Visualizing Throttle Control When Cornering - Video Bike Vids?

Hi All,

Did 2 day CSS camp back in Nov 2014 and had a blast. One of the things that I really appreciated was having the video of me riding the video bike and also seeing the data on RPM, speed, brake and throttle application - this really helps me dissect what I'm doing. Was hoping to find similar vids of skilled riders so I can see in detail what their metrics look like as they go through a turn, but I can't seem to find anything like this anywhere. Anyone got any ideas where I might find such a thing? Maybe CSS has some vids like this of Keith or other instructors that they have posted or can share?

Thanks

Search California Superbike School on Youtube. There are a couple of vids of Will on the camera bike on tracks.

Search California Superbike School on Youtube. There are a couple of vids of Will on the camera bike on tracks.

Thanks. I kinda figured this would happen: right after posting here I did some more searching and apparently came up with the right combination of key words and found a few vids from CSS on YouTube that included the data overlay. These vids are very helpful. There's no indication of who is on the bike in the vids I found, so dunno if it's will - I just assumed it was Keith. I tried doing a search on Will and didn't get any hits. Found vids from Sonoma, Vegas, Laguna and Willow. If there are vids out there of other (skilled) riders that you can think of that have the data overlay I'd appreciate the leads - nice to survey different riding styles.

Thanks

Thanks. I kinda figured this would happen: right after posting here I did some more searching and apparently came up with the right combination of key words and found a few vids from CSS on YouTube that included the data overlay. These vids are very helpful. There's no indication of who is on the bike in the vids I found, so dunno if it's will - I just assumed it was Keith. I tried doing a search on Will and didn't get any hits. Found vids from Sonoma, Vegas, Laguna and Willow. If there are vids out there of other (skilled) riders that you can think of that have the data overlay I'd appreciate the leads - nice to survey different riding styles.

Thanks

If it says Ballistic on the back of the rider, it's Will - like this video.

I haven't seen any recent videos with Keith riding in them, only Will or Dylan (not that they are bad imitations by any means...)

There is a WERA expert racer that has posted some videos, some with data overlay. I make no comment either way about his technique as I haven't really watched the videos, but he is definitely a fast rider, he wins a lot of races. I'm told there is some narration in some of the videos too. Google Marcel Irnie.

Thanks

I haven't seen any recent videos with Keith riding in them, only Will or Dylan (not that they are bad imitations by any means...)

Ahhh yeah, meant to say Dylan (bit of a brain fart). Thanks for the clarification: I think it was will. Also learned how to download vids from YouTube so I can slow them down frame by frame and get a good view of what is happening (lots of stuff going on at the same time)

I enjoy watching the Marcel Irnie ones. He has also done a few AMA races. Also he rides a BMW S1000

Thanks

Does Will post in the forums? I watched several of his vids and slowed them down and I see from the data overlay that he's often braking as he is leaning in, and from what I can tell is braking until he gets to maybe 50%-66% of final lean angle. Curious to know if this is always front brake only, or if rear is also involved, in what ratio to front?

Does Will post in the forums? I watched several of his vids and slowed them down and I see from the data overlay that he's often braking as he is leaning in, and from what I can tell is braking until he gets to maybe 50%-66% of final lean angle. Curious to know if this is always front brake only, or if rear is also involved, in what ratio to front?

Will used to pop in from time to time, especially in the "Ask the Chief (Mechanic)" section, but I'm not sure if he works for the school anymore (Cobie was looking for a new Chief Mechanic early this year). Hotfoot can probably say for sure.

I don't know how they get the data - whether it's decuded from a GPS datalogger, or they have real sensors connected to the brakes and throttle. Again, Hottie can probably confirm this.

The "throttle" and "brake" animations you see on my videos (like this one) are faked by the overlay software, so it's acceleration/decelleration data.

Will retired from his Chief Mechanic position at the school. He is still involved with bikes and still rides but the school has a new Chief Mechanic; I think Will had had enough of the road warrior lifestyle and wanted some time at home with the family.

As far as I know in the vids he was using front brake, I don't think he used rear brake except to set down wheelies, or scare the hell out of me by locking up the rear tire in the pits and screeching to a stop right behind me - something he did at every possible opportunity. :) He may have used the rear brake in some cases to "back it in" to turns for fun, but every time I heard him talk about it he seemed to think backing it in wouldn't get you around the track any faster.

I'll have to ask Dylan if the brake info on those videos is brake data from the bike itself or whether it is just acceleration/deceleration-based. On older videos it is certainly the latter but I'm pretty sure the current data acquisition system uses real data from the bike.

I do know that Will used trail braking on turns when/where it was appropriate (fast entry, decreasing radius turns are a good example) but certainly not on every turn; if you have questions about trail braking the topic has been covered exhaustively on the forum, just do a search. :)