Dunlop Q3 Fresh From Css

Just got my new Dunlop Q3 from CSS mounted and balanced. Will break them in this weekend. Its a great deal for them as a CSS student.

IMG_05551.jpg

IMG_05541.jpg

Nice! These some are some sticky reliable tires that I'm planning to purchase once it's that time to replace. ;) Currently running on 2CTs'.

I liked them on the schools BMW's. Wasn't so happy with stock OEM Battalax 016's that came on the GSX-R. Per several suggestions and confirmed by Dunlop I put a 190/55 on rear vs 190/50 as it aides turning on the 1000.

Heard of them but never tried them until I rode the schools' BMW with the Q3s' and then I was blown away ! Don't know what others think but for me, the Q3s' seems better overall quality then the 2CTs'? in my opinion. I guess the other issue would be how long do they really last; well I guess what also depends on the miles/roads etc you're riding on. Track? probably need to change more often.

Heard of them but never tried them until I rode the schools' BMW with the Q3s' and then I was blown away ! Don't know what others think but for me, the Q3s' seems better overall quality then the 2CTs'? in my opinion. I guess the other issue would be how long do they really last; well I guess what also depends on the miles/roads etc you're riding on. Track? probably need to change more often.

No contest between q3's vs 2ct's. Rider preference's always play a large role, but the fundamentals are solidly better.

Nice! These some are some sticky reliable tires that I'm planning to purchase once it's that time to replace. ;) Currently running on 2CTs'.

I liked them on the schools BMW's. Wasn't so happy with stock OEM Battalax 016's that came on the GSX-R. Per several suggestions and confirmed by Dunlop I put a 190/55 on rear vs 190/50 as it aides turning on the 1000.

I believe there are 2 types of Battlax 016s. There is the one that comes stock on bikes and there's the line that you can buy in store. The stock ones are considerably worse.

This is by no means scientific and YMMV but this article/comparison by motorcycle-usa explains some of the differences.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2010/11/article/bridgestone-battlax-bt-016-tire-comparison-review/

It's also from 2010 and needs to be updated for the newer tires.

I believe there are 2 types of Battlax 016s. There is the one that comes stock on bikes and there's the line that you can buy in store. The stock ones are considerably worse.

This is by no means scientific and YMMV but this article/comparison by motorcycle-usa explains some of the differences.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2010/11/article/bridgestone-battlax-bt-016-tire-comparison-review/

It's also from 2010 and needs to be updated for the newer tires.

Yes, the Battalax 016 that comes on the bikes are actually labeled OEM, and as I have read are a single compound, where the aftermarket 016's are dual compound and better. I have just always run Dunlops plus liked them on the schools BMW's.

This topic reminds me. I never reported back on my tire switch experience. More about that in a second. Q3's are an absolutely amazing tire. Great life, great in the wet and great grip everywhere. You can't go wrong with them. Whenever I get back onto a school bike it takes me all of 2 seconds to re calibrate back to the Q3. Even without warmers. It's probably one of the most well rounded tires that's on the market.

I switched to Pirelli's recently and it's been quite an adjustment. Their profile is completely round unlike the slightly pointed profile of the Dunlops. This one thing has taken me the longest time to get used to. The Pirelli's are not as good as the Q3 in the rain. They aren't bad but they do give you a lot of feedback with squirming and occasional squirming and twitchyness in the rain. Honestly in the rain I'm probably faster on the Dunlops because when the Pirelli's start taking I start backing off.

So why am I still on Pirelli's? It's the grip honestly. The Supercorsa SP has absolutely amazing grip in the dry. Even though I know it's not limitless it certainly feels like it. It's just planted like crazy. The Pirelli SC2 slicks that I have on my track bike have even more grip than the DOT's and have a LOT more carcass stiffness and they are rock solid in the corners. Even when I slow down at an unfamiliar track or get tired keeping them hot is never an issue.

I'm coming up on a tire and wheel change interval on the street bike that's been on Supercorsa SP's. I'm really tempted to put a set of Q3's on it. With the pointy profile and lighter forged wheels it could be an interesting combination especially with the slightly better wet grip. It's a tough decision really because the Pirelli's in the dry really are confidence inspiring. I may stay on the Pirelli's for the dry grip and so I have more seat time on a rounded profile tire. Decisions decisions..... :)

Bridgestone is the only manufacturer that produced the 18inch rear tire for my first track bike. I ran a BT003 on the front and a BT090 on the rear. Not a bad tire really. Decent grip in the wet and in the dry.

Got a 100 mile break in ride before monsoons opened up. Was not pushing first 50-60 mile as Dunlop tech said give them a nice first ride and get heat in them. Per tech ran 32 front 34 rear pressure.

I knew they would steer better than OEM Battalax, but not sure how much was due to profile/compound or the fact I went to 190/55 over the stock rear 190/50 but the steering was very noticeably lighter and quicker!!!! Just what I was hoping for.

Started to pick up pace a bit last 30 miles and bike felt very planted and stable as I increased lean angle.

Looking forward to next rides :-)

This topic reminds me. I never reported back on my tire switch experience. More about that in a second. Q3's are an absolutely amazing tire. Great life, great in the wet and great grip everywhere.

When you say great in the wet what do you mean exactly? Because I tried to ride on track in the rain with Q3s and I had almost no grip on the side wall. The center grip felt ok, but I guess that would be the same even for slicks?

Spaghetti,

I had the opportunity to spend 4 days at the track in every kind of rain condition imaginable last week, so I can give you plenty of feedback on the Q3 in assorted wet conditions. My experience was that it comes down to being able to get heat into the tires, when I went out and the track was already wet I wasn't able to push hard enough to get any heat in the tire and the edge grip was very limited. I had plenty of feedback from the tires so it was easy to judge the available grip but I couldn't really carry a lot of corner speed or lean the bike over without the tires sliding. When it was a partially dry track or the rain started mid session and I already had some heat in my tires the grip was a bit better. I have not similar experience with any of brand of tires in these conditions so I cant say if they are better or worse than other offerings.

IMG58006_zpsunfzkg8e.jpg