Touring Boots

Old guy getting back on a bike after 42 years and soon to be at level 1 and 2 classes needs help picking out touring boots.

Priorities:

protection / armour

waterproof

fit, comfort walking / wearing all day

visual appearence for the street, less noticeable is better

price

Your experience and comments appreciated. Thanks, Slow Rabbit

Old guy getting back on a bike after 42 years and soon to be at level 1 and 2 classes needs help picking out touring boots.

Priorities:

protection / armour

waterproof

price

Hi SR,

I'll be interested to hear what we might get on this. Don't tour much, so no informed opinion on what's currently available. The coach boots are the A-stars Super Tech I think, fully vented with inner boots. Mine are very comfortable, not supper flash, but not the best for adverse weather. Here is a link to their touring boots, no firsthand info on them: http://www.alpinestars.com/shop/categories/moto/footwear/touringroad-riding/

CF

In Europe/Scandinavia, Daytona RoadStar GoreTex is used by many riders. I've found them to be very comfortable for both riding and walking around. Plus, they are warm and waterproof :-)

Edit: link http://www.daytona.de/english/boots_e/gore.html

Kai

I had a low speed off in touring boots (about 25mph, SUV changing lanes without looking) and couldn't walk for a few days after due to the pain in my ankles (all good now). Now I wear Alpinestars SMX plus for the ankle support. Suggest you make sure whatever you buy has decent ankle support.

Hello, Old Guy:

I'm another Old Guy. I think motorcycle boots should look like they looked when I first started to ride. Sooo, I'm saving my pennies for some nice Bates Custom Leather boots.

http://www.batesleathers.com/images/boots/fastlane.jpg

Of course, my preferred boots for actually touring are any light-weight over-the-ankle hiking boot. Even in my Gold Wing, I don't have room for two pairs of shoes, so my touring boots have to be supportive, protective and comfortable to walk in. If I can't walk around at my destination, I ain't a-wearing 'em!

I'd go with Richard on this. There really are some good boots out there these days. While I like old school look in some things (Mustangs for instance), boots that can do more to protect would be a valuable investment.

How much protection do you want ? That is the real question. Most of the really good touring boots have good protection but not great ankle support (then again, a lot of the race boots don't have great ankle support either). . . If you want a good touring boot, I would definitely look at the Daytona Road stars GTX as a good option that is fairly widely available. I personally have the Vendramini Marathon Steels which have what I consider to be very good support. Both are waterproof and comfortable to wear all day. . . Some of the race boots can also be comfortable and provide excellent protection (The dainese Axial pro's are amazingly comfortable). The big downsides to race boots for touring are two fold - A) they are stiff and generally /very/ uncomfortable to walk around in (especially the ones with a forward cant), and B) they generally aren't waterproof. . .

Daytona Road Stars/transOpen GTX are excellent boots. If you want waterproof, you have to get the GTX version of each boot. Very very comfortable and good for all day walking. A step up in protection would be the Vendramini Marathon Steel - waterproof, better ankle support (steel bars interlaced in there to prevent twisting) and good for all day walking. You only get better protection when you get to the true race boots. The problem with the race boots is that they a) aren't comfortable to walk around in and B) most aren't water proof.

Thanks for the input. I had never heard about Daytona until Kai mentioned them. There is one dealer in USA.

https://shop.helimot.com/shopping/default.asp. From what I read from researching the net, Dayhton's are indeed a top line boot although for some reason, do not appear to be well known in the US I considered Alpinestars, Dianese, and Sidi as well. Pretty much had it narrowed down to the two boots that anthem mentioned. Daytona Road Stars GTX or transOpen GTX. But I'm having to remind myself that protection is at the top of my priorities and price at the bottom.

Of couse every boot maker has different sizing and width. A size 12 between different manufacturers varies alot. We will see how it turns out.

Crash - the Bates are good looking boots, but I"m not as invincible as I once was, got to go with the protection as best I can.

Im still listening. Thanks again, Slow Rabbit

Vendramini has two US distributors. Daytona just one (helimot - who are excellent to deal with). Both are pretty much a step above anything from Sidi/Dainese/A* has to offer in terms of touring. . . I own several in both. Both give you pretty decent protection but not lateral ankle protection. I don't believe any touring boot will give you twisting/lateral ankle protection until you go to a race boot. And as I mentioned earlier, race boots have other issues (namely walking comfort). Vendramini size 44 equates to an US 11. Daytona 44 is just a hair tighter and about a 10.5. Not your size but at least a reference.

I will preface that to say that the Dainese Axial Pro's (Dainese race boot) which have almost as good protection as the Daytona Security Evo's, is one of the most comfortable boots I've worn and it has carbon fiber innner sole in it. The only drawback is that its sole is more a racing sole and for a touring boot, you would prefer more a boot with tread to talk around with. It's also not waterproof. Thats the only shoe I own outside of Daytona and Vendramini. I try to wear the most protection that I can get away with.

Good luck with your choice.

• 3 weeks later...

Priorities:

protection / armour

waterproof

price

Here is a report back on my the boot search.

the 3 boots I seriously considered were

Daytona Road Stars GTX and Daytona TransOpen GTX www.helmit.com Vendramini Marathon Steel www.bikerworldusa.com

since the Dainese Axial Pro's (Dainese race boot) were not waterproof, I didn't look at them.

All the boots seemed top of the line from reading about them. I finally went with the Marathon Steel. I wear 11 1/2 or 12 depending on the shoe brand, initially went with Euro size 46 which was too small. a size 47 fit perfect with a medium weight sock. By the way, the service at bikerworldusa was outstanding. A small shop where the owner is likely to answer the phone. .

I love the boots. Virtually no break in time and comfortable. I spent 10 hours in them the second tiime I had them on. Great sole for grip / traction. We will see about the water in time. I'm hopeful. A little effort required to put on and a bit warm in summer which which I happily pay for the protection and comfort. Thanks to everyone who contributed information, especially Anthem. The Dayton's and Vendramini's just did not come up on my initial internet searches. I don't think I would have found them without this forum. Slow Rabbit