Css At New Thunderbolt Track In Nj On August 11, 12

I am a new rider and just started riding this summer. I have a 98 Ninja 250 and so far have taken the MSF basic rider's course, and ridden about 800 miles on the street over the past few months. Most of the miles have been on country back roads and twisties. I have all 3 of Code's books, but the only one I've started so far is Twist 2, finished the Throttle Control section.

I signed up for two individual days of Level 1 and Level 2 at the new Thunderbolt Track in NJ on August 11 and 12. Just curious to see if anyone on here will be there? Even which instructors are coming?

Also what do you guys think of the track? Seems it just opened this earlier this month. http://youtube.com/watch?v=cUYlw_ejtYQ&feature=related

I think this would be the same config, but not sure. It seems pretty high speed, would it be a good place to learn technical cornering, or would you guys suggest doing the school at a different track?

I am doing the school on their ZX-6. I was also wondering with my limited experience, after doing the Level 1 and 2 on their ZX-6, would I be okay to move up to an 03-06 Japanese 600cc sportbike?

Any other advice, comments?

Thanks!

Imran

I am a new rider and just started riding this summer. I have a 98 Ninja 250 and so far have taken the MSF basic rider's course, and ridden about 800 miles on the street over the past few months. Most of the miles have been on country back roads and twisties. I have all 3 of Code's books, but the only one I've started so far is Twist 2, finished the Throttle Control section.

I signed up for two individual days of Level 1 and Level 2 at the new Thunderbolt Track in NJ on August 11 and 12. Just curious to see if anyone on here will be there? Even which instructors are coming?

Also what do you guys think of the track? Seems it just opened this earlier this month. http://youtube.com/watch?v=cUYlw_ejtYQ&feature=related

I think this would be the same config, but not sure. It seems pretty high speed, would it be a good place to learn technical cornering, or would you guys suggest doing the school at a different track?

I am doing the school on their ZX-6. I was also wondering with my limited experience, after doing the Level 1 and 2 on their ZX-6, would I be okay to move up to an 03-06 Japanese 600cc sportbike?

Any other advice, comments?

Thanks!

Imran

Hi Imran,

I've already answered with my thoughts (in some e-mails), but I would like to have some of the other forum guys get up here and give you theirs.

best,

Cobie

Hi Imran,

I've already answered with my thoughts (in some e-mails), but I would like to have some of the other forum guys get up here and give you theirs.

best,

Cobie

Imran;

I will respond to Cobie's request and offer an opinion.

You say: “the only one I've started so far is Twist 2, finished the Throttle Control section.” My advice - Read both Twist 1 and 2 before you show up; these books will give you the foundation you will need to better grasp the program at the School.

You ask: “ what do you guys think of the track? Seems it just opened this earlier this month. I think this would be the same config, but not sure. It seems pretty high speed”. It is new to everybody; I am a member of Team Pro-Motion (Philadelphia based Track Club) and the word on our message board is that it is wide, it has pretty good elevation changes and it is fast.

You ask: “would it be a good place to learn technical cornering, or would you guys suggest doing the school at a different track?”. The only possible disadvantage I can imagine is that this will be the first time that the School sets up at this track. They will not have the institutional knowledge of NJMP that the School enjoys at their other venues but that will not matter to you. Their Coaches are so skilled that they will “learn” the layout very quickly. They did it at Barber, they did it at Miller and they will do it at NJMP. What will not change is the drills you will learn; I would recommend that your focus should be on those and not on the particular track where they are taught.

The next question was: “I am doing the school on their ZX-6. I was also wondering with my limited experience, after doing the Level 1 and 2 on their ZX-6, would I be okay to move up to an 03-06 Japanese 600cc sportbike”. I would suggest that it is too soon to know. Make that decision after you attend.

Congratulations on making the investment…it will pay big dividends for you soon.

