Newbie's Guide To Surviving The Cornering Forum

css

Hello Staff,

It was great talking to Mr. Code at the Long Bch M/C Show. After reading forums for the last few years, I never felt like being a member of one.

So when the Superbike e-mail came and the tire info was so spot on and discussed in a adult manor, I pulled the trigger on my 1st forum...

Thank You for the treasure of information.

Hello Staff,

It was great talking to Mr. Code at the Long Bch M/C Show. After reading forums for the last few years, I never felt like being a member of one.

So when the Superbike e-mail came and the tire info was so spot on and discussed in a adult manor, I pulled the trigger on my 1st forum...

Thank You for the treasure of information.

1A,

Glad you are here and up and posting!

best,

CF

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

My names Andy

I've been hanging around since Sept last year. But never said Hello until now.

I live in The Black Country (West Mids) in good old blighty. I ride an 07 ZX6r - Green of course, passed my test in early 2005.

I have done level 1 & 2 both at Stowe last year May/Sept. Yellow 11 & 18.

I'm hoping to do more levels this year, but also want/need to put new skills into practice on track. Learn more about my bike and more importantly where i am now.

I have done 3 track days. 1st in 2009 at Donnington rolleyes.gif (the start of something great). 2nd in 2010 at Rockingham sad.gif (hated the place, rear puncture didn't help. Total lack of confidence)

Then my mind & eyes were ph34r.gif opened at the School. Level 1 in the Bag.

3rd in Sept at Anglesey biggrin.gif (Bloody Fantastic) putting L1 into practice. Damp start soon dried out, nice to chat with like minded people about having lots of fun on track.

Then Level 2, rolleyes.gif another great day. didn't quite get the pick up drill, but wide vison opens up so many doors.

Hopefully many many more GREAT days to come.

Hi all,

My names Andy

I've been hanging around since Sept last year. But never said Hello until now.

I live in The Black Country (West Mids) in good old blighty. I ride an 07 ZX6r - Green of course, passed my test in early 2005.

I have done level 1 & 2 both at Stowe last year May/Sept. Yellow 11 & 18.

I'm hoping to do more levels this year, but also want/need to put new skills into practice on track. Learn more about my bike and more importantly where i am now.

I have done 3 track days. 1st in 2009 at Donnington rolleyes.gif (the start of something great). 2nd in 2010 at Rockingham sad.gif (hated the place, rear puncture didn't help. Total lack of confidence)

Then my mind & eyes were ph34r.gif opened at the School. Level 1 in the Bag.

3rd in Sept at Anglesey biggrin.gif (Bloody Fantastic) putting L1 into practice. Damp start soon dried out, nice to chat with like minded people about having lots of fun on track.

Then Level 2, rolleyes.gif another great day. didn't quite get the pick up drill, but wide vison opens up so many doors.

Hopefully many many more GREAT days to come.

Hi Andy

Thanks for contributing and sharing your recent experience.

What plans do you have for 2011? More track days? I agree Angelsey is a great circuit, very good indeed.

let us all know, and feel free to join in general banter or threads, as all levels of understanding and experience are good to share as many will be exactly where you are in that journey!

Bullet

Hi Andy

What plans do you have for 2011? More track days? I agree Angelsey is a great circuit, very good indeed.

let us all know, and feel free to join in general banter or threads, as all levels of understanding and experience are good to share as many will be exactly where you are in that journey!

Bullet

HI Bullet,

Would love to do level 3 & 4 this year, which circuit would be best, Stowe/South or National?

Both previous levels taken on Stowe, nice short circuit with lots of chances to try different lines in the same corner each session. I may have answered the above question.rolleyes.gif

My better half is thinking about doing L1 this year, if she can pluck up the courage.......unsure.gif

Other plans for 2011, I would like to do 12 track days Cadwell/Donnington/Snetterton/Mallory & Anglesey. But the better half and the bank manager wont let me. I can but dream..

Might manage 4 or 5 this year.

Andy

Hi Andy

Bullet

HI Bullet,

Would love to do level 3 & 4 this year, which circuit would be best, Stowe/South or National?

