Dunlop Sportsmart2: 190/50 Vs 190/55 Profile?

A new year has come, and Ye Olde R1 (nee 2003) needs a new set of shoes this year. The old shoes are Dunlop SportSmarts that I have loved to pieces (literally), so it is an easy decision to just go for the newer SportSmart2.

In the 190 size, they come in two profiles: 50 and 55. Obviously, the 55 profile is slighty higher (9,5mm if I got that right), which should give a more pointed profile, less rubber in the middle for the straightaways but more rubber when leaned over to the edge. Not that I've lacked edge grip on the SportSmart - I've run my knee into the tarmac on the outlap at a CSS course in Sweden, without any troubles.

Do anyone have any experience with 50 vs 55 profile?

Thanks,

Kai

I haven't ridden on the 50s but all I ever see on race tires at the track is the 55 profile - 180/55, 190/55 or 200/55. What will your primary use be for the tires, road or track? What wore out the most on your current rear tire, the middle or the sides?

(I only have ridden on US model tires, BTW, not the European version, and I don't know if there are any significant differences.)

Hi Hotfoot,

I'll be riding 90-95% on the road with the R1. I'll be on track doing some instruction 2-3 days per year, but that will be at a fairly relaxed pace. My own trackdays will be using the R6.

The wear was fairly level, both sides and the middle. The main reason I'm replacing them is that they're manufactured in 2010.

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to find a contact form for Dunlop (well hidden on their website) and shot the question off to them. They recommended the stock profile (the /50), so I'll be going with that.

Did they give the reasons why? Now that you have raised the question, I am curious. :)

Nope, they didn't ;) There's a motorcycle show at the end of the month that I'm planning to go to, so with a bit of luck (a lot, actually), Dunlop will be there and I can get a longer answer.

My guess is that since I'm primarily going to ride on the streets, that they want to stick to the OEM size/profile to avoid problems. Unfortunately Steve is no longer visiting the forums, so we can't lean on him.

• 4 weeks later...

I contacted Dunlop concerning my 2015 GSX-R1000 as a number of magazines recommened the 190/55x17 over the stock 190/50x17 as they said it noticeably improved the 1000's turning as well as better side grip.

I expected a reply of stay with stock but they endorsed the 190/55 as an excellect choice for my GSXR. As I am just about ready for new tires I am highly considering the Dunlop Q3 with the 190/55 rear.

My guess is some bikes react better to the higher profile than others.

I contacted Dunlop concerning my 2015 GSX-R1000 as a number of magazines recommened the 190/55x17 over the stock 190/50x17 as they said it noticeably improved the 1000's turning as well as better side grip.

I expected a reply of stay with stock but they endorsed the 190/55 as an excellect choice for my GSXR. As I am just about ready for new tires I am highly considering the Dunlop Q3 with the 190/55 rear.

I'm sure you will find it MUCH MUCH easier to find the 190/55 than the 50s. The school has great prices on Q3s for students. I am REALLY impressed with the Q3s, I love the handling and the grip is tremendous and they seem to last a long time. I'd almost always choose the Q3 over anything else - including racing slicks - for anything short of all-out sprint races.

I'm sure you will find it MUCH MUCH easier to find the 190/55 than the 50s. The school has great prices on Q3s for students. I am REALLY impressed with the Q3s, I love the handling and the grip is tremendous and they seem to last a long time. I'd almost always choose the Q3 over anything else - including racing slicks - for anything short of all-out sprint races.

Yes, I plan to get them through CSS. My 1986 school qualifies me, but I am taking May 11-12th 2 day at VIR with my son to celebrate 30th CSS anniversary (plus get him good coaching so he also learns right).

Yes, I plan to get them through CSS. My 1986 school qualifies me, but I am taking May 11-12th 2 day at VIR with my son to celebrate 30th CSS anniversary (plus get him good coaching so he also learns right).

That's fantastic, I love to see father-son students come to school together. 30 year CSS anniversary, that is so cool! Where did you do your 1986 school?

Yes, I plan to get them through CSS. My 1986 school qualifies me, but I am taking May 11-12th 2 day at VIR with my son to celebrate 30th CSS anniversary (plus get him good coaching so he also learns right). I had a bit more hair then and it was not as gray :)

That's fantastic, I love to see father-son students come to school together. 30 year CSS anniversary, that is so cool! Where did you do your 1986 school?

Mid Ohio. Here is a picture with Doug Chandler:

86_California%20Superbike%20School_1.jpg

Update: a set of 120/70-ZR17 and 190/55-ZR17 are on their way to me. I'll keep you guys posted on my experience.

Went riding today for the first time this season - a chilly 8-10degrees (46-50F) with the sun gone again.

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I spent a good couple of hours to change the tires manually (I don't have access to a hydraulic machine). As usual, the Dunlops are pretty stiff in the carcass, so it takes me quite some cussing to get the old ones off and the new ones on.

Got out riding about a hundred km, scrubbing in the tires and starting to get my feeling back.

Like the SportSmart, the SportSmart2 profile feels very neutral. I may be imagining this, but I think I can feel the slightly taller 190/55 profile over the 190/50 of the old SportSmarts: slightly quicker to turn in, but still very stable both riding straight and when turned in.