More On Rear Brake Use

Scott Redding after today's race

I was feeling good, but then I had a problem with the rear brake three laps in and that forced me off track. After that the bike was difficult to ride, especially through the faster turns where I use the rear brake to keep the rear tyre on the track.

I know quite a few riders that frequently use the rear brake as described even during road riding; lowering the bike for better braking performance by applying it moments before the rear brake, controlling wheelies and tightening their lines in a corner. For me, it is far easier to use the rear brake as an aid than to perform clutchless downshifts, for instance. In other words, you can use the rear brake without being at the ragged edge.

If you go and read up on why Honda patented the C-ABS and the workings behind it , you'll know why...

Its better imho for the computer to help out when you are mentally and skillfully out of the 10 dollars worth of attention.

Thats where TC/ C-ABS comes in, its technically 2 sides of the same coin (controlled acceleration / deceleration slip rate/ratio)

rear brake use imho is a strategic decision that in most production bikes , are next to useless in terms of modulation and linearity unless modified extensively. There are exceptions to this thou in very hi end production racers with TC/C-ABS and mopeds that have the rear brake lever on where the clutch lever used to be... you are in luck if you have one of these.

Finger and toe sensitivity/pressure application are miles apart, i dont think anyone can argue with this...

Doohan never understood why a rider would use a thumb operated rear brake if the foot/leg was working - he only used the thumb thing because of his fused ankle preventing him to operate the rear brake in a normal fashion.

Not everyone is Doohan , alot of us are just mere mortals.~ :D

We ned all the help we can get!! ;)

Q: What happened at the end? Was your front tire gone?

Dani Pedrosa: No, I couldn't stop the bike. I was all the time off line and I was making mistakes.

Q: Because you were riding defensively?

DP: Not really, I wasn't closing with two laps to go, but my rear brake was finished, and I don't know. I didn't know I had no rear brake, I could push and it felt OK, I just felt I was not stopping for the last 10 laps or so. But I had Dovizioso behind, so I couldn't say "I'll brake a little bit earlier and make no mistakes," because he would get past easily. So I still had to brake very hard, but you could see that in the middle of the corner I was off line. So finally in the last lap, I lost two positions, just because of mistakes. It's disappointing.

http://irishroadracers.smfforfree.com/index.php?topic=5392.0;wap2

• 7 months later...

From crash.net today

Crutchlow continued: “Marc is stronger than me in the braking. But I think [my] brake point is really similar with Marc. So the position of the braking is really similar. But the way Marc manages to stop is a little better than me in some areas.

“It's skill [not the electronics] because he brakes with the rear brake so much. I do as well, but not like him. It would probably be Marc, Dovizioso, me with who uses the rear brake most. But Marc uses like you cannot believe.

“I also use the rear brake in a different place to the other guys. I use a lot more into the corner. They use it a lot more in the first and middle part of the braking.”

• 1 month later...

Crutchlow could be seen punching the air in frustration in the gravel trap but soon remounted before retiring. He later revealed his reason for pulling in was the lack of rear brake.

“I had to retire because I had no rear brake. We have to use the rear brake to stop the Honda. I would have lost two seconds a lap without it. On the Yamaha I didn't even use it but it was impossible to continue. I was over a minute behind so to take a risk for no reason - I've done that before and I've ended up in hospital.”

Crutchlow could be seen punching the air in frustration in the gravel trap but soon remounted before retiring. He later revealed his reason for pulling in was the lack of rear brake.

“I had to retire because I had no rear brake. We have to use the rear brake to stop the Honda. I would have lost two seconds a lap without it. On the Yamaha I didn't even use it but it was impossible to continue. I was over a minute behind so to take a risk for no reason - I've done that before and I've ended up in hospital.”

Yeah, I read that too and found it quite interesting. Not related to braking as such, but I noticed that it was only Lorenzo and Rossi who were doing 1:42:xx laps in the second part of the race. Everyone else were doing 1:43-1:44s. Just wow.