Getting Bike Fit

acebobby

Hubbard 28 and Racer,

Guys, we take some pride in this forum and keeping the exhanges friendly. Let's keep this friendly. Let's get back on this subject of dehydration, which is a real issue for us at the school.

My coaches have to ride in whatever the tempurature, sometimes very hot. They have to ride 3 times what tha average student rides. We have clocked 106 degree days, the coaches in their own private little saunas--helmet and full riding gear, riding 15 sessions on track.

We got information on dehydration from a detox program that was fully researched and verified, by a scientoifc foundation, with MD's on board. The detox program involves gets up to 5 hours a day, approx 1/2 hour exercise and then 4 1/2 hours in the sauna. You do a lot of sweating! The symptoms of dehydration are listed, then the electrolytes, which are salt, potassium, and bioplasma (also known as cell salts).

These are the things we supply for staff and students to use.

Water is obviously the big thing, and most don't drink enough, near enough. I also read an article that said hte US Army recommended in 90-100 degree weather, a man working outside should drink 13 liters.

Best,

Cobie

I apologize for the posts. I wasn't trying to come across as juvenile, but guess we did.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Car racing is a different story. A coworker who fairly reliable was talking about a F1 study where they determined that women are ideally suited (weight and balance wise) to F1. Where they come up short has been on the specific women driving the cars. It's a shame they aren't as competitive then we would have better data and can make better speculation.

I wonder what's going to happen when Eleana Myers is old enough to get her AMA Pro License???

Eleana Myers has broken the AMA Pro barrier by being first to win. GO ELEANA

http://www.motorcycle.com/news/elena-myers-nets-historic-first-win-89559.html

If women can compete with men in motorcycle racing, then why don't they? The one that rides in AMA is nowhere near being competitive. In one race a couple years ago I believe she just fell short of being lapped by the last place male rider. I think there would be enough worldwide evidence proving my side of the argument if we looked into it.

Women riders can be competitive! There have been a couple this year in WSS.

Reason you don't see a lot of women in racing is purely down to the number of women riding bikes in the first place. If you look at the ratio of male to female riders in the world, then I would say it is largely male dominated. I hate to guess, but for arguments sake let's say 90% male, 10% female. Of the entire motorcycle population, how many club race? Maybe 5% if that? Of that number, what % race nationally? Maybe 10% And of the national racers what % make it to world level? 5% again - probably less!? So given the small % of female riders (in comparsion to male) you start with, on a purely maths point of view, the chance of female riders reaching world level is incredibly small.

Nothing to do with ability or competitiveness. If 90% of bike riders were females, then I would imagine we would have grids largely dominated by the fairer sex and the guys would be holding the umbrellas! :)

EDIT: - Woah, blast from the past thread!

If women can compete with men in motorcycle racing, then why don't they? The one that rides in AMA is nowhere near being competitive. In one race a couple years ago I believe she just fell short of being lapped by the last place male rider. I think there would be enough worldwide evidence proving my side of the argument if we looked into it.

Women riders can be competitive! There have been a couple this year in WSS.

Reason you don't see a lot of women in racing is purely down to the number of women riding bikes in the first place. If you look at the ratio of male to female riders in the world, then I would say it is largely male dominated. I hate to guess, but for arguments sake let's say 90% male, 10% female. Of the entire motorcycle population, how many club race? Maybe 5% if that? Of that number, what % race nationally? Maybe 10% And of the national racers what % make it to world level? 5% again - probably less!? So given the small % of female riders (in comparsion to male) you start with, on a purely maths point of view, the chance of female riders reaching world level is incredibly small.

Nothing to do with ability or competitiveness. If 90% of bike riders were females, then I would imagine we would have grids largely dominated by the fairer sex and the guys would be holding the umbrellas! :)

EDIT: - Woah, blast from the past thread!

LOL

This is a blast from the past thread, at the time Hubbard and myself argued this one out to no avail! I still think women could be competitive under the correct circumstances!

Hubbard is now jasonzilla and still a top guy and regular poster on here!

If u think about this how could it hurt your performance by getting into shape these bikes are so lift especially at thee levels that shedding even ounces helps them tremendously so with the development lately its not crazy to think that at their level being fit shedding as much body fat as possible staying within a healthy limit is required of them or they are striving working at their peak conditions fighting for the top spot... I do agree fully on the technique over fitness aspect but no one can deny that if u have great technique and come across some one of equal value that it would not come down to the smallest aspects of the game... I stay fit not really any particular area but just a basic overall workout to keep my heart healthy and to focus my mind... the help on the bike is secondary to my health but I love every edge I can get haha :-)

I am 55 and I race. My work out routine at the gym is five days a week. The only upper body work at the gym is on the elliptical machine where I do cross training for 45 minutes at the highest level I can stand and alternate my heart rate between 120 and 150 bpm. I use my arms to push pull on the highest resistance range and do this every other day. on alternating days I do twenty minutes on an elliptical and then work my legs...quads, abductors, glutes and hamstrings. I do three different stomach exercises every work out.

I think that my arms and chest should be able to be strong enough to make the steering inputs but it is your stomach and legs that need to be able to hold you on the bike. Energy is waisted going to large upper body muscle groups so I try to maintain lean muscle mass in the chest and arms.

Racing is not just the energy you burn on the track but the energy you burn before the race so eating the right foods before and during your track or race day is important. I eat fruit and cereal the morning of a race and then try to eat small amounts up until the race with plenty of water. The excitement and anticipation before a race can zap you of valuable energy reserves so having your bike prepared before hand is important....then you can sit back and try to conserve your energy for when you will need it the most.