Kevin

I'm signed up for Level II and III on the same dates. I did level I at Watkins Glen a couple years ago and got a ton out of the school. When I took the course it was only my second track day. I've read the book but as long as I apply the lessons on the track I stay consistant and smooth. I don't ride as much as I would like to, infact I only ride on the track which is turning into about 4 times a year. But I remain in the advanced group and hold my own every track day. I can't wait to see what the next two levels will teach me.

IMO, You've made the right choice in wanting to learn and you won't regret learning from CSS.

• 2 weeks later...

Road on lightening 2 days in July and I think we were the first bikes on thunderbolt on August 4th. Lightening is a very fast track but not a lot of cornering. Thunderbolt is still being completed. Lots of construction going on and a lot of dirt around the track. They had to sweep the track on 8/4 in the morning for an hour holding us up.

Track wise, for a local track its pretty good. We sectioned off the two smaller straights and used the inner part of the track on both sides for more turns. Not sure what you guys will do on the 11th and 12th.

It can be a tiring track after a full day, but its very enjoyable.

They made a bad mistake with pit in though. You pit in right at the end of the long straight away right before turn 1. As long as somebody is pitting you in and you trust them it will be fine. But if you come off and come back on a hot track it could be a dangereous situation (no clue who designed that part). Make sure you stay to the far right on turn one.

Shame I am not joining you guys next week. I tried signing up too late and you guys are booked (on the waiting list just on case!)

Enjoy the track time, other then the dirt its a very smooth, nice and new track!

http://www.forceten.org/nes/NJMP/th1.JPG

http://www.forceten.org/nes/NJMP/th2.JPG

http://www.forceten.org/nes/NJMP/th3.JPG

http://www.forceten.org/nes/NJMP/th4.JPG

Forceten;

These NJMP posts are really helpful and it was cool that you took the time to give everybody this information. There will be no institutional knowledge of this track to rely upon, especially for the Track Coaches so this is a real public service post. I know that pit out procedures at tracks like Loudon and Beaver Run are very critical and it sounds like it will be just as important here.

Thanks;

Kevin

Forceten;

These NJMP posts are really helpful and it was cool that you took the time to give everybody this information. There will be no institutional knowledge of this track to rely upon, especially for the Track Coaches so this is a real public service post. I know that pit out procedures at tracks like Loudon and Beaver Run are very critical and it sounds like it will be just as important here.

Thanks;

Kevin

Your welcome, I just wish you guys had room for me to join ya this coming week. Oh well.......

I will be back on thunderbolt on 9/8 and lightening the end of september with a 3 day stop off at calabogie in september in the middle.

You guys gonna be back at NJMP for next year? I will have to reg earlier and get in.

Your welcome, I just wish you guys had room for me to join ya this coming week. Oh well.......

I will be back on thunderbolt on 9/8 and lightening the end of september with a 3 day stop off at calabogie in september in the middle.

You guys gonna be back at NJMP for next year? I will have to reg earlier and get in.

Sounds like a nice plan you got there. I heard from a couple people Calabogie is a great track.

You should plan to sign up for CSS early next year for NJMP Thunderbolt course. I had such a great time and learned a ton. I can't wait to do Level 4.

I got to the track early on Sunday just to check it out and while I was there CSS pulled into the parking lot. I went over to say hello and they were totally cool.

I hung out with the guys for a few hours and they were cool enough to let me keep the bike at the track overnight. Big load off my mind not having to sleep with one eye open wondering if the bike will be on the back of the truck while at the hotel. Although the Millville area seems ok it made it a lot easier not having to unload it Monday morning.

CSS rules. I had a blast!!! Thanks!

CSS rules. I had a blast!!! Thanks!

Biddy;

That track Rocks doesn't it? The blind right hander (T4) is very much like Mid-Ohio's T7 just opposite hand and that bowl runs forever. The Pavement is smooth as anyplace I've ever been and the combination of the bowl (T8) with T9 down to T1 is amazingly fast.

It's nice to read that it worked out for you.

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...