Michelin Power Cup Tires

I want to buy a set of Michelin Power Cup, what do you think?

anyone tried these tires before?

I want to use 70% in street mode 30% track

tnx

bike : suzuki gsx-r 1000'2005

post-23439-0-32914600-1335597436_thumb.jpg

that 70%-30% is a sales pitch. Buy what you want. But keep in mind the majority of racers at the track use the Dunlop's.

You can use the DOT race tire on the street without issues. I do it all the time, just got back from a ride and my Dunlop D211GPA-s stuck like glue. Even when cold starting out they are fine.

Welcome to the forum!

If I may ask, since you are 70%-30% street to track wouldn't you want to consider the a tire like the Power Pures that are designed to be between the 2ct street tire and the track tire? Not judging, just curious. Personally I would be concerned that a race tire wouldn't heat cycle properly in day to day street riding but thats something I would defer to the experts on.

Does anyone else ride DOT race tires as their primary tire on their street bike?

Welcome to the forum!

If I may ask, since you are 70%-30% street to track wouldn't you want to consider the a tire like the Power Pures that are designed to be between the 2ct street tire and the track tire? Not judging, just curious. Personally I would be concerned that a race tire wouldn't heat cycle properly in day to day street riding but thats something I would defer to the experts on.

Does anyone else ride DOT race tires as their primary tire on their street bike?

I used to, partly because I liked the profile (more triangular) and didn't mind it feeling a little less stable in a straight line.

In the end I realize I was just fooling myself, never got them near operating temp, the street based tire is a way better overall option. Don't know those Michelins, so my comparison would be the Dunlop Q2. Way better all round tire (street/track) than a DOT race tire.

CF

Personally I have had good luck with both the Dunlop Q2s and the Michelin Power Pures. The Pures seem to turn in slightly quicker on my bike, that may be the 2 lbs of unsprung weigth they are supposed to save you, or it could be all in my head :D. Both seem to heat up quickly and I have gotten about the same wear out of both.

Let us know what you go with and how you end up liking them.

I've tried a bunch of different tires over the years; the latest instalment is the Sportsmart, which I have been very impressed with. Enough grip to get a knee down without any indication of traction problems on the first lap out of the pits. All in an Early May in Sweden, and without tire warmers.

Kai

post-23439-0-56173600-1336052810_thumb.jpg right now I have the bike brand new DUNLOP D208RR are very pleased with them (I bought a bike with these tires), go with a pressure of 2.1 front /1.9 rear , I just wanted to try a version of soft rubber / mediums, but do not exclude the option to go all season on these tires,I was on a long trip on the road turns, and have done excellent job

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading about these Michelin Power Cup Tires, and I'm very interested in trying them out. They are DOT Race tires so I wouldn't use them on the street until they're no longer good for the track (my guess is 4 track days), then I'd finish them of on the street. For 70% Street / 30% Track I'd go with the Power Pures or Power One 2ct if you like Michelin.

I think because of the incredible success that Dunlop has brought to racing and street tires, many manufacturers have upped their game in order to get a piece of the pie. The Michelin Power Cup was recommended to me by a friend who loves them. I feel comfortable on Dunlop tires so I'm not switching. Until someone can prove to me that the Michelin's will cut time off my laps, I'm not switching.

As Cobie points out, the Dunlop Q2's are a very good street/track tire. I did a CSS at Laguna Seca in 2009, I think. It was 49 degrees with 50 mph wind gusts...no tire warmers on Q2's. I had a blast. I'm sure Cobie remembers. I have video on Vimeo.

I will be control riding this weekend for a track organization at NOLA Motorsport Park in New Orleans. I'm not looking to set any record pace In "B" or "I" group so I will be using a set of medium compound bridgestone's. My point is that there are several brands that will work just fine for the kind of riding you want to do. Buy something and try them out, They will work perfectly, I'm sure.

I think because of the incredible success that Dunlop has brought to racing and street tires, many manufacturers have upped their game in order to get a piece of the pie. The Michelin Power Cup was recommended to me by a friend who loves them. I feel comfortable on Dunlop tires so I'm not switching. Until someone can prove to me that the Michelin's will cut time off my laps, I'm not switching.

As Cobie points out, the Dunlop Q2's are a very good street/track tire. I did a CSS at Laguna Seca in 2009, I think. It was 49 degrees with 50 mph wind gusts...no tire warmers on Q2's. I had a blast. I'm sure Cobie remembers. I have video on Vimeo.

Fossil;

I couldn't agree with you more. I became a Dunlop guy when another brand let me go without any warning exiting a turn. Since then I have stayed with the GP-A's from the 208 to the current Ntech 211's and can't imagine any reason to switch. I also became a hugh believer in the Q's at Laguna ( the season before you were there) and put them on my street bike. I would have no hesitation putting them on my track bike especially if the conditions were cool or wet.

My avitar is from the main straight at Laguna in the rain on Q's.

Rainman

• 1 month later...
  • Tire pressure: Consult your owners manual for a base pressure setting.
  • The correct pressure depends on the weight of the bike combined with your weight.
  • A tire cannot function properly if the profile is deformed due to either over-inflation or under-inflation.
  • If you weigh 100 lbs, then you should probably reduce the pressure in both tires.
  • If you weigh 300 lbs, you are going to have to increase the pressure to compensate.
  • The weight distribution of a sport bike is pretty much 50/50, yet most manufacturers call for slightly more tire pressure in the rear than the front. Why is this? Because a modern sport-bike spends an inordinate amount of time transferring weight AND torque to the rear wheel, which must therefore carry a heavier load than the front. A rear-engine Porsche needs far more pressure in the rear tires for the same reason, it has truly f-ed up weight distribution.
  • How much do you weigh?

BTW 1.9 BAR rear seems too low...again depending on your weight.

• 1 Bar =14.50 psi

• 1.9 Bar = 27.55 Psi - way too low for the rear tire -
  • check your owners manual
  • there may be a sticker on your bike.
  • Beware: The max tire pressure indicated on the tire is for mounting purposes only, and has nothing to do with the operating pressure.

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of an old thread, but I can add a couple of points...

I have done something like this for a little while (a few years or so). My street bike is my track bike, so it was a hassle to keep changing tyres depending on track or road use. The first set of tires I did a lot of road riding on were Bridgestone 002. I really liked the tall, triangular profile on the street, but after maybe 1,000km of highway riding they were really chewed out on the centre (this bike was a GSX-R600). That was the only time I did a big trip on that kind of sport tire. They're not cheap, and it's just not worth it for me. For a long time I did keep my track tires on the bike, but then i was only commuting into the city, about 20km each direction. That's not really much, didn't affect the tires drastically. But I try not to do that now because of risk of punctures! At one stage I got 3 rear punctures in about 3 months! Sure I got them plugged, but then they were only good for street riding anyway.

The Pures seem to turn in slightly quicker on my bike, that may be the 2 lbs of unsprung weigth they are supposed to save you, or it could be all in my head :D.

I will back this up! Very noticeable difference the first set of Power Pures I had fitted. I rode my bike to the shop on a set of Power Road 2's, rode out with the Power Pure's and really felt the decreased tire weight. The seat 'o the pants dyno never lies, right?! tongue.gif