New To The Forum, Back To Riding After 20 Or So Year Hiatus....

Living in Hampton Virginia. New to the forums but not riding. Never done a track day or any racing. Praying I can get enough pennies together to make it to VIR in August, but just bought the bike on Father's Day weekend and still trying to get case covers and frame sliders and axle sliders on it before a track day. It is a brand new bike. If I don't make it this August I'll look at the May event. Good to be here.

Welcome to the group Jethead, you're gonna love it. I also returned to riding after a long hiatus and was able to make a couple school days this year and it was amazing. I'm scheduled for a couple of the days in Aug. at VIR, hope to see you there!

Welcome to the forum Jethead. This is an amazing place with amazing people. You won't believe the amount of great riding advice you will find here.

Very good move protecting the brand new bike right away. What did you buy? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Welcome to the forums Jethead, best of luck getting to CSS down at VIR, I'm sure its gonna be awesome with the fresh new pavement on that track.

What brought you back to motorcycling after your brief hiatus ??

Tyler

Thanks Tyler!

Good info, I was unaware that VIR was newly paved..... Looking like I wont make it till next May though. I need more crash protection on that new bike. What brought me back? I finally couldn't stand being bikeless anymore.... :) That and Suzuki's offer of 0% $0 down....

Welcome to the forum Jethead. This is an amazing place with amazing people. You won't believe the amount of great riding advice you will find here.

Very good move protecting the brand new bike right away. What did you buy? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Thank you very much.

I bought a 2013 Suzuki GSXR 600..... It's a beast and I love it.

I've added Vortex swingarm sliders, just ordered Woodcraft front axle sliders and will order soon the Vortex frame sliders and GB Racings case covers/savers.... That is most likely all I will do to the bike. After those mods are complete I will be spending all my "extra" money on track days.

That's a super nice bike for track days. Track days are the most fun you can have with a bike. Have you decided which tracks you intend to conquer yet?

Other than protection tires and suspension setup are pretty important things to consider as well if you have not already. A base setup on most bikes including sag adjustments and dampening adjustments is around $100 or so and worth the money. A bit more if you need springs replaced due to weight. CSS uses Dunlop Q3's on their student bikes and I went with those myself for my bike. Some GREAT tires!

A cheap and somewhat easy thing you can do as you have time is safety wiring. As you progress in the groups and get your first "bump" to the next group it's handy to already be prepared.

That's a super nice bike for track days. Track days are the most fun you can have with a bike. Have you decided which tracks you intend to conquer yet?

Other than protection tires and suspension setup are pretty important things to consider as well if you have not already. A base setup on most bikes including sag adjustments and dampening adjustments is around $100 or so and worth the money. A bit more if you need springs replaced due to weight. CSS uses Dunlop Q3's on their student bikes and I went with those myself for my bike. Some GREAT tires!

A cheap and somewhat easy thing you can do as you have time is safety wiring. As you progress in the groups and get your first "bump" to the next group it's handy to already be prepared.

I have only considerd CSS and the closest they come to me is VIR, so that should be my first.

I haven't yet made any suspension adjustments as I have not a clue, I'll wait to try and find some help with at my first track day. Tires are new and have 1000 miles on them....

I did get pit bull front and rear stands from STG, need an EZ Up tent/shelter and more crash protection and I should be ready to roll out.

Thanks for the tips!

I have only considerd CSS and the closest they come to me is VIR, so that should be my first.

I haven't yet made any suspension adjustments as I have not a clue, I'll wait to try and find some help with at my first track day. Tires are new and have 1000 miles on them....

I did get pit bull front and rear stands from STG, need an EZ Up tent/shelter and more crash protection and I should be ready to roll out.

Thanks for the tips!

Sounds like you are doing it right. My first track experience was with CSS as well and the level of support they provided me was beyond amazing.

The School did an excellent video on setting rider sag that I think is part of the Twist 2 DVD. As T-McKeen mentioned it's SUPER easy and it's one of the more important suspension settings to look at. I did the sag adjustments on my FZR400 myself and it's super simple. Just need a tape measure and a friend and a bit of time.

I have the Twist II DVD and did not see it listed. Will check again.

If memory serves me it's an option off the main DVD menu.

I saw a Youtube video where they interviewed Keith and I did not realize all of the work that went into creating that DVD. Quite an amazing undertaking especially considering when it was made.

Hi Jethead,

One option to consider would be riding one of our bikes. I was just talking with Whitney in the office, there might be some deals available for the 2nd single day at VIR, Aug 12...it's not quite full. Rare, most days sell out.

Best,

Cobie

registration@superbikeschool.com or 800-530-3350 will get you there.

I have the Twist II DVD and did not see it listed. Will check again.

If memory serves me it's an option off the main DVD menu.

I saw a Youtube video where they interviewed Keith and I did not realize all of the work that went into creating that DVD. Quite an amazing undertaking especially considering when it was made.

Thanks... will look again. didn't look there....

Hi Jethead,

One option to consider would be riding one of our bikes. I was just talking with Whitney in the office, there might be some deals available for the 2nd single day at VIR, Aug 12...it's not quite full. Rare, most days sell out.

Best,

Cobie

registration@superbikeschool.com or 800-530-3350 will get you there.

Thanks very much for the heads up! Just not looking like I can make the dates in August due to being broke. I'd love to but just don't want to put the pressure on my family for me to have a fun day.

Walks away mumbling some incoherent grumblings......