Gloves

This forum really came through when I asked about touring boots. I ended up with quality boots that I had never heard of despite multiple variations of Google searches.

So............ I would appreciate the forum's experience and input on gloves. I will use them for touring, but PROTECTION is uppermost for this old guy who depends upon his hands to make a living, a race glove is a definite possibility. My Priorities are: 1) Protection / amour 2) comfort 3) water proof (which Ivery much doubt I will find) and 5) Price

After 42 years it's good to be back on a bike. The Level 1 at VIR moved the comfort needle way up. Now, on the twisties, I don't have to pull over for GrandMothers in MiniVans. Yipee, Yahoo, Oh Boy

Thanking everyone in advance, Slow Rabbit

This forum really came through when I asked about touring boots. I ended up with quality boots that I had never heard of despite multiple variations of Google searches.

So............ I would appreciate the forum's experience and input on gloves. I will use them for touring, but PROTECTION is uppermost for this old guy who depends upon his hands to make a living, a race glove is a definite possibility. My Priorities are: 1) Protection / amour 2) comfort 3) water proof (which Ivery much doubt I will find) and 5) Price

After 42 years it's good to be back on a bike. The Level 1 at VIR moved the comfort needle way up. Now, on the twisties, I don't have to pull over for GrandMothers in MiniVans. Yipee, Yahoo, Oh Boy

Thanking everyone in advance, Slow Rabbit

Best way is to try em out at a big store that sells those stuff.

I will suggest Held USA (http://stores.heldnorthamerica.com/StoreFront.bok). I have not worn them, but have seen/heard nothing but good comments about them. I did look at/try on the Titan last year at the Held booth at Barber and it is very impressive.

Hey Rabbit,

I wear Rev'It gloves (Jerez until it gets cold/wet then Kelvins) because they fit my hands. I have a wide hand and wear a size 10 but apparently my fingers are a bit shorter than most 10s. The AStars XLs weren't wide enough and the XXL's were too long, the Held size 10s were closer but the fingers were still too long and the palms were a bit wide but the size 9s were too small all the way around.

The Jerez were very tight until they brok in and now they are like a second skin. The Kelvins are the warmest gloves I have worn but the insulation/weatherproofing does get between you and the feel of the controls. I am picky about gloves as anything that gets in the way of the feel is problematic. That is why I recommend two pairs, one for fair weather (with no isulation or waterproofing to get in the way of feel) and one for foul weather where feel will depend on having warm and dry digits. Two pairs of quality gloves is a significant investment, but find it worth the extra coin.

Just my 2 bits. Please post up on what you end up buying and why.

Best,

Carey

Hey Rabbit,

I'm new around here, but for what it's worth I have 3 pairs of gloves. Two pairs of AStars - 1 pair of GP-X that's perforated, vented, and without gauntlets (for commuting and really hot days down here in GA) and 1 pair of SP-2 with gauntlets for when I'm either heading up to the twisties (or even hitting the track - now that I've taken level 1 I hope to continue taking higher level classes and working in a few track days) and 1 pair of JoeRocket gloves with insulation for bad weather (they even have wiper blades on the back of the thumbs).

Like Carey, I have a hard time finding gloves that fit me really well but it's because my fingers are long. I have found that the AStars (although very tight at first) break in after a couple of weeks and feel like a second skin. I try them on and whichever size feels perfect in the store, I go 1 size smaller (after making sure I can get my hand in without cutting off circulation or being excesively uncomfortable). The reason being, inevitably they're going to get rained on, hot, and stretch which makes the size that seemed to fit me perfectly in the store when brand new feel clunky and too big once they break in (this happened with the 1st pair of riding gloves that I ever purchased - Teknic Violators I believe - that I wound up giving to a riding buddy). I prefer to feel like I'm not wearing any gloves. The last pair that I purchased were a bit uncomfortable on my fingertips for about 2 weeks, but since breaking them in they are great.

