost it.

It's the tires. Pol's hit the nail on the head. I was talking with a guy I met last night about his '70 Triumph Bonneville. The bikes of that day had a solid steel bar that was welded to the bottom of the bike for footpegs. I showed him that, even on my EX-650, my pegs collapse up in case I get that far over (which I don't on my EX). I told him about the tire advances and how that's the reason for the progression in leaning. The guys standing around were amazed when I told them they're dragging elbows now-a-days. I also showed them what a friend of mine does (see below) and they about lost it.

Im sure the fat tires with the racing compounds help you get (mathematically) closer to the tarmac too... now whos got a degree in engineering for a diagram?

Interesting.

This makes me think a bit about the future. What happens when those tire compounds that are state of the art in MotoGP start making their ways into some of the higher end trackday and race tires? In 10 years will my new Dainese suit have an elbow puck on it because of that?

But back to the present. I have to agree with Yellowduck a bit on this. With the compounds and bikes we have available in the real world getting an "elbow down" is not as important as other things in the grand scheme of things. :)

Nicely made video! But that's still really silly....

For the most part, I agree, but I can't wrap my head around how he doesn't lose balance and go off the track or keep sliding on his head. The brain is doing so much already, and then to change all these other things in tilting the head like this.