Level

Hej all!

Season just started here and after my first race i decided to do some race school classes to improve my skills.

After reading the forum i have a few questions:

1) Do you need to start @ level 1 or can you start @ level 2?

2) Are there any additional technical requirements for the bike beside the usual stuff?

3) Possible to sleep at the paddock @ silverstone?

4) Do i need to take a power supply for my tire warmers or is there power on the paddock?

5) Did i miss anything?

One of my skills that im aware off that needs improvement is corner entry speed.

Mostly i get overtaken during corner entry.

Hi Bucky,

Everyone starts at level 1. The levels are not based on your skill level, they are based on how Keith has broken down the fundementals of riding. Your coaches will work with you on improving those fundementals, whether you are a daily commuter, a new track day enthusiast, or a WSBK factory rider.

I cant speak to your questions about Silverstone (there are a few guys here with direct experience there hopefully they can jump in) and over here there are no special requirements for your bike besides the usual (but again I don't have experience with the school in the UK).

Ride safe,

Carey

Hej all!

Season just started here and after my first race i decided to do some race school classes to improve my skills.

After reading the forum i have a few questions:

1) Do you need to start @ level 1 or can you start @ level 2?

2) Are there any additional technical requirements for the bike beside the usual stuff?

3) Possible to sleep at the paddock @ silverstone?

4) Do i need to take a power supply for my tire warmers or is there power on the paddock?

5) Did i miss anything?

One of my skills that im aware off that needs improvement is corner entry speed.

Mostly i get overtaken during corner entry.

Hi Buckie,

I'll alrert one of the UK branch fellas to have a look and get back to you.

Best,

Cobie

ps--welcome to the forum!

Hi Bucky,

Everyone starts at level 1. The levels are not based on your skill level, they are based on how Keith has broken down the fundementals of riding. Your coaches will work with you on improving those fundementals, whether you are a daily commuter, a new track day enthusiast, or a WSBK factory rider.

I cant speak to your questions about Silverstone (there are a few guys here with direct experience there hopefully they can jump in) and over here there are no special requirements for your bike besides the usual (but again I don't have experience with the school in the UK).

Ride safe,

Carey

Cool! Thanks for the reply. Will see when to attend to a course! Looking forward to it :-)

I'm doing L3 at Silverstone on 14th July, which is a rare Saturday. Not sure about camping, I've got a B&B the night before. Where are you travelling from? Don't waste your time with tyre warmers unless you're on slicks, you won't be riding anywhere near the edge of you or your bike's abilities, save for the 100% use of your concentration. I've seen people riding tourers and even a BMW GS on L1 - it's all about upgrading your software not your hardware.

Obivously I'd advocate the school, I wouldn't be going back again otherwise. Re. your corner entry speed, there are 2-3 of the techniques which together will have a good impact on this.

Hi Buckie,

Just out of interest, what level are you racing at and what happened at your first race to make you realise you needed some more skills?! Share your experiences! ;)

As for your enquiry, first, we are not a race school. We don't teach things like race starts, block passing, draughting etc. things you could reasonably expect from a 'race' school. What we are is a Cornering School so if you want to corner better, including getting the correct corner entry speed, we really can help! BUT be aware that this is not a sticking-plaster quick fix and there is no magic fairy dust that we sprinkle on you to achieve this. Cutting corners (if you'll excuse the pun?!) is no substitute to you working hard on the day to absolutely and fully understand the techniques we teach as this is the only way you will be able to fully apply those techniques.

1) so yes, you'll start at Level 1

2) If you bike passes UK race scrutineering, it'll be fine at Silverstone

3) No one is allowed to stay within Silverstone overnight at the Schools. There is a huge carpark on the entrance that is ok for overnight parking though.

4) There is power in the Garages when we use the Stowe Circuit, also when we use the National Circuit and the next time we use the International Circuit we'll be working out of the F1 garages beneath the Wing Building so there is power there as well. Some times we use a building on the Stowe apron for the International Circuit and there are no garages or power outside there. Double check when you book. Remember that this is a School and it is a busy, tight scheduled day. If you are running tyre warmers / wets etc, please bring someone along to be in charge of this for you. You will have enough to do with classroom seminars, off track drills, Coach debriefs etc!

5) Send your contact details to Lynn in the office at lynnb@superbikeschool.co.uk and she'll send you a pack with all you need to know about a School day.

Hope that helps!

Spidey

I'm doing L3 at Silverstone on 14th July, which is a rare Saturday. Not sure about camping, I've got a B&B the night before. Where are you travelling from? Don't waste your time with tyre warmers unless you're on slicks, you won't be riding anywhere near the edge of you or your bike's abilities, save for the 100% use of your concentration. I've seen people riding tourers and even a BMW GS on L1 - it's all about upgrading your software not your hardware.

Obivously I'd advocate the school, I wouldn't be going back again otherwise. Re. your corner entry speed, there are 2-3 of the techniques which together will have a good impact on this.

Johnny,

Normally i cant use a tire more than 1 day if i dont use tyre warmers. When i used them i can use them 2 max 3 days.

