Rossi Sticking Out His Leg - Why?

BLSJDS

Watching Rossi yesterday on the Speed channel, I noticed he kept sticking his left leg out as he approached one of the left hand turns, almost dangling it out before putting his foot back on the peg, extending his knee, and taking the turn.

Just curious as to why he would do that? Maybe his foot was falling asleep? Ha ha :)

Wild watching him pass Pedrosa and then go on to lengthen his lead by quite a bit!!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching Rossi yesterday on the Speed channel, I noticed he kept sticking his left leg out as he approached one of the left hand turns, almost dangling it out before putting his foot back on the peg, extending his knee, and taking the turn.

Just curious as to why he would do that? Maybe his foot was falling asleep? Ha ha :)

Wild watching him pass Pedrosa and then go on to lengthen his lead by quite a bit!!

We discussed this at some length in another thread a couple months ago. Guys on SBK are doing it too. No definitive answer yet. Someone is just going to have to corner Val and ask him.... WTF?

I arrived at my best theory about it last summer after catching myself doing something similar on my "ten speed" bicycle as I pulled away from a stop with all my weight on one pedal.

In a nutshell, if they are setting up the calf raise and locking on with the outside leg ahead of time, it may simply be a matter of balancing until they are ready to turn in.

I'll catch up with him in Valencia this weekend :)

It probably just gives him something to do before the corner as he probably has a good $9.98 worth of attention left!

I'll catch up with him in Valencia this weekend :)

It probably just gives him something to do before the corner as he probably has a good $9.98 worth of attention left!

LOL

Yeah, he's probably bored and doing it just to mess with our heads and make everyone wonder why. Now he has half the WSBK guys doing it (just because he is) with no idea why. Meanwhile, he's sitting back laughing his a$$ off reading these posts. Next year he's going to stick the other foot off to see how many people he can get to do it too.

Did anyone catch him standing up and picking his underwear out of his butt crack for the rear bike cam at Phillip Island? Or was it Japan...

That was hysterical. I wonder if Eurosport edited it out after the live broadcast...

Keith could get him to chime in here if he really wanted to. And what a coup that would be for this forum... eh? Of course, it's probably still a secret weapon, so, no such luck. :ph34r:

Rossi pulls his underwear out of his ass at the end of the warm up lap at every race for as long as I can remember, I ts one of his trademark things he does he is very superstitious and does a number of rhings before the race,

As for the sticking the leg out before a turn, that is not a new technique and racers have been doing it long before Rossi! If you watch the motogp movie Faster you will see John Hopkins doing it when he was racing his 500cc two stroke against everyone else on 990cc fours!

I'd be inclinded to agree with Racer on this one: the only reason I know to move the leg is to get the foot into position for a left, after shifting gears.

It's like with Doohan and the whole thumb activated rear brake, that was a fad for a while, then went away. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was laughing in his Cheerios (or whatever he eats).

C

...and uses it as stress relief.

No. We're talking about his leg... :)

LOL!

Here's what I heard...With GP shift pattern if you are downshifting into a tight left hand corner and braking hard you need to get your foot out from under the shifter for ground clearance. When you take your foot off the peg inertia from hard braking makes it swing forward.

If you noticed, it was when Rossi was really braking hard and taking a tighter line that his foot really swung out there.

No to the inertia thing.

He only sticks his leg out when he's doing a hairbrained passing manuever deep into the corner.

I doubt there is a technical reason he does it. Let's remember that EVERYTHING Rossi does is not magic. :-)

I doubt there is a technical reason he does it. Let's remember that EVERYTHING Rossi does is not magic. :-)

That's what I think too. It's like when you sit in someone's car and think they should be braking. At least for me, I get the urge to stick my feet out as far as possible. Just a SR.

Prefacing this as a slow, slow rider, I can imagine Rossi sticking the leg out as a SR and also to help him maintain focus on his controls. An outlet for his restlessness as he charges deep into the corner.

LOL!

yeah, me too :)

CF

:P And here I am, probably the youngest one and NOT having my mind in the gutter. haha.

:P And here I am, probably the youngest one and NOT having my mind in the gutter. haha.

Younger than 16? that is my maturity and emotional developement at any rate, about 16. That way when my kids are taking to long with something, I can say, "Hey, I have a short attention span! :)"

When you take your foot off the peg inertia from hard braking makes it swing forward.

If you noticed, it was when Rossi was really braking hard and taking a tighter line that his foot really swung out there.

*slaps forehead*

Bingo! Buy that man a beverage.

Good answer, mate! I can't believe I didn't think of that. DOH! :rolleyes:

I'm going to watch some videos to see if I can tell when he lets off the brake and if it corollates to the foot coming back up on the peg.

LOL!

I had to read that post twice as my juvenile mind saw ...

They believe that it's Rossi's SR's and that he throws it out when he is starting to get harder than normal and uses it as stress relief.

... the first time through. :P

That way when my kids are taking to long with something, I can say, "Hey, I have a short attention span! :)"

So that's where Keith got the idea for AADD (Adult Attention Deficit Disorder)...

I've noticed that he does it when he needs to go in deep. I saw him do it and overshoot his turn-in. Maybe it's a Rossi SR (LOL) and others (Pedrosa) are now emulating The Doctor .

Did anyone notice him doing it again at the Valencia race? Did anyone notice Casey Stoner also doing it? Did anyone notice that it was clearly during Oh- Sh** moments?

I've noticed that he does it when he needs to go in deep. I saw him do it and overshoot his turn-in. Maybe it's a Rossi SR (LOL) and others (Pedrosa) are now emulating The Doctor .

Did anyone notice him doing it again at the Valencia race? Did anyone notice Casey Stoner also doing it? Did anyone notice that it was clearly during Oh- Sh** moments?

Troy Bayliss does it too

I always thought it was a mental thing, there doesn't seem to be a physical reason for it and its when he is pushing the limit. Maybe its a technique hes using to mentaly handle the corner.

Seems he has very strict pre-race actions, sits next to his bike before the warm up does the warm up lap stops stands pulls at his arse all putting his head in 'Race mode'. All physical actions that prepare him mentally.

Enter a corner too fast, I dont stick my leg out but shout in my helmet 'Look', stops me target fixating as it makes me look at the Apex :-)

Hey, it isn't just Rossi;

Watching the SBK races this weekend showed Bayliss among others doing it and it seemed to be more pronounced later in the races as their tires were wearing out. In Bayliss' case, it seemed that he dropped his left leg right as he initiated turn in almost like he wanted to make sure he still had grip before fully commiting to the lean.

Kevin