Thanks,

Prince

You can pick up about 100 waterproof gloves at your local Auto-parts store for 15-20$, I've yet to find a "Waterproof" glove that actually lives up to its name, but slip on a pair of Nitrile/latex gloves under any pair of gloves and your hands will only be damp from your own sweat, they are also fantastic if you head out with your summer gloves on and find its just a touch too cold for your gloves choice.

As for actual motorcycle gloves, I really like Icon's I had a pair of Merc Long's forever, took about 4 years to wear through the leather on my throttle palm, I don't think they make them anymore but you can find leftover's on Ebay or some discount sites. I'm currently using the Icon Overlord Long for my track gloves and they held up quite nicely after a little face time with turn 3 this Saturday so I'd give them a big Thumbs Up in my book

...a little face time with turn 3 this Saturday...

That does not sound like fun T. I hope there was no major damage (to you or your steed).

And the nitrile/latex gloves definitely work (great wind stopper) and it's easy to keep a pair or two in the tank bag.

For protection my best recommendations are Held Titan gloves. Held phantoms are nice one step down but Titans are awesome. for slightly shorter cuff if you don't want the full gauntlet, the Heroic Racing SPR-Pro Short is an excellent glove at the price they are charging ($160 instead of $300 for the full gauntlet). It's like a 1/4 gauntlet (not even half), so some wrist protection, but you get the full stingray sliders, etc. The Spidi Carbo Track is also pretty nice.

If you want waterproof, the protection drops off significantly from the race gloves. The Held warm 'n' dry are warm and waterproof. I've worn them 3+ hours in pouring rain without anything getting in them. I'm sure Rukka makes some waterproof gloves as well since they specialize in weather/water proofing.

Leather gloves, for me, are the great waterproof gloves.

Mens River Road Cheyenne Cold Weather Leather Gloves

They are tear resistant so you can be sure of the protection and it also has armors around the palm for a perfect fit and comfort.

My father has this kind of gloves that he has been using for more than a year now and he really feels comfortable wearing it. :rolleyes:

My fantasy is to have a top brand of protection, but custom fit...wonder if anyone does that for regular punters?

CF

My fantasy is to have a top brand of protection, but custom fit...wonder if anyone does that for regular punters?

CF

Z Custom in Huntington Beach will make custom gloves for you. However, I've asked him about modifying production off-the-shelf gloves (most production gloves have fingers that are way too long for my small hands), he says that is very difficult. You have to turn them inside out to get to the stitching, and I think all the molded plastic parts are added after the fact making it very hard to reverse the glove.

What would you change about your current gloves, if you could get them customized?

CF

Cobie = what size glove (or I should say - what size hands you have) do you wear that you would need custom ? Do you have brutish hands with no fingers ? :)

My job requires that I wear gloves, almost every day. There is nothing like a good fitting and long lasting glove. I get real pissed when I put on a pair of cheap gloves and rip the cuff off while putting them on :angry:

I myself like and use the Held brand gloves. Present every day glove is the Phantom. I would have bought the Titan but it wasn't released and not on the market at the time. As a back up when my phantom's need a bath is an inexpensive pair of Dainese gloves with a short gauntlet. Cool to colder weather I use a pair of Held "Steve" gloves ( soft protection only, no hard parts) with Held inserts, I don't remember the type. The guys at Held USA recommended the inserts. For frosty cheek riding at present I'm using a pair of BMW Motorrad " boxing gloves". Not great, it's a toss up on what get cold first, feet or hands. None of the gloves I have mentioned are water proof. I need better COLD weather gloves. One of my best friends wears Held "warm and dry" in the winter "frosty bottom" with no problems. He is riding a BMW 1200 GS with hand guards and heated grips too!

BTW I haven't had to stress test any of them, yet.

You have received some ideas of what some of us wear. Personally I would try on as many as you can, make a list of what fits and feels right then look at what is said about the gloves of choice. Read as many reviews, from users, as you can on your choices and decide from there.

Good luck

ps. Cobie I agree with you about custom fit gloves. Boots would be nice too.

• 2 years later...