Im thinking on going to the school 14 or 13th of July. Im travelling from Holland. 7 hour drive :-)

Im still doubting if i schould go.. this because i did a few courses here in holland but dont think they are this good.

Hi Buckie,

Just out of interest, what level are you racing at and what happened at your first race to make you realise you needed some more skills?! Share your experiences! ;)

As for your enquiry, first, we are not a race school. We don't teach things like race starts, block passing, draughting etc. things you could reasonably expect from a 'race' school. What we are is a Cornering School so if you want to corner better, including getting the correct corner entry speed, we really can help! BUT be aware that this is not a sticking-plaster quick fix and there is no magic fairy dust that we sprinkle on you to achieve this. Cutting corners (if you'll excuse the pun?!) is no substitute to you working hard on the day to absolutely and fully understand the techniques we teach as this is the only way you will be able to fully apply those techniques.

1) so yes, you'll start at Level 1

2) If you bike passes UK race scrutineering, it'll be fine at Silverstone

3) No one is allowed to stay within Silverstone overnight at the Schools. There is a huge carpark on the entrance that is ok for overnight parking though.

4) There is power in the Garages when we use the Stowe Circuit, also when we use the National Circuit and the next time we use the International Circuit we'll be working out of the F1 garages beneath the Wing Building so there is power there as well. Some times we use a building on the Stowe apron for the International Circuit and there are no garages or power outside there. Double check when you book. Remember that this is a School and it is a busy, tight scheduled day. If you are running tyre warmers / wets etc, please bring someone along to be in charge of this for you. You will have enough to do with classroom seminars, off track drills, Coach debriefs etc!

5) Send your contact details to Lynn in the office at lynnb@superbikeschool.co.uk and she'll send you a pack with all you need to know about a School day.

Hope that helps!

Spidey

Why i realized it?

During last year races and first race this year i spoke with a few guys, wish are about 10-15 seconds faster a lap and they told me i need to enter the corner faster..they did a few laps behind and in front me.

I watched Twist of the Wrist II a few times and i think i need to work more on the 2 step technique. Watch into the corner, wait until you see though the apex and then turn the bike in..

I'm just a amateur racer and want to be in more control of my bike.

As Spidey says it's not a school for racing, but when you're more in control then you can go faster. Before this I'd tried a few trackday instructors to help me out, and really they were just trying to show me some good lines round the circuit. Good lines are a waste of time if you don't properly understand stuff like controlling the front tyre with the throttle, and you can't follow someone into a bend at the same speed if you can't control the rate at which you turn in. To be honest you haven't described the 2-step quite right, but this is part of Level 1 anyway.

You go from the classroom to the track and back quite a lot, and aside from a few breaks it's a busy day. If you don't have an assistant then you might want to just put a good set of road tyres on your bike for the day. One of the principles is that you can't ride at 100% and learn anything, your concentration is all used up going fast. So things are slowed down a bit for you to learn new techniques, making space in your brain to take in the new stuff. That's why you can do it on any bike, the aim is to do it right, when you do the speed comes back by itself.

There are lots of places to stay cheap near the circuit, up to 30mins drive e.g. Travel Inn or Premier Inn are typically 40-50 Euros a night, if you prefer.

"they told me i need to enter the corner faster"

OK, good, at least that identifies an are for improvement although more useful would be for them to give you an idea of how to achieve that?

Lets take just one corner:

How about if you could set your speed more accurately on the approach to that corner?

How about if you knew every time, lap after lap, exactly where that corner started?

How about if you could get your bike on line for that corner quicker than you do now?

How about if you knew that when you were in that corner that the bike underneath you would have the suspension working as good as its current set-up allows?

How about if you knew that when you were in that corner that your tyres were going to have as much traction as they are capable of in the conditions around you?

How about if you knew that when you were in that corner that your bike was going to be stable and predictable?

How about if you knew that every time, lap after lap, you would be able to hit the same apex and have a consistent line on the exit?

If you think that improving any one of those things would give you the confidence to allow you to enter the corner faster than you do now then come and do Level One because it will help you with all of them B)

• 2 weeks later...

"they told me i need to enter the corner faster"

OK, good, at least that identifies an are for improvement although more useful would be for them to give you an idea of how to achieve that?

Lets take just one corner:

How about if you could set your speed more accurately on the approach to that corner?

How about if you knew every time, lap after lap, exactly where that corner started?

How about if you could get your bike on line for that corner quicker than you do now?

How about if you knew that when you were in that corner that the bike underneath you would have the suspension working as good as its current set-up allows?

How about if you knew that when you were in that corner that your tyres were going to have as much traction as they are capable of in the conditions around you?

How about if you knew that when you were in that corner that your bike was going to be stable and predictable?

How about if you knew that every time, lap after lap, you would be able to hit the same apex and have a consistent line on the exit?

If you think that improving any one of those things would give you the confidence to allow you to enter the corner faster than you do now then come and do Level One because it will help you with all of them B)

Cool! Too bad you guys don't do this in the Netherlands.

I will find a way to come to the UK. Almost 95% sure ill be there the 13 or / and 14th of July.