Tire Warmer Size

I have a set of Chicken Hawk Tire Warmers that are about six years old. They are for a 120/180 set and the rear will not stretch to cover a 190. Now that I use Dunlop 211 GPA's (190) I am looking to replace these. I am puzzled to find some suppliers offering a 180-195 rear which doesn't sound right. Has the technology developed to allow this kind of flexibility?

Rainman

I have a set of Chicken Hawk Tire Warmers that are about six years old. They are for a 120/180 set and the rear will not stretch to cover a 190. Now that I use Dunlop 211 GPA's (190) I am looking to replace these. I am puzzled to find some suppliers offering a 180-195 rear which doesn't sound right. Has the technology developed to allow this kind of flexibility?

Kevin,

What I have seen from vendors is that they will sell two sizes/models: one for 250GP sized tires, and one for 600/1000cc sized tires. I think it's more the height that the width of the tires that would be problematic for the warmer size.

Kai

Rainman

YES, KHP's observation is right. They have moved to a bigger rear warmer that fits 180-200 sizing. keeping in mind the newer rears (ever since the 195/65 slicks) the rear tires are taller and bigger in diameter (656 mm) thus needing a bigger warmer to cover not only the width but the circumference as well. They fit the large tires great, and smaller 180 sizes there is an overlap slightly but that is take up with the Velcro flap.

Go ahead and get the new style warmers they will work for all 600+ bikes and tires.

You can get some cool warmers here: Dunlop Logo Warmers

If you order some tires you can get a discount on the warmers. ;)

• 1 month later...

Are you sure they work okay? I've always thought you want hot warmers? tongue.gif

Another question about fit - is it true to say that a tyre warmer should be large enough to be in contact with the rim? I remember hearing something about warmers saying that they shouldn't heat only the tyre, but also the actual wheel to help maintain the temperature?

• 2 weeks later...

Are you sure they work okay? I've always thought you want hot warmers? tongue.gif

That's funny right there!!! Or should I say "that's a cool joke". ;)

Another question about fit - is it true to say that a tyre warmer should be large enough to be in contact with the rim? I remember hearing something about warmers saying that they shouldn't heat only the tyre, but also the actual wheel to help maintain the temperature?

I think you might be splitting hairs on that. the idea is to get heat in the tire. if you are doing that, you have done the job. The rim will get hot just by being in contact with the tire and the air in the tire. I would not try to overthink this.

• 5 months later...

Cheers for that, good to know. Not that I have warmers or anything, I stick to the old school method of parking my bike in the sun to warm the tyres. tongue.gif

I also use the sun but i can never keep up with the other guys since they use warmers and they fly as soon as they get in the track.

I am thinking of getting warmers since at the track here they provide us with power at no extra cost, but then how do i carry my paddock stands there, since i ride my bike to the track ( 7 km ).

So if i buy warmers i must also buy a trailer and install a towbar in my wifes car. rolleyes.gif

Is there any way to carry my paddock stands with the bike dry.gif ?

I'm sure there's a way you could carry the stands... a guy here in Australia made the news for carrying a BBQ on his bike down the freeway... so yeah I'm sure you can manage a couple of stands. Whether or not it's a good idea, that's another question... tongue.gif

I am sticking with riding to track days for the near future. Much less hassle for me that way!