Both previous levels taken on Stowe, nice short circuit with lots of chances to try different lines in the same corner each session. I may have answered the above question.rolleyes.gif

My better half is thinking about doing L1 this year, if she can pluck up the courage.......unsure.gif

Other plans for 2011, I would like to do 12 track days Cadwell/Donnington/Snetterton/Mallory & Anglesey. But the better half and the bank manager wont let me. I can but dream..

Might manage 4 or 5 this year.

Andy

What kind of corners do you most struggle with? Slow/medium/fast? All of the Silverstone circuits have different strengths really, stowe best for slower, tricker stuff, national has a couple of very fast bends and is fast, south is super quick and has a mix of some slow and some very fast. Horses for courses really.

As for you "bank manager", she'd be very welcome and really we don't get enough women come to the school which is a shame as they make great students. We normally make massive strides as confidence is often low, but we empower them to just relax and enjoy themselves and realise they can be every bit as good as the guys.

Get her to come on the forum and stick up a couple of posts, we have a few regular ladies on the forum who love riding and would be more than happy to remove the myths I'm sure.

Of your circuit choices for trackdays, I'd skip Snetterton and Mallory if funds are tight as niether are the last word in excitement compared to something exceptional like Cadwell, Donnington, Outlon, Brands GP, Silverstone Arena or Angelsey. ;)

Look forward to hearing what you decide.

Bullet

What kind of corners do you most struggle with? Slow/medium/fast? All of the Silverstone circuits have different strengths really, stowe best for slower, tricker stuff, national has a couple of very fast bends and is fast, south is super quick and has a mix of some slow and some very fast. Horses for courses really.

As for you "bank manager", she'd be very welcome and really we don't get enough women come to the school which is a shame as they make great students. We normally make massive strides as confidence is often low, but we empower them to just relax and enjoy themselves and realise they can be every bit as good as the guys.

Get her to come on the forum and stick up a couple of posts, we have a few regular ladies on the forum who love riding and would be more than happy to remove the myths I'm sure.

Of your circuit choices for trackdays, I'd skip Snetterton and Mallory if funds are tight as niether are the last word in excitement compared to something exceptional like Cadwell, Donnington, Outlon, Brands GP, Silverstone Arena or Angelsey. wink.gif

Look forward to hearing what you decide.

Bullet

Its hard to say, but feel I struggle most with slow tight hairpin/decreasing radius turns. It usualy feels like i am too slow from a third/half way around to exit, The pickup drill will help with the exit getting on the throttle sooner.

Not sure of medium or fast corners as only limited time on track, at Anglesey International from Church to Rocket all linked up into one long right hand turn. Managing to get into 4th before rolling off for Left hander into Rocket, 5th By end of day.

As for trackdays was looking at mainly weekend/bank holiday dates, which does cut my options and increase cost! but havent enough floating days for more than 1 or 2 weekday outings. So looking for some early dates end of Feb into March.

Andy

PS Nikki says Hi, she might join up soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi my name is Jude (bowells),..I live in Ontario, Canada but want to attend the California Bike school.Do you guys ever do a Canadian session up here somewhere? If not do you endorse any school up in Canada which teach your methods or do i have no choice bot to come on down to Cali...?

Thanks so much ,.. i only have your books and videos to aid me and this forum,. I want the in person experience no doubt..

Hi my name is Jude (bowells),..I live in Ontario, Canada but want to attend the California Bike school.Do you guys ever do a Canadian session up here somewhere? If not do you endorse any school up in Canada which teach your methods or do i have no choice bot to come on down to Cali...?

Thanks so much ,.. i only have your books and videos to aid me and this forum,. I want the in person experience no doubt..

Jude;

The School has not done a Canadian Session that I am aware of but Cobie can chime in and correct me if I am wrong on that point. The closest School that you could "get to" by car/truck from Mississauga would probably be at New Jersey Motorsports Complex in Millville, NJ (about 80K south of Philadelphia). If I remember, you're about even distance between Toronto and Buffalo so it will be a long drive but then almost every good track is a long drive for most of us. If you are going to fly to a School then the world is your oyster. VIR, and Barber are the other two in the eastern half of North America but again if you're flying, then you have Miller in Utah, Las Vegas in, well Las Vegas, The Streets of Willow Springs, Sears Point (my personal favorite) or Laguna.

