Vision Obscured By Helmet While In Full Tuck?

When i get into a full tuck, my vision is obscured by my helmet.I use my left hand to push my helmet up a bit so as to be able to see ahead.I have a scorpion exo 700 helmet in the correct size.

I hear racers put some extra padding on top to deal with this problem.What do you guys do....do you face the same problem and how do you deal with this?

Thanks

Yes, that is really common. Adding some padding in the top is the easiest and most common solution that I know of. On some helmets you can order a smaller liner piece for just the crown piece, to make the helmet sit higher.

Also check to make sure your leathers or back protector aren't hitting the back of your helmet and rotating it forward when you are in a tuck.

When i get into a full tuck, my vision is obscured by my helmet.I use my left hand to push my helmet up a bit so as to be able to see ahead.I have a scorpion exo 700 helmet in the correct size.

I hear racers put some extra padding on top to deal with this problem.What do you guys do....do you face the same problem and how do you deal with this?

Thanks

If you really do have an exo-700, that sucker is due for replacement - it's been out of production for years and years! That said, I've owned a exo-700, 750, and now a EXO-R2000. The 700 and 750 were basically the same for the eyeport, and yes, I put some padding at the forehead to lift the front of the helmet up for visibility on the track. The eyeport on the R2000 is bigger though, and you may not need anything. (It also flows more air to keep you cooler!)

I've used a folded up blue paper towel (the thick ones they call "shop" towels) for a long time, folded up into a ~1.5" x 3" rectangle. Most of my friends used some medium density foam.

a sponge sounds like an interesting idea to soak up sweat... just make sure you clean it after every weekend! :P Hopefully it won't collapse too thin when it's wet though.

I've used a folded up blue paper towel (the thick ones they call "shop" towels) for a long time, folded up into a ~1.5" x 3" rectangle. Most of my friends used some medium density foam.

a sponge sounds like an interesting idea to soak up sweat... just make sure you clean it after every weekend! :P Hopefully it won't collapse too thin when it's wet though.

I'm pretty sure Stroker meant a sponge-type foam (i.e., open cell foam) not an actual absorbent sponge. I used a folded up paper towel for a while, too - it's what I had on hand as a "field fix" and it worked well enough that I didn't change it for while. I'm not sure any helmet company likes the idea of putting ANYTHING other than your head in your helmet, but it seems like a soft foam would be the best option - probably good to avoid anything non-compressible or anything with corners (like a folded up washcloth) because it might add pressure points in the case of a crash.

I wonder if this isn't caused sometimes by helmets that fit too loosely i.e. your noggin is bottoming out in the hat? I made sure when I bought my SR-1 that I got one that fit well around the crown of my head and then worked with it to get it to loosen up in my cheeks. It's a size smaller than my touring helmet, a Schuberth C3.

I have the Arai RX-Q and at the bike show in the Big Apple they (Arai) directed me to THESERVICEPAVILIAN.COM table (bike shop that specializes in Arai) and not only did they fix a warranty vent issue but when I called them after seeing this post weeks later they knew exactly which crown piece I needed. Thanks for bringing this up because it's a serious issue that has plagued me for a long time which I had no idea was correctable. Cheek pads can also be switched if the crown alone doesn't do the trick.

As a near 6ft racer on a ninja 250, this happens. I have credited this largely to not being able to "fit" the ergos to my perfect needs. When I ran into this problem, I tried to duplicate my issue on my r6 and guess what? No problems on that bike. While we make do on what bike we are on at the time, don't forget to stop and think about your ergos and take the time to adjust them if your gunna be riding that bike for a while. Aside of the helmet hitting the back of my suit (speed hump) other subtle things have cropped up as well. Sometimes we find solutions to the symptoms vs. the problems. :)

Can anyone else think of any clues that let you know your ergos are off?

Last time i was on track i was getting mentally frustrated with my helmet for this reason. I felt my body positioning and flexibility could go further, but i could not, due to the eyeport of my Bell helmet. The lower i went, the less i could see up ahead. Are there known helmets that have larger eyeports than others?

Typically models that are race-oriented are designed more around the rider being in a tuck and should provide better visibility from that position, plus better aerodynamics when the rider is in a tuck compared to upright. Standard street model helmets may not have those particular design characteristic in mind.

Any of the top-of-the-line race-oriented Schuberth, Shoei, Shark, Arai, AGV, HJC, Scorpion helmets should be good in this regard - as long as the helmet fits you properly! Certain websites - Revzilla comes to mind - can offer a little guidance on what brands/models tend to fit what types of head shapes, or Schuberth reps will happily help fit you properly if you can meet up with them at an event or at a CSS school they attend (they come to some of them). Sales reps at motorcycle stores have wide-ranging knowledge levels - some know a lot but a lot don't, so be cautious in getting helmet selection or fitting advice from a local motorcycle shop.

• 11 months later...

Yamaha just released a number of press shots from their 2016 Launch Presentation yesterday (Jan 18th), including this shot of Rossi taken with a clear visor for once (pics on MotoGP website).

Notice just how much of his brow you can see - that's how is should look like when you put your track helmet on.

post-15296-0-43449400-1453233501_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

This helmet fit issue is something we see at every school.

Something I learned recently about break in too: the Schuberth uses a different type of construction (I need to find out the exact one) and as such takes longer to break in, but is also supposed to hold that shape better/longer. For sure we have had people need to use it for some days, even 2 weeks to get fully broken in.