Corning And Hip Pain

SJTrance

I have some tightness that is inherent in my Lt hip. I'm a physical therapist and the problem is in my joint anatomy. I've been stretching and doing physical therapy things for myself and it's helping. Still, it hinders my cornering techniques. But now, I'm realizing that I've been cornering incorrectly all these years too.

I'm a chronic inside peg weighter. I think that the reason that I tend to do this is that most of my bikes have very low or lower than stock pegs to manage my hip tightness. As we all know, it's hard to push on the outside peg to get your body over if your pegs are low. Rather, I've been sliding over to the turning side of the bike so that I can get my body over. Also, I think that I've learned to slide my body into a turn so that my chest is facing slightly away from a turn and my weight mostly on my inside peg. I know, all sorts of weird. Hopefully, I'm making some sense here. I have to relearn everything I've been doing for the past 4 years of riding aggressively and on the track.

Another problem that the hip mobility is giving me is to grab my tank on hard braking because my hips don't want to come in tight enough to grip the tank. The problem is exaggerated as I have been riding Ducati's for a long time and they have narrow tanks.

Does anyone else have issues with hip mobility and if so, how are you guys moving around this problem? Here are a few pictures of me in a turn:

EBA44B47-5131-4B3D-81CD-DA0173C0D56F_zps

FFD61DDF-5EC7-460F-8A27-3367E0F0798F_zps

738CE58C-B234-4552-B892-7DB80CA98CA0_zps

This pic was from my very first track day.

3BF4445A-DFAB-4EF2-8224-042F502CAAA2-107

You aren't the only one with issues. I myself have general flexibility issues that prevents me from really moving around on the bike in the way I really want to. I'm doing stretching exercises that have helped a lot. One of the things I found really helpful was during my Level 4 class last year. One of the coaches picked up on my flexibility problems and took some time to work with me on a bike on a stand in the paddock. It helped me a lot. I still struggle with flexibility but it's not been slowing me down. I'm still making improvements and I'm still having lots of fun.

One of the things I noticed about your photos is the position of your head and upper body. It looks like you are adapting to your limitations already in your riding without even realizing it. The head is the heaviest single part of the human body and it's way up high giving you lots of leverage. Your head and upper body are well positioned in those photos. The only suggestion I would have is to extend your elbow a bit to give you even more ability to lower your head and stick it out. The lower and farther off the center line of the bike the more weight you shift. That's really all there is to body position. Shifting the weight to use less lean angle. That gives you more ground clearance and gets you onto the more stable part of the tire so you can go faster.

While the textbook example of body position is great to have more important than that is a body position that works for you. We all bring different issues to the table with us and those textbook examples don't take those into account. Being comfortable and confident is the most important aspect of anything when you ride.

Hey wait....that is a Ducati SSie! That is a very cool track bike...

I race against an SS1000 all season, and my bike has the same motor.

Do you still have that machine or are you just on the Ape now?

In the pictures you posted there are a number of good things going on:

--your body and weight are on the inside

--your shoulders are not counter-rotated away from the turn (as you describe doing), they are square to the front

--your left arm appears relaxed and isn't stiff-arming the bar. This is better in the top 3 photos and not quite as good in the track day photo.

The pics are from a left turn. If the problem is primarily with flexion/adduction at your left hip, I'd expect to see the riding results more on right hand turns, as you'd have difficulty locking on your left (outside) leg to the tank. Do you know if this is the case?

If you come to level 2 of the school, the lean bike is used to take a closer look at your riding position and work within your physical limits to find a position that works better for you.

If the braking remains a problem w/ adduction, I'd suggest using tank pads on the Duc to widen out the rear of the tank to the point where you can grip effectively. Also, stompgrip is a great addition.

• 2 months later...

Yellow Duck, I have had 4 different 900SS bikes (carb and fuel injection) over the years. I don't have that bike anymore and don't have the Ape either. I have a Ducati Streetfighter S now which is WAAAY more friendly to the hip.

Briang, some good advice and points. I really need to get some tech spec pads. I've had some sort of tank grip on both of my last bikes. The Streetfighter doesn't get my knee even close to the tank with the stock pegs but I recently just got some adjustable rearsets that will get me closer.

I've noticed something else about my own riding that may change things. I find that a lot of my weight has alwasy been on the inside peg but being leaned over, it's hard not to weight the peg just due to my size. I realize that I'm looking at a lot of pictures of other riders and their foot is on the outside of the peg and not locked on top of the peg. I tried a few corners like that and my hip felt much better. I can now understand why people need toe sliders. lol. What do you guys thing about that?

Kind of like this:

screenshot_small.jpg

LP4D0096.jpg

I don't have photos to show it, but I ride like that at least on my left side. It's gnawing a hole in the sole of the boot!

Hey SJTrance, Imma kind of be short with my post here.

Your fundamental issue is getting a good lock on the bike with your lower body.

I have some questions for you to help you along the way though...

1. Do you hang off to much

2. When you feel hip pain, do you also feel tightness in your arms/shoulders

3. Do the balls of your feet hurt

While hanging off is a good thing, it's fundamentally different for each rider as we all are not cast from the same mold. Please take some time and experiment with riding positions that compliment your abilities and physical characteristics to best serve you in keeping the bike stable. When you break it down the raw fundamentals, too much localize feedback from the bike in one location is a negative thing (inside peg weigher). Spread your weight evenly over the bike so you can tell what is going on traction wise "all over/everywhere", vs. just what the peg is telling you. There is sooooooo much more to read.

:)

aka... don't hang off to much.

ps, I like your pics. Much positive things there.