Rainman

Jude;

The School has not done a Canadian Session that I am aware of but Cobie can chime in and correct me if I am wrong on that point. The closest School that you could "get to" by car/truck from Mississauga would probably be at New Jersey Motorsports Complex in Millville, NJ (about 80K south of Philadelphia). If I remember, you're about even distance between Toronto and Buffalo so it will be a long drive but then almost every good track is a long drive for most of us. If you are going to fly to a School then the world is your oyster. VIR, and Barber are the other two in the eastern half of North America but again if you're flying, then you have Miller in Utah, Las Vegas in, well Las Vegas, The Streets of Willow Springs, Sears Point (my personal favorite) or Laguna.

Rainman

Thank you so much Rain man 4 this info...

Rainman is correct, not done anything in Canada, the problems going across the border killed any serious plans on this.

Come down and enjoy some nice weather, we seem to get quite a few Canadians to Vegas :)--Streets of Willow would be a good bet weather-wise also. Some other tracks are even more fun, like VIR and Barber, or Infineon too.

CF

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Name is Pete from Victoria, Australia.

Been off the bike for a while looking at getting back on again. Looking at a Suzuki GSX-R 750 around the K8 model. Just trying to find the right on for the right price.

Then I can organise a Superbike School lesson and start going to track days. So keen to get back on two wheels!!

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I'm new to this forum so let me quickly introduce myself. I've been driving motorcycles for the last 18 years and have racked up a few 100K kms on the road. Been to the track for the first time about a year and a half ago and I can only wish I did this way earlier in life.

I currently have an old CBR600F for track use and a K1300S for the road and I just can't learn enough about riding techniques. Applying them all by yourself is a bit tougher and for that I would like to do all the CSS levels soon.

Cheers,

jan

Welcome. I got REAL far behind the power-curve because I didn't have anyone to help or talk to. That's how I found this site and the school. Make friends at the track. You'll find plenty of people willing to help you. Practice in parking lots. The video, TOTW 2, is helpful because you can see what they're talking about. Learn what you can in the book and after a trackday, re-read it. You'll find so many new things. It's crazy. The school is great.

• 3 months later...

hello everyone, I'm Vipin Rathor from India. I'm 29, attended CSS level-1/2/3 this year in Jan. when CSS came down to MMSC track, Chennai. Didn't get any chance to hit the track since then as it is good 15 hrs. ride from my place. I got introduced to track riding via CSS & would love to do some more track days. Not much into racing but I love to learn the art of racing & fast riding. A big thanks to Andy for being my coach on important Level 1. Planning to attend the CSS again in Jan'2012. See you there!

New to the forum. Just completed levels I & II at Thunderbolt in NJ. Great time. Looking forward to taking levels III & IV. Great group, not only the staff, but the students as well...even though they kept passing me.

Traded in my Ducati 05 620 two months ago and enjoying my new BMW 11 S1000RR.

In Eastern PA and ridden out to State College (Go Penn State!), Ocean City, MD, and NYC.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone. I'm from Malaysia and would like to learn more about sportbiking..

I'm riding S1000RR at the moment, just started sportbiking early this year.

Hi Leesh, and welcome!

Nice bike :)

Cobie

• 2 months later...

Hi I'm Lloyd from Melbourne Australia and have been ridingsportsbikes for 40 yrs. Have enrolled for Lvl 1 Philip Island in January withsome of my mates. Which will actually be my first day riding on a track aswell. We have great motorcycle roads in Victoria but the police are taking avery hard line on speed,noise and just about anything that will get motorcycles off the road. So I've decided to start track riding so I can gofast and still keep my licence. Have spent the last few days reading posts, and you seem like a great bunch.

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone!

My name is Ismaic, i'm from Brazil but now I'm living in USA.

I already did posted here in other topic but now I can make my presentation.

I came to USA because I have a daughter with cancer, leukemia, and she is in treatment on St. Jude, in Memphis,TN.

She is almost 3 years old, and thanks God she is going very well.

My wife is american citizen and since we got married we always made plans to come live here, and now we are finally here starting a new life.

I already attended some riding class in Brazil, and I did some track days too. I love motorcycles and in special race bikes.

I intend to learn everything about riding techniques and certainly in the CSS is the best place.

Thank you!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...