Question On Lap Timers

I signed up for having lap times recorded at an event to run later this spring costing $20 each day. Because I have my own lap timer am I paying for something unnecessarily? Or, are there some additional benefits from using the School's lap timing program?

Thanks,

Steve

No additional benefits that I'm aware of. But they give you the times at the end of the day so you are not constantly trying to beat your best time. In fact, I had a timer on my bike and the coach told me if he found I was paying more attention to it vs. the lessons he'd have me remove it. I ended up just removing it after that session because in the end, it's better to not focus on that if you have other things to work on.

Can you call them to check compatibility between your lap time and their beacon? Normally they are compatible and will trigger your timer but I have ran into a few where they were not. Not sure what timer you have but many of the app based (cell phone) lap timers are somewhat inaccurate due to GPS update frequency.

The last time I did the school at Barber on my personal bike they used an RFID type sticker that went on the front of the bike. In this photo the RFID sticker is below the number on the headlight on the Motorsport Colored Double R.

IMG_0419.JPG

Lap timers typically operate on a infrared beacon. That beacon has to be active at the track. Most of the time trackday orgs setup their own lap timer beacons. If there's no beacon the lap timer won't operate.

Like RChase said the school uses a RFID system for their lap times and it is HIGHLY unlikely you have hardware that is compatible with it.

However you will find that your lap times will be mostly irrelevant while at CSS, for one your riding at a conservative pace to focus on drills and practicing techniques, not trying to put down fast laps, and secondly since the school groups riders by the level they are taking and not by lap times like a normal track day, you will find the pace of the other students on track is very broad and further complicates any attempt to set a personal best lap time. As long as you can retrieve 5 sessions of lap times from your lap timer at the end of they day, your paying for information you'll already have.

Tyler

Good point T-McKeen. Lap times won't be the same due to the nature of the school and the drills. Some of the drills complicate passing a bit because of students trying alternate lines.

I used my lap time data from the school to see a constant improvement. Each session I was getting faster. Even though I was starting to get tired and thought I was taking it easy. :)